FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bad incident related to removal of single use toiletries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1989866-bad-incident-related-removal-single-use-toiletries.html)

JordanYVR Oct 3, 2019 9:13 am

Bad incident related to removal of single use toiletries

I was going to post this on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...y-bottles.html, but thought it deserved a new thread as it's not related to the environmental part of the discussion.

I have an experience from a current stay (not mine) to share and wanted to see what the community thought was the appropriate way to follow up.

At this property, in the shower are three large toiletry bottles - soap, shampoo and conditioner. After using them for several days it was noticed that the soap bottle had the tamper proof bracket removed. On closer inspection, the bottle was filled mostly with water, and what looked like semen. This bottle was then compared to with the soap in the other room and it was very evidently tampered with. I've attached a photo to show how the bottle was not secured, but have not attached a photo of the bottle itself.

The bottle was taken to the front desk, and the associate was horrified and sent up a replacement bottle, and arranged an opportunity to meet with a manager in the morning. In the morning, a manager offered his sincerest apologies, as well as 5000 points and the option to switch rooms. He also said he needed to investigate further and meet with the team. The hotel is in possession of the bottle.

I was horrified to hear of this as well. 5000 points seem astronomically low for the incident, but I'm also not sure what proper recourse would be in this situation. I also think the hotels need to look for this type of thing when a room is changed over for the next guest.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...112e7d584.jpeg
Tamper proof bracket removed, soap bottle missing

UKTraveller4Fun Oct 3, 2019 9:29 am

I think the big thing here is the lack of tamper proof bracket and it should be policy that they brackets have to be in place otherwise housekeeping should not be allowed to clear the room as being fit for guests.

I would never personally use a bottle that was not fitted into a tamper proof setting as its to open to contamination. In regards the issues on this occasion and the possible contents I think I shall leave others to comment as it is pure speculation as to what was in the bottle or if it simply had been watered down and the getl reacted to this or a previous guest had indeed done something with it.

Points award should not have been mode so quickly, they should have suggested carrying out a full examination and speak to housekeeping to establish the procedures or lack of them and then the Hotel Manager should speak to the guest and make appropriate recompense. Not sure handing over the bottle without a sample is a wise move however.

pa3lsvt Oct 3, 2019 9:34 am

And this is why I carry my own shampoo and soap. I take the sample sized lotions home for the better half, but there are plenty of times where they are clearly partially full and not unused. No way I'm using the pump-dispense shower amenities, ever.

arlflyer Oct 3, 2019 10:21 am

Honestly, I hate to say it but I would not be surprised to see a lot of sabotage, especially stuff that can go viral or get in the news, going on by people who want to force a push back to single-use items.

JBord Oct 3, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31590117)
Honestly, I hate to say it but I would not be surprised to see a lot of sabotage, especially stuff that can go viral or get in the news, going on by people who want to force a push back to single-use items.

I think we'll see it by all kinds of people. Just like those idiots who film themselves licking ice cream and other items in grocery stores. Sabotage to push toward single use items would be the least of my worries. People do this stuff just so they can send it to their friends or post online, and become famous for a few minutes.

escapefromphl Oct 3, 2019 11:27 am

These dispensers need to be 100% tamper-proof - this should not be so difficult. You can not rely on people’s decency in this age.

kalo93406 Oct 3, 2019 11:33 am

Sorry Dude.. 5000 points seems generous. What does semen look like after several days anyway? ;)

seanp7 Oct 3, 2019 11:57 am

Semen is speculation. Without meaning to be graphic or gross, lots of soaps/conditioners can look like that - so it's going to be hard to tell when this happens.

5000 points seems fine, as you complained and got a replacement bottle.

I'm with everyone else on the tamper-proof requirements, of course.

clublounger Oct 3, 2019 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR (Post 31589869)

I have an experience from a current stay (not mine) to share and wanted to see what the community thought was the appropriate way to follow up.

Second hand stories don't belong on FlyerTalk. Post your own experiences. There are enough credibility and fact issues with the first-hand posts.

KosherKimchee Oct 3, 2019 12:17 pm

This is like a bar exam question. "A witness testified that he was told by another that the bottle appeared to contain semen. In support of the testimony, the witness offered a single photo of a missing bottle. State your evidentiary objections and rationale for objecting to such testimony."

bitterproffit Oct 3, 2019 12:19 pm

The single use toiletries were NEVER tamper proof.

Speaking of proof, this is a second hand story with a pic of a missing bottle.

Gig103 Oct 3, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 31590623)

Assuming like I did that fresh toiletries always are supplied in room changeover, said tampering was previously limited to staff or suppliers which is far less likely. And tampering with those minis is more time consuming by potential perpetrators so the impact is likely to be less widespread.

EuropeanPete Oct 3, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31590765)
Assuming like I did that fresh toiletries always are supplied in room changeover, said tampering was previously limited to staff or suppliers which is far less likely. And tampering with those minis is more time consuming by potential perpetrators so the impact is likely to be less widespread.

All you have to do to tamper with a mini is inject a syringe, it can be done in 30 seconds - much less time than it would take to fill up exhibit A here with what is allegedly a mix of water and semen. I have also rarely come across a hotel which will throw out all unused miniatures, so I think you might get a nasty shock if you ask someone in housekeeping how things work.

zerosideslip Oct 3, 2019 1:45 pm

Seems to me like there might be people making all sorts of claims to get compensation along the lines of "look what I found in my food."

bitterproffit Oct 3, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31590765)

Why do you assume fresh toiletries are always supplied in the room changeover. If I don't use the conditioner, is it changed? If I only use the lotion once and put it back in its place, is it automatically replaced. Do they just throw all the toiletries out after every stay whether you use them or not?

I have no hair, so if they throw out the unopened shampoo and conditioner after every stay, what a phenomenal waste.

Lets use logic.

The large sized toiletries are ALWAYS tamper proof.

How does it stand to reason that suddenly now that they are tamper proof, they are going to be more messed with?