Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Room delayed and downgraded after SNA booking accepted. Recourse?

Room delayed and downgraded after SNA booking accepted. Recourse?

Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WRONG. When a SNA clears, it gives you a *confirmed* reservation for a particular suite type. It's not an upgrade based on availability at the time of check in.
Thanks for clarification.

I have also same problem. The hotel clears my SNA but they did not give me the room that I requested for SNA. The issue, it did not show up in the Marriott apps.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe that is the issue with SNA .... the request confirmation and approved emails never stated which rooms selected and approved.

Hard to prove that member only select and got approved for certain suite/room type
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Well KRSW whilst you’ve listed theoretical low value redemption but anyone can list Redemptions they’d never take because the value was so low - I remember seeing a $50 rate on a 25k property, 0.25c/pt - I can’t imagine anyone would choose that redemption, but by your valuing process it looks like you should!

To actually understand the value of the 25,000 points you have to look at what value you can get, and a good starting point is the values people are redeeming at, where they’re choosing to burn their points and bhrubin has listed his real redemptions that clearly show he’s getting approx 1c on his cat 7/8 hotel choices. Not that you need to be a regular at Bonvoys top properties to achieve those values. You see every time I plan a leisure stay I look at the possibility of redeeming and if the value is good - around a cent - I redeem, if not I pay and hence earn. Last year I redeemed only 3 nights, in fact I spent 2 weeks in Orlando at Bonvoy properties and chose to pay - redemption value there is very poor. This year I’ve redeemed 23 nights as below, it all depends on the value

July Cat 4 Sopot Sheraton 7/nt 150k saving $1,700
Aug Cat 5 Langley Lux Collection 2 room-nights 70k saving $800
Aug Cat 4 Gava Mar AC 6 room-nights 150k saving $1,300
Aug Cat 2 Oxford Courtyard 5/nt 50k saving $800
Nov Cat 5 Houston Marriott Marquis 2/nt 70k saving $750
Nov Cat 5 Woodlands Waterway Marriott 30k saving $250

So, this year I’ve redeemed 520,000 points for $5,600, all at Cat 2-5 properties. Easily meeting my personal 1c per point valuation.

So turning to OPs dismissal of the hotels “nothing” 25,000 point offer. Bearing in mind OP was using a 35k credit card voucher it’s clear the points offer represents at least 2/3rds, and by the looks of it maybe 100% of the nightly redemption rate so against what was “paid” I’d say 25,000 points is far, far from nothing - and in terms of real value I’d make it worth $250 which in my view is a generous offer. I’d have very graciously accepted!

As for OPs complaint that Marriott offers no shortcut to Platinum and going over to Hilton, I’ve good news for him - as long as he’s a US resident Hilton offers an AMEX that comes with its top Diamond status. He might find that more to his liking - he’ll certainly find 25,000 Hilton points to be far closer to his “nothing” valuation!
$50.00/25,000 points = 0.2 cents per point, not .25c/pt.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lingua101
I have also same problem. The hotel clears my SNA but they did not give me the room that I requested for SNA. The issue, it did not show up in the Marriott apps.
That is a not uncommon problem. The property will claim it's Marriott, but my personal belief is it's the property messing with your reservation b/c they don't want to give away the suite.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a not uncommon problem. The property will claim it's Marriott, but my personal belief is it's the property messing with your reservation b/c they don't want to give away the suite.

I not only received an email CONFIRMING the upgrade but the app reflected it as well. And ,the auto-"welcome email" some properties send out. My whole deal is yea, 25k points may be what that hotel sells at. Even though random search results in 30k night stays for bottom tier room....I have yet to receive my SNA back further degrading the experience I had.

To me it seems like they just wanted to 'honor' the reservation. NOT give it away....
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well actually the hotel did give me executive suite due to my Platinum Status. I told him, normally, I will take this. But since I have done SNA on the specific suite and the hotel accept it, then I am expecting I get that type of room (and now any other suite).

And surprisingly they are a legacy SPG hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Middleseatguy
I not only received an email CONFIRMING the upgrade but the app reflected it as well. And ,the auto-"welcome email" some properties send out. My whole deal is yea, 25k points may be what that hotel sells at. Even though random search results in 30k night stays for bottom tier room....I have yet to receive my SNA back further degrading the experience I had.

To me it seems like they just wanted to 'honor' the reservation. NOT give it away....
I did receive this email but I did not received the updated reservation details.

