Points reservation but tiny cash component?

Old Sep 22, 19, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Points reservation but tiny cash component?

Booking the Renaissance Charleston for 2 nights on full points. However, the booking page and confirmation shows a $4.36 charge under Government Fees and Taxes. Any idea what this is?
Old Sep 22, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post
Booking the Renaissance Charleston for 2 nights on full points. However, the booking page and confirmation shows a $4.36 charge under Government Fees and Taxes. Any idea what this is?
It's Fees and Taxes imposed by the Government.
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Except that bonvOY terms and conditions 3.2.e states that point redemptions cover:

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
EuropeanPete and belfordrocks like this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Also have $12 for a 3 night stay at AC Tucson showing up.
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past when there were similar issues, the resolution was that customers didn't pay any taxes (or hotel service charges) based on a percentage of the room rate paid as whatever percent of zero is zero, but there are a few jurisdictions in which there is something like a per person (or per room) per night flat fee, and in such cases, the guest usually does pay these minimal government imposed charges. However, IIRC there were instances of hotels charging all guests tourism development fees (or similar names) which were, in fact, voluntary contributions to local governments.
Old Sep 23, 19, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Yes, but aren't those covered as part of the redemption? I don't think I've ever had to pay those fees in the past, let alone showing on two of my US reservations. I get that resort / destination fees are separate and not covered...
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but aren't those covered as part of the redemption? I don't think I've ever had to pay those fees in the past, let alone showing on two of my US reservations. I get that resort / destination fees are separate and not covered...
Per person, or per night, local taxes has been around for years. Those are, however, mostly in Europe and I have not experienced it in USA. Those taxes are imposed by local government and properties are liable for them. They either have to pass it to guests or absorb them.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Per person, or per night, local taxes has been around for years. Those are, however, mostly in Europe and I have not experienced it in USA. Those taxes are imposed by local government and properties are liable for them. They either have to pass it to guests or absorb them.
Just did a check for redeeming Hyatt points in the same cities - no additional $ charges. Just 100% points for 2 people. I guess this is a Bonvoy change to not cover all local taxes and fees with a points redemption?
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Odds are itís another IT screw up - 50% chance of customers actually being ripped off by it. If not, this could be the beginning of another major unannounced policy change, but Iíd guess thatís less likely.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did the property say when you called to ask?
writerguyfl and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just did a check for redeeming Hyatt points in the same cities - no additional $ charges. Just 100% points for 2 people. I guess this is a Bonvoy change to not cover all local taxes and fees with a points redemption?
IME Hyatt routinely covers these per person or per room per day charges on award stays. I know this courtesy is routinely extended to me at PHV in Paris even though my reservation confirmation shows the charge of a couple Euros.
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Odds are itís another IT screw up - 50% chance of customers actually being ripped off by it. If not, this could be the beginning of another major unannounced policy change, but Iíd guess thatís less likely.
I have seen these show up at time of booking but I have never paid them at checkout.
Duke777 and WillTravel4Food like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What did the property say when you called to ask?
Similarly, what did the Marriott reps at the frequent guest program say when asked about the weird fee?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I called Marriott. They said I won't have to pay but they "have to show the occupancy fees". I asked if there was anyway to know in advance since it seems concerning that my reservation lists a fee that I won't actually have to pay and the answer was no they have to show the fees. Seems very silly and another IT failure given Hyatt doesn't do this for properties in the exact same city. I'll report back if for some reason I do get charged the fees for either of the reservations in Dec/Jan.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
There's around in the U.S. too. It's not uncommon to have a hotel bill with three or four tax line items, a couple of which are percentage-based and one of which is a fixed per-night tax.

In practice, my award stays have always ended up as zero.
WillTravel4Food likes this.

Search this Thread