Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton pedophile babysitter convicted of abusing guests' children on property

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton pedophile babysitter convicted of abusing guests' children on property

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Portuguese press reports today the conviction of a male babysitter at the Penha Longa Hotel, a Ritz-Carlton Resort for abusing children while on property. According to press reports, the babysitter was employed by the resort through a third-party contractor, a company called Talenter.

Last July the babysitter was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison for abusing three children, two of which were abused at the Ritz-Carlton resort while the perpetrator was babysitting hotel guests' children. Portuguese police suspected of many more victims but, the press report adds, the hotel did not fully cooperate with the investigation by providing the identities of foreign guests that used their babysitting services and several of the families the police did manage to reach through international police cooperation flat out rejected the idea their sons could have been victims of sexual abuse.

The hotel, owned by Carlyle Group and managed by Marriott through is Ritz-Carlton subsidiary, despite being fully aware of the charges and despite the fact that several of its employees and managers were subpoenaed to testify at the trial, still to this day employs the services of the same company that seconded the pedophile babysitter, Talenter. Reached by the newspaper, Penha Longa Hotel referred to an "alleged conviction of a pedophile babysitter" and refuted “any attempt of journalistic exploitation of information and/or opinions that are sensationalistic and alarmist" and threatened with legal action against any "slanderous" news reports.

News report (in Portuguese) can be found here (paid access).
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Main concern is obviously for the victims and those now worried their family might be, but it does show how if you don’t have a brand group setting standards and values how dangerous and unpleasant Hotel management can act:

It’s a world away from the values the Ritz Carlton professes to have.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Female babysitters are less likely to be abusers, so it's crazy to employ male ones.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Main concern is obviously for the victims and those now worried their family might be, but it does show how if you don’t have a brand group setting standards and values how dangerous and unpleasant Hotel management can act:

It’s a world away from the values the Ritz Carlton professes to have.
They may suddenly find religion after the civil suit is filed.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF WP
The vast majority of males are not sex offenders; I see no reason to single out babysitters as being a profession unsuitable for male employment- what about paediatricians, school teachers, rabbis, male family members etc- should they also not be allowed unfettered access to children purely on account of their gender??

meanwhile females can be sex offenders, there is a lower detection/conviction rate of female sex crimes, etc
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by nancypants
The vast majority of males are not sex offenders; I see no reason to single out babysitters as being a profession unsuitable for male employment- what about paediatricians, school teachers, rabbis, male family members etc- should they also not be allowed unfettered access to children purely on account of their gender??

meanwhile females can be sex offenders, there is a lower detection/conviction rate of female sex crimes, etc
It's "gender profiling," but it's a reality. We always told our kids that if they got hopelessly lost, "find a nice mommy." I'm male, but I accept that the odds are much better with a female. There are 9 times more men than women incarcerated in the US. I would never hire a male babysitter for boys or girls.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
And suddenly it’s like the 19th Century in here.
nancypants and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JackE
Female babysitters are less likely to be abusers, so it's crazy to employ male ones.
cite?
nancypants and trooper like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
It's "gender profiling," but it's a reality. We always told our kids that if they got hopelessly lost, "find a nice mommy." I'm male, but I accept that the odds are much better with a female. There are 9 times more men than women incarcerated in the US. I would never hire a male babysitter for boys or girls.
It's been reported here that some airlines have a policy of only seating UMs next to women and not men. To me, that seems unfair to the women in these cases: they're not the kid's mother and shouldn't be expected to care for or look after a strange child without compensation.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:54 pm

Clearly we’re massively into OMNI territory here but I think in the 21st century education of small children, and indeed risk assessment models, need to have advanced a lot from men=unsafe women=safe

there have been too many recent cases of female sex abusers, including police checked and vetted females working in child care settings, for me to be more comfortable with them than males purely on account of their possession of a vagina
EuropeanPete and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:41 am

If an airline ever tells me that as a male I cannot sit in the seat I chose because I ended up next to a young person , I will produce my Government issued "Working with the Vulnerable" card...( issued after background checks and mandatory for all of us in Australia who work with children.) I wonder what would happen?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by trooper
If an airline ever tells me that as a male I cannot sit in the seat I chose because I ended up next to a young person , I will produce my Government issued "Working with the Vulnerable" card...( issued after background checks and mandatory for all of us in Australia who work with children.) I wonder what would happen?
Didnt one of the airlines get sued a few years ago for something similar? BA perhaps?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JackE
Really?

if you want to discute at this (low) level ...what about there are more mothers than fathers who kill their children?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:11 am

Let's hope he never gets in a taxi with a male taxi driver. Or marries an American, for that matter.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porciuscato
When my daughter was about just beginning to walk, she developed a nasty rash that would just not go away, so we finally took her to ER one night. When we got to the ER, my now ex-wife asked me to take her in to see the doc so she could rest. I declined, and said I’m not putting myself under suspicion. She was furious, and took her in. While there, after my daughter was treated, the doc asked my ex why she was so angry, and she told him. Doc says to my wife “ I don’t blame him, most of my colleagues who treat a young female with a vaginal infection brought in by the dad and not the mom will immediately think “I wonder what he’s covering up.”

Old prejudices die hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.