Tenerife - Sheraton vs Ritz-Carlton Abama??

Old Sep 12, 19, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Tenerife - Sheraton vs Ritz-Carlton Abama??

We normally like to vacation in Europe at the end of May and beginning of June but sadly we are being forced into looking at booking our 2020 vacation in March instead due to some work related projects that have April to July blocked for vacation. Trying to find a place in Europe that is warm in March has turned out to be a challenge but I think the Canary Islands should work. I'm now trying to figure out if the Sheraton or the RC on Tenerife would be a better choice for a couple of days. We will likely combine the stay on Tenerife with a couple of days on another island and Madrid.

Does anyone have any information that would be helpful in deciding between the two properties. Paid rates are similar between the two and award nights aren't that big of a difference either with one being a Cat. 5 and the other a 6. Respective property threads are not that useful comparing and the RC thread hasn't been updated in a while and the Sheraton thread leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:28 am

The Abama is probably the best one in Tenerife. Very good reputation at least (I live in Spain).. you should consider if the pools are heated (I’m not sure but I think that the Sheraton doesn’t have heated pools but RC yes) maybe someone can confirm.. if not the water will be cold 🥶
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: Ritz platinum, Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
We normally like to vacation in Europe at the end of May and beginning of June but sadly we are being forced into looking at booking our 2020 vacation in March instead due to some work related projects that have April to July blocked for vacation. Trying to find a place in Europe that is warm in March has turned out to be a challenge but I think the Canary Islands should work. I'm now trying to figure out if the Sheraton or the RC on Tenerife would be a better choice for a couple of days. We will likely combine the stay on Tenerife with a couple of days on another island and Madrid.

Does anyone have any information that would be helpful in deciding between the two properties. Paid rates are similar between the two and award nights aren't that big of a difference either with one being a Cat. 5 and the other a 6. Respective property threads are not that useful comparing and the RC thread hasn't been updated in a while and the Sheraton thread leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks in advance for any help!
The club level of the Ritz makes it better by far
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
The club level of the Ritz makes it better by far
Club Level King Ocean View is Euro 505 and Deluxe King Ocean View is Euro 290 so there is a BIG difference in price for the Club Level access per night. I would not think that it's worth Euro 215 per night! As a Titanium I don't think I would get upgraded.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Club Level King Ocean View is Euro 505 and Deluxe King Ocean View is Euro 290 so there is a BIG difference in price for the Club Level access per night. I would not think that it's worth Euro 215 per night! As a Titanium I don't think I would get upgraded.
Your chance of getting upgraded is still good since it is still early in the season in March. I thought of going to RC Abama in April. But it has since been in my backburner now. It is the season.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:29 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'm not sure if I've ever seen any Sheraton that is remotely close to the quality of, let alone better than, any Ritz-Carlton anywhere in the world.

I think the relative award categories might be confusing someone unnecessarily.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I'm not sure if I've ever seen any Sheraton that is remotely close to the quality of, let alone better than, any Ritz-Carlton anywhere in the world.

I think the relative award categories might be confusing someone unnecessarily.
I would agree with you that the two brands are normally not in the same league but in European tourist destinations the Sheraton brand actually was seen as a high end option. There are a couple of examples of that...remember the Pine Cliffs LC was called the Sheraton Pine Cliffs and then there’s the Sheraton Mallorca...so in areas where there historically weren’t luxury chains a Sheraton was considered luxury. Anyway....RC Abama doesn’t seem to be one of the best RC and it’s definitely not one of the nicest so if you compare that to one of the better Sheratons they might be comparable.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I would agree with you that the two brands are normally not in the same league but in European tourist destinations the Sheraton brand actually was seen as a high end option. There are a couple of examples of that...remember the Pine Cliffs LC was called the Sheraton Pine Cliffs and then there’s the Sheraton Mallorca...so in areas where there historically weren’t luxury chains a Sheraton was considered luxury. Anyway....RC Abama doesn’t seem to be one of the best RC and it’s definitely not one of the nicest so if you compare that to one of the better Sheratons they might be comparable.
I’m aware that Sheratons are generally better outside the USA, but I wouldn’t put them beyond premium. Only a VERY few rare Sheratons bordered on luxury IME. And this wasn’t one. The Algarve property also was nice but not luxury—until they invested far more money into the hard product and did better with staff and management.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: Many
Is there ever a time where a Sheraton is better than a RC?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by santydrak View Post
but I think that the Sheraton doesn’t have heated pools but RC yes) maybe someone can confirm.. if not the water will be cold 🥶
It has one heated pool...
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LH SEN**, MR LT Platinum Premier
Not sure if it is an option for you, but when I stayed at the Abama, I used the Ritz Carlton Credit Card benefit allowing for upgrades to a club room. I remember it actually being at the same price as the best available public price.
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: Ritz platinum, Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
At Ritz: one never gets upgraded to the club lounge no matter what level you are. You may get a suite - but not club access
The Ritz Carlton Card does have benefit of 3 or 4 upgrades to the club level at posted prices (no discount prices). BUT that card is no longer available to new people
For the 215 euro diff > calculate as many EtOH drinks you want, breakfast, lunch and desert for two people. That to me is always less than the 215 Euro
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Booked RC on points to have a reservation and will see what peak/non-peak implementation brings tomorrow. Since it’s March maybe it will be on Pointssaver.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread