Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Confirmed upgrade before checking w/o SNA?

Confirmed upgrade before checking w/o SNA?

Old Oct 8, 19, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
If a guest does mobile check in, as was done for this booking, the welcome gift option is defaulted to points.
I always receive a message to that effect when I do mobile check in.

Yes, I concur it has no effect on my upgrade.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 11:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I find that long as Iím paying cash (typically standard member flex rate) for a standard room in a Marriott hotel in China, I get pre-upgraded to a suite, without exceptions unless the hotel is full, days or weeks ahead of time. With point stays I typically would have to request ahead of time via the chat function and I almost always get upgraded to a suite or at least a studio/ corner room. Titanium status. This did NOT happen when I was Platinum.
Old Oct 11, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Otherwise, OLCI doesn't prevent you from getting suite upgrades, nor does it lock in your suite if you've been pre-assigned to one.
I agree that checking in online has not made a difference in upgrades for me, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
With point stays I typically would have to request ahead of time via the chat function and I almost always get upgraded to a suite or at least a studio/ corner room. Titanium status. This did NOT happen when I was Platinum.
Speaking of the chat function (and emails), my experience has been that agents are helpful about sorting out room issues, and making upgrades to particular rooms. In addition, I have often met those agents in person later, which seems to have smoothed the in-hotel experience as well.
Old Oct 16, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
I want to clarify my reading of this specific thread. My understanding to date, based on years of experience at a wide range of hotels, has been the following: Upgrades often show up in the app ahead of time. They can be retracted until you actually do mobile check-in, at which time they become confirmed. Right so far? Then does it not make sense that if you do mobile check-in showing the room type you actually booked, you are accepting this as your final choice? This has been confirmed to me on several occasions when I actually arrive at the hotel, with clerks saying that I have accepted the room choice by checking in online and that they would need "management override" to change my room type. Usually they just say no upgrade was available. There seems to be a suggestion here that somehow you can still get upgraded. I'm thinking this is not the case if you use mobile check-in. When I have not checked in on the mobile app (either because it didn't work or I wanted to negotiate at the front desk) I have had significant success with upgrades. Agree in advance - not at all. "What's done is done" was one front desk comment.
Old Oct 16, 19, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yyzflyer View Post
I want to clarify my reading of this specific thread. My understanding to date, based on years of experience at a wide range of hotels, has been the following: Upgrades often show up in the app ahead of time. They can be retracted until you actually do mobile check-in, at which time they become confirmed. Right so far? Then does it not make sense that if you do mobile check-in showing the room type you actually booked, you are accepting this as your final choice? This has been confirmed to me on several occasions when I actually arrive at the hotel, with clerks saying that I have accepted the room choice by checking in online and that they would need "management override" to change my room type. Usually they just say no upgrade was available. There seems to be a suggestion here that somehow you can still get upgraded. I'm thinking this is not the case if you use mobile check-in. When I have not checked in on the mobile app (either because it didn't work or I wanted to negotiate at the front desk) I have had significant success with upgrades. Agree in advance - not at all. "What's done is done" was one front desk comment.
Your understanding is incorrect. I get upgraded all the time after checking in when the mobile app reflects the room I originally booked. I always check in with the mobile app as early as possible:
Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in.

My procedure is to check-in so I get access to the chat function, and then contact the hotel to politely request an upgrade to a suite or another higher category room type I see is available.
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Your understanding is incorrect. I get upgraded all the time after checking in when the mobile app reflects the room I originally booked. I always check in with the mobile app as early as possible:

My procedure is to check-in so I get access to the chat function, and then contact the hotel to politely request an upgrade to a suite or another higher category room type I see is available.
To say my understanding is incorrect based entirely on your luck is a bit of a stretch. If you've had success in beating the system - great. I have had conversations with several front desk personnel and managers that confirm my position. I have been told that by clicking on "Check in" on the app, you are agreeing to the "terms and conditions" at that time. Your room is blocked at that time and any modification after that point is entirely dependent on the good will of the hotel in question. Kudos on your success; I would suggest it is far from typical.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yyzflyer View Post
To say my understanding is incorrect based entirely on your luck is a bit of a stretch. If you've had success in beating the system - great. I have had conversations with several front desk personnel and managers that confirm my position. I have been told that by clicking on "Check in" on the app, you are agreeing to the "terms and conditions" at that time. Your room is blocked at that time and any modification after that point is entirely dependent on the good will of the hotel in question. Kudos on your success; I would suggest it is far from typical.
I don't think it's a stretch. If it worked the way you described my experience would be impossible, as my room would be locked in and could not be changed. It seems clear that is not how the system works. I've never needed any sort of "management override" either. Any FDA can make these changes.

I will say that I tend to stay at Marriott's luxury properties that are well known or personally known to myself to treat elite members well, and I doubt any of them would deny an available upgrade they would have given otherwise just because I did OLCI.

I can see why some properties would try to pull that as an excuse to avoid giving an upgrade and I probably wouldn't patronize them again if they did. Other people on FT have reported properties claiming they can't do an upgrade because a prepaid rate doesn't allow a room type change, which isn't true, but it's an example of how some properties will simply make things up to avoid giving upgrades.
Otherwise, OLCI doesn't prevent you from getting suite upgrades, nor does it lock in your suite if you've been pre-assigned to one.
Also this. At the JW Singapore I had an SNA clear, and I did OLCI, and then had that suite downgraded afterward. Having done OLCI I was able to use chat to demand the return of my SNAs, and I ended up being able to keep the lesser suite which was still very nice. OLCI is no lock-in, whether it be to the room you booked, or a pre-check-in upgrade.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 16, 19 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post

My experience as well!
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
I had a check in yesterday, I had booked two basic rooms and was assigned two club rooms about 4 days out on the app. After I checked in the rooms changed back to the original booked room. Fair enough if the hotel was full etc.. however, I had taken a screenshot of it by chance and on check in I showed the front staff.

They confirmed there were plenty of rooms available and for a 'promotional fee' they could give me two club rooms (again). After a bit of a discussion the best they could do was to give one room the upgrade then for the second room they would only charge one of the two people the lounge fee promotion instead of both. We settled for this as it worked out around £75 total for three nights.

Whilst I don't expect upgrades this experience seems a little disappointing that they would assign these rooms prior to check in then remove them despite plenty of availability.
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC as a Bonvoy Plat, you're entitled to lounge access for you plus one guest sharing your room. You should be upgraded to the best available room at check in, including club floor (but not Sheraton Towers, etc. nor anything at a RC).

There are so many exceptions based on brand/region/convention and resort hotel status, etc. that it's hard to know exactly to what you were untitled without further details, including whether you booked an eligible rate or booked with Marriott, etc.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IIRC as a Bonvoy Plat, you're entitled to lounge access for you plus one guest sharing your room. You should be upgraded to the best available room at check in, including club floor (but not Sheraton Towers, etc. nor anything at a RC).

There are so many exceptions based on brand/region/convention and resort hotel status, etc. that it's hard to know exactly to what you were untitled without further details, including whether you booked an eligible rate or booked with Marriott, etc.
Hangover plus purposely keeping it vague but yes happy with the benefits I am entitled to but I also understand those benefits are only to my room. Yes I did book direct. The disappointment is that the rooms were available but the hotel chose to remove the upgrades and then tried to make me pay for them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: