Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

200 nights but no Ambassador Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN

Well I just did the math. I'm going to have ~215 nights in 2019, but the spend is only $80/nt which only gets to $18k. I'm living in a Towneplace for work. We are sort of lucky to get points anyway as the company is direct billing, so I can't really complain.

It does show $20k is quite a high threshold and requires a lot of expensive nights!

Hard to believe I won't qualify for Ambassador with that many nights.

Anyone had any luck requesting it anyway? Ideas?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I have the same question, but from the other perspective. I'm only at 36 paid nights for the year but $20,278 in spend. I doubt I'll get all the way up to 100 nights, so will probably be requesting an exception to renew my Ambassador status for next year. We'll both see how it goes!
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
DJ_Iceman That's nearly $600/night in spend...wow. Seems at least worth the ask (if nothing else, there's a clear case for a soft-land if I ever saw one).
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I'll have 300 nights this year and will probably just barely make 20K
I am currently at 230 nights and 16K spend

AC Hotel in Mexico for 100 of those nights. Room with a Balcony on the gulf - $63 usd a night
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I have the same question, but from the other perspective. I'm only at 36 paid nights for the year but $20,278 in spend. I doubt I'll get all the way up to 100 nights, so will probably be requesting an exception to renew my Ambassador status for next year. We'll both see how it goes!
Haha yeah if someone wants to spend $20k, in what crazy world wouldn't they be rewarded with top-tier status? You think Marriott would do anything to keep that person. Us bottom feeders on the other hand, someone made a decision to keep us out of the club because of cash. The only reason I would like the bump is i can't imagine next year I'll get Plat, so would be nice to get the soft-drop from Amb to Plat, if the soft drop is really a thing.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
would be nice to get the soft-drop from Amb to Plat, if the soft drop is really a thing.
The soft landing would be from Amb to Tit. No?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Even if they don’t give you Amb you already qualified for titanium so no soft landing required
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:33 pm

Not quite the same, but I will have around 120 nights by the end of the year, but only end up with $18K. No Ambassador for me. Damn government rates!

I don't care about having Ambassador Service but the Your24 would be very nice.

As it is, the 4 PM checkout is awesome, but it would be nice to make it even later sometimes.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I'll have 300 nights this year and will probably just barely make 20K
I am currently at 230 nights and 16K spend

AC Hotel in Mexico for 100 of those nights. Room with a Balcony on the gulf - $63 usd a night
Is that inclusive of tax? If so then I know where I’m going to clear my mind for a while.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Is that inclusive of tax? If so then I know where I’m going to clear my mind for a while.

AC Hotel Veracruz
$63 including tax and breakfast
That was a corporate rate stay based on several of us staying for 2 6 week periods, plus an additional 3 weeks of various people staying. Rack rate was about $67 for a normal room and $78 for the balcony room
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
AC Hotel Veracruz
$63 including tax and breakfast
That was a corporate rate stay based on several of us staying for 2 6 week periods, plus an additional 3 weeks of various people staying. Rack rate was about $67 for a normal room and $78 for the balcony room
That’s not too bad at all! I need to explore more of México through Delta & AeroMexico.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
Oops that's what I was going for. Amb->Titanium soft landing. Not sure what else Titanium gets you over Plat though.

I hadn't even seen Your24, that would really come in handy if it works. I seem to consistently have no problem with 4pm, I don' t quite know how they check it in the system, but when I ask for late checkout they always do a frown, almost setting me up for a "I'm sorry sir we cannot," and then seem surprised when it tells them they must do 4pm. Anyone else have that experience?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Not sure what else Titanium gets you over Plat though.

A few more points, 48 hour sold out hotel override, and Silver status on UA.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
With some of these rates I feel like I need to hunker down in a few of these areas. Given that you're talking Mexico, how's security? How's the area for food, etc., for a longer term non-tourist stay both on quality and cost?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Your24 is not exactly a compelling benefit these days as Marriott lets properties get away with just about anything (including denying the requests)...oh and Marriott also reduced transparency in making the request.
EuropeanPete and supatight80 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.