Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Surely there are far cheaper ways of picking up an extra 7 elite nights than burning a Category 1-4 travel certificate on a mattress run.

About the only way it works is if you never intended to EVER stay at a Cat. 4 hotel, and just booked a travel package to get some miles and 7 elite nights eventually. But you could have also spent 240k points on 100k miles and then spent the remaining 90k points as you wish.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Although I understand that having separate reservations for a consecutive night stay is a problem for some, it isn't something that I have ever considered an issue. My wife and I both have Marriott personal and business cards and we frequently use the award nights for have back-to-back reservations. I simply ask the front desk to keep us in the same room when checking in. The only inconvenience is getting the keys reactivated when a room goes from one reservation to another.

On the positive side, we sometimes have to cut a day or two off a reservation and it is easier to cancel a reservation that hasn't stared than to cut one short after arrival.

Also, I believe it is more likely that I will receive and upgrade upfront on a shorter reservation than an extended one. On several occasions, I have been upgraded at the beginning of a reservation and allowed to keep the same room for later ones. Although, I have done this with a single reservation, it is simplier if the reservations are separate. Since the possibility of moving during a stay isn't ideal, this may not be something that others would appreciate
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Actually, that would be a great marketing device for Marriott these days of limited travel -- offer a room and use of a VR headset and program for the place or area you wish you could visit. I can see the ad now: "Budapest, Paris, Hong Kong, the Serengeti, or Mars, take your pick and relax in comfort at a local Marriott property."

Now if we can figure out a way to offer a Munich Biergarten with real Munich beer and a Haxe I'd be there.
actually, marriott already tried this a long time ago pre-pandemic. not sure what happened to the pilot program, but maybe marriott will bring it back. would be interesting.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...t-goes-virtual

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I'm not sure "linking" would be necessary but in this case I don't think it would work anyway since award nights apparently don't count for the "double" promotion. See the T&C for the promotion (bolding added.) https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pro...promotion=DD21
correct. thank you for looking up the T&Cs. award nights alone would not count. but mixed cash + awards/points would count.

https://frequentmiler.com/official-w...-double-credit

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Surely there are far cheaper ways of picking up an extra 7 elite nights than burning a Category 1-4 travel certificate on a mattress run.

About the only way it works is if you never intended to EVER stay at a Cat. 4 hotel, and just booked a travel package to get some miles and 7 elite nights eventually. But you could have also spent 240k points on 100k miles and then spent the remaining 90k points as you wish.
yes. youre totally right. i would rather not burn the TP on a mattress run, but i have multiple that will expire 08/01. no way im going to staycation at marriott for several months under current restricted travel. that would be a terrible waste. so im really hoping marriott extends all TPs. thats why booking TP 7 night + 1 paid could be useful w/ 16 EQN under the promo. but i cant seem to find an agent to allow this.

back in the day, i was playing for the potentially huge arbitrage during pre-merger when there was speculation that marriott may convert all TPs into points, but that didnt happen. such a shame.

https://frequentmiler.com/potential-...-before-august

Originally Posted by rny321
Although I understand that having separate reservations for a consecutive night stay is a problem for some, it isn't something that I have ever considered an issue. My wife and I both have Marriott personal and business cards and we frequently use the award nights for have back-to-back reservations. I simply ask the front desk to keep us in the same room when checking in. The only inconvenience is getting the keys reactivated when a room goes from one reservation to another.

On the positive side, we sometimes have to cut a day or two off a reservation and it is easier to cancel a reservation that hasn't stared than to cut one short after arrival.

Also, I believe it is more likely that I will receive and upgrade upfront on a shorter reservation than an extended one. On several occasions, I have been upgraded at the beginning of a reservation and allowed to keep the same room for later ones. Although, I have done this with a single reservation, it is simplier if the reservations are separate. Since the possibility of moving during a stay isn't ideal, this may not be something that others would appreciate
appreciate the comment. my inquiry was specifically related to qualifying for the current marriott promo that awards double EQN for stays with at least 1 paid night. thats why i wanted to book an 8 night stay w/ TP. consecutive separate bookings at the same property linked to the same room would not work. but maybe thats YMMV.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:49 am

Does anyone know if the travel packages are book by or stay by their expiry date?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Does anyone know if the travel packages are book by or stay by their expiry date?
Stay by.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich
If only!

I suspect as we head into Summer, queries and concerns re. an extension for these TP’s will continue.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:38 pm

Just called customer service to book a stay with a 7-night cat-4 certificate (QP83, converted from legacy, extended/reissued multiple times). The agent did not seem to know how and escalated to a supervisor, and I let him complete the booking.

The certificate was gone from my "Activity" page on Marriott website, and I was assured that the certificate has been attached.

However, I am a little skeptical about it since I am still seeing points shown with the reservation and no indication of "certificate has been attached". My question is
1) Is there a delay to see the update on the website?
2) What's the evidence that I can check online to show the booking indeed has a certificate attached?

TIA
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by alxyng
Just called customer service to book a stay with a 7-night cat-4 certificate (QP83, converted from legacy, extended/reissued multiple times). The agent did not seem to know how and escalated to a supervisor, and I let him complete the booking.

The certificate was gone from my "Activity" page on Marriott website, and I was assured that the certificate has been attached.

However, I am a little skeptical about it since I am still seeing points shown with the reservation and no indication of "certificate has been attached". My question is
2) What's the evidence that I can check online to show the booking indeed has a certificate attached?

TIA
You just can't see it.

Marriott still has a broken system. The agent can see the certificate attached, but you can't see it. The reservation may still show not paid with points. But if the agent says the TP is attached, then it is attached.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by alxyng

TIA
RedSun is correct. My certificate is apparently attached and my booking shows the same status as yours. I'm hoping we will all be okay
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
You just can't see it.

Marriott still has a broken system. The agent can see the certificate attached, but you can't see it. The reservation may still show not paid with points. But if the agent says the TP is attached, then it is attached.
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
RedSun is correct. My certificate is apparently attached and my booking shows the same status as yours. I'm hoping we will all be okay
Thanks for confirming!

I found previous posts worrying about the same issue back in 2019. I also received the multiple email confirmation regarding this booking. The first confirmation simply looks like a pure points advance booking, while the last one does mention the following (you have to click "View entire message" if viewing in Gmail in order to reveal the section of "Summary of Points")

Summary of Points
Standard Redemption Rate
130,000 Points
Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: xxxxx

PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
45,000 Points
Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: xxxxx

Total Points Redeemed 175,000
Anyway, I think I am confident enough to keep this booking with finger crossed.

That said, it's still not ideal if something unexpected happens. Fortunately in my case I don't have sufficient points as of right now to complete this booking if it's a point advance. Worst case should be that the booking gets cancelled 15 days prior to check in.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:45 am
kkl

Managed to attach a CAT6 cert to a reservation after 3 calls!
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kkl
Managed to attach a CAT6 cert to a reservation after 3 calls!
Why was it so complicated?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:16 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Why was it so complicated?
1st Cert wasn’t attached properly.

2nd agent didn’t know anything about travel certs

3rd knew exactly what to do. Done smoothly
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
1st Cert wasn’t attached properly.

2nd agent didn’t know anything about travel certs

3rd knew exactly what to do. Done smoothly
What number used to call on making this reservation? Is there any magic words to say to the phone agent in order to get the "right" person in case the first rep seems totally confused?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Happy
What number used to call on making this reservation? Is there any magic words to say to the phone agent in order to get the "right" person in case the first rep seems totally confused?
If they’ve never heard of a Travel Package, that’s a bad start! I’ve found the US agents more competent with these types of bookings over their European Counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.