Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
@JudyBlueEyes,
You should have received some email from Marriott ([email protected]) for something like below:

Cancelled Award Order Confirmation

• XXXXxxxx
• 7 Nights, Partial Package Category 9 Hotels
John Doe,
As requested, we have cancelled your reward order. Below is a summary of your cancellation information.
Sincerely,
• 7 Nights, Partial Package Category 9 Hotels
• XXXXxxxx
• Tuesday, xxxx, xxxx, 2018
• P990

<snip>
As an aside, I have read a number of postings like this, but I have never gotten such an e-mail from Marriott despite having two TPs (OC) that were converted to NC and later attached to reservations. I do get confirmations of reservations when I make (or cancel) them so I know they have my correct e-mail address, but never with this type of detail. I wonder why, and what else they're not sending me.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by JudyBlueEyes
I'd AT LEAST like to get an extension to the anniversary of that February reservation date, but ideally longer if that's not being greedy.
In my personal experience, I don't think the reps can extend to any other expiry date other than 1 year ahead of the day they make the extension. If they allow you an extension, it will be to September 2020 (assuming you request it and get a response this month).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:56 am

Whoever wrote in the wiki about proving the lurker wrong from post 23 is a little premature on making that assumption since applying towards a points advance reservation in post 23 can be rebooking since it’s the same category.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

#23 is only a DP. I do not think what Lurker said is even the official Marriott policy. It may be some internal guide line. As long as the booking system allows it, we may see more TPs get attached to existing reservations. With the limitation on # of point advance bookings on 9/14/2019, it makes no practical sense not allow us to attach TP to existing booking.

If I were Marriott, I'd want the guests to use the TPs as quickly as they can at the current point level. Or folks would cry for more "extension" again and again.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:05 pm
Chy

Do I have to call to book these 7 night travel packages or how do I book them online? I have a 7 night cat 1-4 as one of the new packages. I'm trying to book it but all I get is the option to do a "points advance" reservation. I don't see any option to use the 7 night cert. Yes, I am booking 7 nights at a 25k per night cat 4, and there is points availability the whole time at that 25k per night rate.

What do I do?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Chy
Do I have to call to book these 7 night travel packages or how do I book them online? I have a 7 night cat 1-4 as one of the new packages. I'm trying to book it but all I get is the option to do a "points advance" reservation. I don't see any option to use the 7 night cert. Yes, I am booking 7 nights at a 25k per night cat 4, and there is points availability the whole time at that 25k per night rate.

What do I do?
Call up - the TP certificates an only be redeemed over the phone...
Chy and RedSun like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Bonvoy'd by agent

I checked the 2 certs in my account again and noticed that the rep had forcibly converted both my certs in Oct 2019, even though I asked only one cert to be converted at that time.

Working within Marriott's rules, we could have gotten our certs extended till Aug 2020, by converting old to new certs before they expired in Aug 2019.

Now, Marriott opened up a case to "investigate" whether to allow me to use my certs before Aug 2020, which I should have been allowed to do if the previous agent had not messed up.

The Bonvoy system transition was so chaotic and wasted everyone's time. There were months where we couldn't even use these certificates, so I'm surprised Marriott is doing everything it can to make sure these certs go unused.

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 9, 2019 at 5:58 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:36 pm

I may be late to this discussion but it seems the new travel packages aren't as good value? As in the old packages after you pay for the nights it is basically 1:1 for miles, but now it is almost 2.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I may be late to this discussion but it seems the new travel packages aren't as good value? As in the old packages after you pay for the nights it is basically 1:1 for miles, but now it is almost 2.
Most people here still hold the original TP issued before 8/18/2018. The new TP issued after that date does not have a lot of value. I do not know much about it. Some people say there is still some value.

We still need to use up those legacy TP before we move on to the new ones. Some people may jump ship to Hilton, as they stated. Particularly the old SPG folks.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eethan
I checked the 2 certs in my account again and noticed that the rep had forcibly converted both my certs in Oct 2019, even though I asked only one cert to be converted at that time.

