Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Please note – The self-parking fee at this hotel is USD 6 per vehicle per night.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please note – The self-parking fee at this hotel is USD 6 per vehicle per night.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Bigbearcatcher
I have a similar travel pattern to you, 20 or so countries, mostly in Europe and I have travelled extensively in the States (25+ States) and outside large city centres such as London, Paris, Barcelona, San Francisco e.t.c paying for parking is definitely not the norm, but unsure if I have a unusual travel experience/pattern.

As an example, I currently live in Oxford, pop ca. 150k so about double the size of Grand Junction which is what was guessed earlier in this thread as the city in question.(I was actually in Grand Junction in June, stayed in the DoubleTrees, it had free parking)

In Oxford there are the following hotels within/near the ring road: Holiday Inn, Jurys Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, 2 x Travelodge, and a Premier Inn, all similar to the Fairfield Inn in standard and only the Courtyard, which is a city centre location, charges for parking. All the others are free.

I even stayed at a HGI in Mestre, Venice last month, 5-10 minutes bus to San Lucia train station, free parking.

In my experience across small town USA and Europe, parking is almost always free with the exception of large city centre locations.
I normally only travel to big cities with a few exceptions. I'm trying to avoid places outside big cities and off the main highway as I have some unpleasant experiences this year.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been to Colorado many times, but not in the last several years: Denver many times. Colorado Springs multiple times, Boulder, Aurora, Aspen, Vail, and some small place near the airport that starts with E, but never the small places during ski season.
Crazy explosion of growth in the mountain towns over the past decade. Places having gated/paid parking year round is thus not surprising to me at all.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
I think I'm ready to cancel my Marriott Bonvoy card.
You serious? Over $42? While I agree that the fee is ridiculous, it's a balancing test for me. I might choose not to stay in that property again, but stop staying at Marriott properties altogether? Over $42?? Nah, not me.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The likelihood of this happening is close to zero. The main customer of a hotel group like Marriott are the hotel owners. No hotel group is going to tell their customers they can't charge what they feel is appropriate for a product or service.

Imagine a 160-room limited-service hotel. If it runs at 80% occupancy and 80% of guests park a car at $6/night, that's $224,256 in annual revenue. That's a lot of money for a hotel in a rural location or one along the interstate.

If a hotel group decided to prohibit parking fees at some locations, I guarantee that at the end of their contracts those hotels would be moving to a competitor that doesn't micro-manage their franchises.
This.

A quarter of a million dollars. It's not nickels and dimes. If you are the property down the road which does not charge (and has the space), you are the fool.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cln
Here in Europe i'm used to the 30-40 EURO parking chages... sometimes the parking is almost half of the room rate *_*
That's great if the Marriott in question picks up itself and redeposits itself in Europe...but that's not the case.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by Often1
A quarter of a million dollars. It's not nickels and dimes. If you are the property down the road which does not charge (and has the space), you are the fool.
I’m not sure I agree. I posted upthread about two stays that Hilton got from me specifically because the Marriott property nearby charged a nuisance parking fee. Both stays were multi night stays with the final bill exceeding $300 in each case. Marriott lost a sale totaling hundreds of dollars over a $10 per night parking fee...talk about being penny wise and dollar foolish. I’m sure the local Hampton Inn down the road is a big fan of the Fairfield Inn parking fee!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
Marriott lost a sale totaling hundreds of dollars over a $10 per night parking fee...talk about being penny wise and dollar foolish.
Eh not really. Quick search suggests that property-level gross margins run about 30%, so $60 on a $200/night stay. $6/night parking fee is pure margin so they can scare off 10% of customers without replacement and still come out ahead. And that's using GM; NOPAT or such would be a better metric but I couldn't as easily find numbers (thought if GM is 30%, probably would be 15-20%).

At today's occupancy rates the numbers are on their side. Math is a funny thing. But of course people pounding the table on the Internet know better than professional industry operators.

