Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

When a package includes extras "per stay", not "per night"

Old Sep 7, 19, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold

I'm looking to book 2 nights at a hotel that has a great package that includes a spa treatment and a dining credit...per stay. The rate for room only is, of course, much less, but the package is really a great deal.

I of course just want to book the package for one night, and the room only for the second night.

Is this frowned upon? Would you book the second night out of spouse's account?

Not sure what to do.

Can't edit title to read "extras", not "freebies", but you know what I meant...
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Great question. I would be uncomfortable splitting the rates, though clearly that's the smart dollar move. I know many who would have no qualms about doing it. The property could certainly prevent it by imposing a minimum stay requirement on the package rate.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I would think it depends on the "package" rates requirements. Very often those rates with extras have minimum night requirements. If they don't, then I don't see why you couldn't make two reservations each for 1 night one with the package rate and one without it.

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 7, 19 at 10:17 am
Old Sep 7, 19, 6:36 am
Original Poster

What I ended up doing was booking the spa/dining package for the first night, then a different package for the second night that had different features.

There was no minimum stay requirement on the packages so I could have booked just room only, but even this second package was a better value than room only.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
As long as you are okay with checking out (vacating at 11 and returning to a different room at 3pm) in case the rooms are already assigned and are not the same, then why not?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
As long as you are okay with checking out (vacating at 11 and returning to a different room at 3pm) in case the rooms are already assigned and are not the same, then why not?
When I've got 2 separate reservations I always call a couple of days ahead to let them know the situation, and haven't had to change rooms yet. Although we usually do have to go down to get keys recoded (even though they often say we won't).
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
With these per night packages, often the “benefits” must be used per night not per stay. If you do only one night, must the F&B or spa credit be used on the arrival day or check out day?
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments View Post
With these per night packages, often the “benefits” must be used per night not per stay. If you do only one night, must the F&B or spa credit be used on the arrival day or check out day?
I'm using the spa benefit the morning after our first night (the night the spa package was booked for). Then staying the second night on the next package. Already called and made a reservation at the spa.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
Normally yes. It's usually in the terms, although if you have a late checkout, you should be able to use the benefits until that time. Often you sign for the items and then the bill is adjusted at checkout to reflect the free stuff and credits.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Is this frowned upon?
Definitely not. If they're offering the rate for one night, there's no reason whatsoever for you to pay for the package the second night. The same goes for standard rates - sometimes it's cheaper to book the nights separately and there's nothing wrong with doing that either.
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Definitely not. If they're offering the rate for one night, there's no reason whatsoever for you to pay for the package the second night. The same goes for standard rates - sometimes it's cheaper to book the nights separately and there's nothing wrong with doing that either.
Good to know. I usually don't check rates one night at a time (unless in a case like this with the packages) but I will from now on.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
When I've got 2 separate reservations I always call a couple of days ahead to let them know the situation, and haven't had to change rooms yet. Although we usually do have to go down to get keys recoded (even though they often say we won't).
This is what we've done sometimes, such as when we add a night later at a different rate, etc.

Once, we found on a 5* hotel's own website (not Expedia or such, which would have been quite different, we assume) very special rates, but only if booked one night at a time. So... yup, we booked a few nights, one at a time.
I then emailed the hotel, explained why they'd see several repeating reservations (I was totally straightforward: "lowest prices available that way" or such). I asked if they could block a room so we didn't have to move... although I said we'd be happy to move if necessary.
Astonishingly, we got a lovely email back, welcoming us, and stating that they would indeed block a room AND they were giving us the lowest of the nightly rates for all nights. I had not even asked for that!

Very nice indeed.

But about the "perks per stay", etc., we've always been tempted to do something like book alternate nights in alternating names when there is something like at $100 per stay credit for food/beverage/etc.
We haven't actually done that (yet?).

GC
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Not quite the same, but along the same lines, what I find particularly egregious, is when a hotel has a “per night” resort fee, but some of the benefits are only available “per stay”, for example a free drink. If you were to make separate reservations, would you get all the inclusions daily?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
If you were to make separate reservations, would you get all the inclusions daily?
Maybe, but the hotel has the right to merge the stays, so you may not. GeezerCouple's scheme would work, though you may have to jump rooms each night.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/MM, Marriott Gold
I had on multiple occasions used multiple reservations (1 night certificate, 2 nights cash, 5 nights points). Never had a problem. Of course I call (or e-mail) in advance so that they can keep me in the same room.

Search this Thread