Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by senyah

So the ios app shows my old TPs with an issue date in 2019, and with a 45K value on them.
So does that mean that these have an 'original' expiration date in 2020?

Such a hot mess that Marriott causes such confusion after a press release.
I mean sure if you want to take the value off the books - go ahead and let the holders know without ambiguity, but the whole cycle of will it be extended or not is draining, especially when the people who pick up the phone are clueless when you talk to them about it.

Thanks, Marriott - for keeping us on our toes.
Hope I can finally put these to use, unless we are in total lockdown for months at an end again - do not expect another extension.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My travel package certs were to expire on January 31, 2001, and they are all now showing with an expiration date of August 1, 2021.

A 6 month extension helps, but this extension -- with a scheduled expiration even before the summer of 2021 is over -- may come across as being miserly in light of the probability that travel is going to be disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic until a good bit into the summer of 2021 (if not even into Q4 2021).

I take it that Marriott's doing this 6 month extension thing is a sign that it is: a) very reluctant to extend the certs; and b) wants to try to cause as much spoilage in customer accounts as possible, but without becoming the industry poster boy for going Defcon 1 against the customers at a time when alienating historically loyal customers is exactly what a company in the industry should not be doing.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2020 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 11, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My travel package certs were to expire on January 31, 2001, and they are all now showing with an expiration date of August 1, 2021.

A 6 month extension helps, but this extension -- with a scheduled expiration even before the summer of 2021 is over -- may come across as being miserly in light of the probability that travel is going to be disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic until a good bit into the summer of 2021 (if not even into Q4 2021).

I take it that Marriott's doing this 6 month extension thing is a sign that it is: a) very reluctant to extend the certs; and b) wants to try to cause as much spoilage in customer accounts as possible, but without becoming the industry poster boy for going Defcon 1 against the customers at a time when alienating historically loyal customers is exactly what a company in the industry should not be doing.
Sounds like a fair assessment for to me!
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Mine got extended, even the old converted ones. A fair outcome I'd say. Should be able to use them by August 1st.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cfischer
Mine got extended, even the old converted ones. A fair outcome I'd say. Should be able to use them by August 1st.
If I’m forced to use mine in Canada, I’d much rather it be in July than January.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
If I’m forced to use mine in Canada, I’d much rather it be in July than January.
tell me about it well, I am hoping to use mine in July wherever I can be then
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
tell me about it well, I am hoping to use mine in July wherever I can be then
Perhaps the category changes in March, if they happen, will give you more options, or maybe less.
Happy and rny321 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:03 am

Could someone advise please. I had the old travel package Cat 1-5 which I then converted to the new one and my understanding was that it could be used on Cat 5 if the booking was made before the change. I made a booking at a Cat 5 hotel in Abu Dhabi and all went well. My expiry has now been extended to August 2021 BUT the account is saying I don't have enough points for my booking as it is now showing 30,000 points per night instead of the original 25,000 when I had booked. How do I get around this? If I change my booking from this resort, can I only book a maximum Cat 4 hotel?

Last edited by s879; Dec 20, 2020 at 5:21 am
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:26 am

I noticed that they extended mine till Jan 31st 2021. I just looked up a cat 5 hotel and they just booked them for me. The agent didnt know how to book it , so she added a whole lot of points on my account at first - about 200K points and then booked the hotel using the points and then took out all the remaining points. Unfortunately I need to cancel this trip . I will have to call or email and ask if they will extend my certificate again .
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by s879
Could someone advise please. I had the old travel package Cat 1-5 which I then converted to the new one and my understanding was that it could be used on Cat 5 if the booking was made before the change. I made a booking at a Cat 5 hotel in Abu Dhabi and all went well. My expiry has now been extended to August 2021 BUT the account is saying I don't have enough points for my booking as it is now showing 30,000 points per night instead of the original 25,000 when I had booked. How do I get around this? If I change my booking from this resort, can I only book a maximum Cat 4 hotel?
Not sure I follow your sequence of transactions. You had an old cat 1-5 package but got converted to a new cat 1-5? Did you pay the package difference? I thought old cat 1-5 converted to a new cat 1-4 unless you applied the old cat 1-5 but that was 2+ years ago. The rest I’m not sure what is going on because it’s not clear in your post on if your Abu Dhabi reservation was made with a cert or made with points or made on points advance. What is clear is that any changes are repriced at the current point requirement.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 20, 2020 at 12:05 pm Reason: Certain-> cert (autocorrect)
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:22 am

No I didnt pay any difference. I think they forgot to change the cat or something. They did change all the marriott categories anyways . so the old marriott Category at colorado used to cat 5 and they changed that to 6 . So I guess thats how it worked.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:23 am

My reservation is for Destin, Florida, which I need to cancel . I will update once I cancel it and see what they do with my certificate.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by aps75
No I didnt pay any difference. I think they forgot to change the cat or something. They did change all the marriott categories anyways . so the old marriott Category at colorado used to cat 5 and they changed that to 6 . So I guess thats how it worked.
Originally Posted by aps75
My reservation is for Destin, Florida, which I need to cancel . I will update once I cancel it and see what they do with my certificate.
So what is the question again and what are you doing again? Super curious now.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by myperks
Not sure I follow your sequence of transactions. You had an old cat 1-5 package but got converted to a new cat 1-5? Did you pay the package difference? I thought old cat 1-5 converted to a new cat 1-4 unless you applied the old cat 1-5 but that was 2+ years ago. The rest I’m not sure what is going on because it’s not clear in your post on if your Abu Dhabi reservation was made with a cert or made with points or made on points advance. What is clear is that any changes are repriced at the current point requirement.
So I had the old Cat1-5 and I booked the W in Abu Dhabi. Then the old one had to be converted to the new Cat 1-4 but since I'd booked the Cat 5 before, there was no issue for a year. Recently, when the expiry got extended to Aug 2021, my account is suddenly saying that I haven't got enough points for the existing booking. It has somehow picked up that it is a Cat 5 hotel. So I wanted to know what my position was.

Second question was that when I bought it, it was valid for Cat 1-5 so if I change my booking to some other resort (as don't fancy going there in summer 2021), should Marriott be obliged to let me book it for a Cat 5 hotel?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Cat 1 to 5 is the same as new Cat 1 to 4 based on the POINTS needed. The designation of the Category LEVEL means nothing. The equivalent of points matter. You are getting the SAME point cost certificate.

The only categories being short changed in the conversion from old levels to new levels, are the Cat 6 and may be Cat 8. Those got DOWNGRADED but Marriott eventually made everyone who contacted them whole by either refunded the extra pts charged or some other forms. Details in the Old thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.