Working within Marriott's rules, we could have gotten our certs extended till Aug 2020, by converting old to new certs before they expired in Aug 2019.

Now, Marriott opened up a case to "investigate" whether to allow me to use my certs before Aug 2020, which I should have been allowed to do if the previous agent had not messed up.
You sure the agent forcibly converted your TP in Oct 2019? Or 2018?

I'm not sure about your 2nd statement. Marriott rule is that the TP can be "extended" once. Some say the OC to NC is considered the "conversion or extension". Some say the NC to NC is the "extension". There are DPs for both. It is still a mystery.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:36 pm

I love how this wasn’t an issue when it was forcibly converted last year and all of a sudden the certificate date is coming upon expiration and it’s Marriott’s issue. Why wasn’t this taken care of last year? It’s not like you woke up this month and the certificate magically changed dates. Having said that, I do hope Marriott just change it for you and be done with.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun
You sure the agent forcibly converted your TP in Oct 2019? Or 2018?

I'm not sure about your 2nd statement. Marriott rule is that the TP can be "extended" once. Some say the OC to NC is considered the "conversion or extension". Some say the NC to NC is the "extension". There are DPs for both. It is still a mystery.
Most people bought the travel package in July/Aug 2018 - these old cert would have expired in July/Aug 2019, but could have been extended till July/Aug 2020. Marriott should simplify things for members and just extend all of these cert to July/Aug 2020.

Instead, they have us calling in to trade old certs for new certs. (Aside: I read in the news about how the Indian and Venezuelan governments forced their people to trade old currency bills for new currency bills. Reminded me of this Bonvoy scenario.)

In my case, I asked the agent to convert only 1 of my 2 certs, because I had no plans to use the 2nd one. But he converted my 2nd cert knowing that doing so would cause it to expire more quickly.

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:02 am Reason: Removed masked profanity (per FT Rule 16)
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Most people bought the travel package in July/Aug 2018 - these old cert would have expired in July/Aug 2019, but could have been extended till July/Aug 2020. Marriott should simplify things for members and just extend all of these cert to July/Aug 2020.

In my case, I asked the agent to convert only 1 of my 2 certs, because I had no plans to use the 2nd one. But he converted my 2nd cert knowing that doing so would cause it to expire more quickly.
Not sure if this is true. Marriott reps actually are nicer though sometimes are clueless and poorly trained.

If this were Hyatt, they won't grant any concessions or exceptions except to very few top Globalist members. No award night extension at all, no point adjustment and no no no. This forces people to use the free nights. Many of its free nights actually only have 6-month life! But members still stay with them.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match

The Bonvoy system transition was so chaotic and wasted everyone's time. There were months where we couldn't even use these certificates, so I'm surprised Marriott is doing everything it can to make sure these certs go unused.
This sounds like the same "case" process I was put through in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...8&postcount=21. Hopefully you get the same positive outcome as me. I do wonder if it's really worth them devoting employee time to these cases. I agree, they should do a one-time-only 1 year extension to all the remaining NCs converted from OCs when the processes and rules were still undecided.
eethan likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by myperks
Is it the same confirmation number from before? (Assuming you received an email confirmation from the points advance reservation or you took a screenshot of it)
Yes it is. I just confirmed both emails.

Originally Posted by myperks
Whoever wrote in the wiki about proving the lurker wrong from post 23 is a little premature on making that assumption since applying towards a points advance reservation in post 23 can be rebooking since it’s the same category.
I made that update. I was quite nervous (based on that statement from the Lurker) whether or not the TP Cert would be applied to my PA reservation. ​​​It wasn't a simple case of canceling and rebooking since this reservation is over Xmas break and there is no more award availability. If I couldn't have been able to apply the Cert, I'd have been forced to use 300K points or choose a different destination.

Last edited by crazyhorse; Sep 9, 2019 at 11:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.