If / when the economy tanks then of course everyone will be singing a different tune and they'll be crawling and begging for us to stay.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
I’m not sure I agree. I posted upthread about two stays that Hilton got from me specifically because the Marriott property nearby charged a nuisance parking fee. Both stays were multi night stays with the final bill exceeding $300 in each case. Marriott lost a sale totaling hundreds of dollars over a $10 per night parking fee...talk about being penny wise and dollar foolish. I’m sure the local Hampton Inn down the road is a big fan of the Fairfield Inn parking fee!
The $6 goes straight to the bottom line while room revenue does not.

You are also an outlier. Pretty much every piece of marketing research out there shows that most people don't look at ancillary costs such as parking when choosing their location. Either it's not much or it's being reimbursed or they are annoyed but not too much.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You serious? Over $42? While I agree that the fee is ridiculous, it's a balancing test for me. I might choose not to stay in that property again, but stop staying at Marriott properties altogether? Over $42?? Nah, not me.
Principle not the amount...and this is just 1 stay...where does it end? But maybe you are a Marriott-lover? Love is blind....

But I've been enlightened in this thread that it is the individual franchisee not Marriott itself. A check of some other Residence Inns in Colorado showed no parking fees. So redirecting my "hate"...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

You are also an outlier. Pretty much every piece of marketing research out there shows that most people don't look at ancillary costs such as parking when choosing their location. Either it's not much or it's being reimbursed or they are annoyed but not too much.
But also, the last 30 years of US commercial development has shown that businesses (or indeed industries) which have relied the most on bad profits have been the ones which have most quickly been disrupted. Obviously this forum isn’t the best place for a CEO-level debate about how honest one should be about one’s sources of revenue, but by now there is a clear consensus in the (surviving) Fortune 500 which clearly does not include Marriott.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

People are tired of nonsense fees. Just like the safety box fee and electricity surcharge fees they tried 10-20 years ago.

Parking charges at a podunk property is a pure money grab. It leaves a bad taste in customers mouth, especially if not communicated clearly and in advance. What’s next, a resort fee?

Unless the property is cheaper to book, it will cost them business. Now, as you say, the $6 goes straight to the bottom line. If a property has 150 rooms, an average occupancy of 75%, and average room rate of $100, and a 30% margin, the profit per room is $22.50 per room, per day. $6 a day is huge profit increase. They might figure that if they lose less than 20% of customers, they’re still ahead.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I am actually a bit curious if either of you have been to many of the CO mountain towns lately, in any season. I was in a number of them over the summer and it is really crazy how they have exploded in popularity and development. I-70W from Denver on a Friday afternoon is just as bad in July as in ski season. It doesn't surprise me at all that properties are implementing fees to try to keep their lots manageable (and yeah, make a buck).
There are four Residence Inns in western CO. Three are in mountain resort towns and all have complimentary parking.

The fourth RI on the western slope is in a remote area surrounded by open fields next to the GJT airport, and it charges for self parking.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
The fourth RI on the western slope is in a remote area surrounded by open fields next to the GJT airport, and it charges for self parking.
If this is the property in question, then you've pretty much nailed the reason, as was noted upthread.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If this is the property in question, then you've pretty much nailed the reason, as was noted upthread.
Read MORE carefully....the Springhill and Fairfield also charge for parking.....this thread is like that game of telephone....you write something and people twist it...just like history, the bible, and everything else...except this isn't even a fraction as complicated.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Read MORE carefully....the Springhill and Fairfield also charge for parking.....this thread is like that game of telephone....you write something and people twist it...just like history, the bible, and everything else...except this isn't even a fraction as complicated.
Looks like those ones are downtown though which could be the reason those ones do?

As noted above though, the main issue is if the parking charge existed when the reservation was made, in which case you should be able to fight it. Searching "parking" within the TripAdvisor reviews, there are a few reviews from the last few months upset about a parking fee they were unaware of, so it may be a recent change (and 1 person said they were even charged for parking on the street).

Edit: interestingly, if you go to the TripAdvisor pages for the RI, SHS and FI, the SHS and FI both show "paid public parking on site," whereas the RI just says "parking," leading me to believe that the charge for parking there is a recent change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.