As I highlighted in red the email also said, the upgrade is confirmed and cannot be cancelled unless the reservation itself is being cancelled.

UPGRADE CONFIRMED

Good news — your Suite Night Awards™ request has been fulfilled and an upgraded room is awaiting your arrival.

Here are your award details:

Reservation confirmation number: xxxxxxxx

Hotel: MD LE MERIDIEN xxxxxxxxx

Stay dates: 2019-09-06 through 2019-09-08

Suite Night Award(s) requested: 2

Suite Night Award(s) remaining in your account: 3

Keep this email for your records. You will also receive an updated reservation confirmation email. To immediately access the new information about your reservation, log in to your account anytime.

Now that your Suite Night Award(s) request has been confirmed, you cannot cancel it unless you cancel the entire reservation before 2 p.m. local hotel time one day before you arrive. After that time, cancellation of the reservation will result in forfeiture of all the Suite Night Award(s) applied to the entire reservation. This is in addition to any other cancellation penalties applicable to the reservation itself. See terms and conditions for full details on Suite Night Award(s).

Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I had a similar (but not identical experience). I had an SNA confirm in a small Paris hotel and then when I got there I got a message that sorry, there was no suite. Their offer was some hotel benefit (which I never ended up using) plus a guaranteed upgrade on my next stay. The next time they gave me the top suite in the hotel (probably not in the SNA pool), so it all kind of worked out.

Somehow in the SPG days (and I still miss William's presence in this forum) it seems that when these sorts of things happened (and yes they happened under SPG) there was an effort to find an equitable solution.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ckendall
I had a similar (but not identical experience). I had an SNA confirm in a small Paris hotel and then when I got there I got a message that sorry, there was no suite. Their offer was some hotel benefit (which I never ended up using) plus a guaranteed upgrade on my next stay. The next time they gave me the top suite in the hotel (probably not in the SNA pool), so it all kind of worked out.

Somehow in the SPG days (and I still miss William's presence in this forum) it seems that when these sorts of things happened (and yes they happened under SPG) there was an effort to find an equitable solution.
This wouldn't work at all if you didn't want to go back to the hotel. Also, by the time you return, management could have changed, the place could have left Starriott and been reflagged, etc., so one can't count on such promises unless you're returning very soon. Plus, for some people, the suite is wanted on a particular stay which is a special occasion, etc.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lingua101
And surprisingly they are a legacy SPG hotel.
All my SNA problems have been at legacy SPG properties.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I stayed 2 weeks ago at the Sheraton on the Falls hotel. I had an emailed SNA confirmation, but at check-in was told "as a Platinum member, we upgraded you to a room with a view." I told him it was supposed to be a suite, and he said no. I showed him my confirmation email, he looked at his screen again, and said - "oh yes, it IS a suite." I didn't feel like arguing so I just went to my (regular) room. After my stay, I filled out the survey - don't know that I have ever provided a negative survey before - and the Assistant GM wrote back to say the SNA should not have been removed from my account. I wrote back to say it was. He said he'd try to fix it.

At this point I just don't care about it. I hate having to fight for these things. When Hyatt confirms a suite, I get the suite.

Related, I'll update the review for that Sheraton also. It was not a good stay overall.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by NJNY
I stayed 2 weeks ago at the Sheraton on the Falls hotel. I had an emailed SNA confirmation, but at check-in was told "as a Platinum member, we upgraded you to a room with a view." I told him it was supposed to be a suite, and he said no. I showed him my confirmation email, he looked at his screen again, and said - "oh yes, it IS a suite." I didn't feel like arguing so I just went to my (regular) room. After my stay, I filled out the survey - don't know that I have ever provided a negative survey before - and the Assistant GM wrote back to say the SNA should not have been removed from my account. I wrote back to say it was. He said he'd try to fix it.

At this point I just don't care about it. I hate having to fight for these things. When Hyatt confirms a suite, I get the suite.

Related, I'll update the review for that Sheraton also. It was not a good stay overall.

So sound to me it is not property specific issue. I thought the property should be compensated by Marriott corporate for any SNA certificate.

I am very sure the amount is mariginal. But I am quite sure the property should only take the SNA if they think they cannot sell the room.

So if they take the SNA why they do not want to give away the room.

That's precisely my point to the property. I told them, you took the SNA and yet you dont want to give me a room. Actually I do not need that big suite room, but it is a matter of principle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.