Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Worth Spending A Little Extra to Earn Titanium Elite?

Old Sep 3, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

I will be ending the year 4 nights short of Titanium Elite. Was thinking to book an event at a nearby Residence Inn for ~$150. But my question is, is Titanium really much better than Platinum? From what I can see the only benefits are:
  1. 25% more points than Platinum
  2. 1 more annual choice selection
  3. 48 hour guarantee
$150 is not a lot for 10 nights, but are the benefits worth it? Does a Titanium member get more upgrades than Platinum members?

Thanks,
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
See this thread...

Platinum vs. Titanium?
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:05 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
You are probably not going to notice the difference between Platinum and Titanium in upgrades at least in the short term, so you are correct it's more a calculation of whether the added points and other benefits make it worthwhile, which depends on how many nights you expect to stay in 2020. Is United silver (basically economy plus access) worth anything to you?
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by festriaqua View Post
$150 is not a lot for 10 nights, but are the benefits worth it? Does a Titanium member get more upgrades than Platinum members?
That question cannot be answered.

Regardless of upgrades, I think the 2.5 additional points per dollar and extra choice benefit are easily worth more than $150.
RafKa and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Personally, I think the 40K free night certificate choice at the Titanium level is worth a lot more than $150. Everything else is a bonus.

James
Duke787, gora14 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Personally, I think the 40K free night certificate choice at the Titanium level is worth a lot more than $150. Everything else is a bonus.

James
Exactly. The free night more than offsets the $150, and now you get 25% more elite bonus.
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Exactly. The free night more than offsets the $150, and now you get 25% more elite bonus.
And let's not forget that if you have a category 1 hotel in your area, you can spend 30k points for 5 nights, and if you find an off-peak cat 1, you could do it for 20k. Trading cat 3-4 points for a cat 5 hotel is a good idea too.

One other benefit is the soft landing - if you hit Titanium and lose travel next year, you would still get Platinum for the following year.
margarita girl and RafKa like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:04 am

totally worth it given how close you are. This is especially true at higher end properties. I have travelled with lower status peers who are platinum and I as titanium have gotten better upgrades or have trumped them all together.
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Presumably you've already spent your 50-night gift on 5 elite nights?
margarita girl and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Presumably you've already spent your 50-night gift on 5 elite nights?
Good suggestion, but I would say no as it would be totally wasted. No difference between finishing the year at 66 nights or 71 nights. OP might have redeemed his gift for SNAs however.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
And let's not forget that if you have a category 1 hotel in your area, you can spend 30k points for 5 nights, and if you find an off-peak cat 1, you could do it for 20k. Trading cat 3-4 points for a cat 5 hotel is a good idea too.

One other benefit is the soft landing - if you hit Titanium and lose travel next year, you would still get Platinum for the following year.
Has the 2020 soft landing been confirmed as yet? I thought it was still up in the air.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Have you already selected you 50night benefit yet? If not just take the 5 elite nights and then get whatever benefit you really want with the 75night (that's what I did last year).

Last year it was worth it for me -- the free night was used in London (at the Marriott Kensington before it went up to cat5) and saved me $250 on an already planned personal trip and that's before the extra 25% points earning
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
totally worth it given how close you are. This is especially true at higher end properties. I have travelled with lower status peers who are platinum and I as titanium have gotten better upgrades or have trumped them all together.
Yes, but I've also traveled with same status and lower status people (a LT Plat in one instance) to see them get upgraded to a better room than me. I wouldn't spend the $150 for the hope of more upgrades.

But, as others have said, if you pick and use the right gifts, such as the free night or the SNAs, it's probably worth the spend before even considering the points earning. I just wouldn't include upgrades in the equation.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

Good suggestion, but I would say no as it would be totally wasted. No difference between finishing the year at 66 nights or 71 nights. OP might have redeemed his gift for SNAs however.
I read the OP as 4 nights short - i.e. 71 nights - therefore the 5 elite nights would be exactly what is needed.

Naturally if the OP is at 65-69 nights, then the 10 nights for a meeting makes much more sense (+ take the 5 SNAs)
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post

Has the 2020 soft landing been confirmed as yet? I thought it was still up in the air.
Yes. See the soft landing thread.

Search this Thread