Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
At this point I am booking on a balance of price and convenience.
This.

Even within a loyalty program, they've mostly devalued the differences between brand tiers with so much previous amenities of luxury or full-service hotels discontinued. It's basically a room, wifi, toilet, and shower. There isn't much guest experience at most hotels anymore. I used to enjoy the simple pleasure of grabbing a Marriott burger at the lobby bar on my first night of arrival on a business trip. Now that's rarely an option or is for much more limited hours - Marriott instead suggests I use Ubereats or whatever for some bonus points. If that's the case, fine, then I'm going to book the cheapest room/toilet/shower I can find, not spend extra to get a full-service hotel.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Had multiple ones cancelled from my account this morning, including one attached to a reservation in April (and the kicker is it's now at peak pricing and wasn't when I booked)!

It seems like a harsh punishment for their agents offering to sell something.
Do you have any more info on this? They just cancelled it and didn't say anything else? Guessing you called in to ask about this - what did the reps say? I find it odd that Marriott has built in the functionality to check for timeshare holders and will retroactively cancel travel certs when they can't even get lifetime years right.

What did they give in replace of cancelled travel certificates?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CLEguy
That's what extraneous apostrophes are called?!?!?
Oops I didn't see that until just now and I can't edit the thread title to remove it
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:23 pm

Last edited by tylerc; Jan 18, 2022 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:28 pm

I am about to use my certificate. I understand that you can't make a booking online with the certificate, and you need to call in and get it to apply. Anyone have any opinion on whether the success rate in getting the certificate applied properly occurs when you do a points advance booking first and refer to that booking when telling the CSR to apply the certificate, or does it not really matter and everything is a matter of crossing your fingers and hope it gets applied correctly?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
I am about to use my certificate. I understand that you can't make a booking online with the certificate, and you need to call in and get it to apply. Anyone have any opinion on whether the success rate in getting the certificate applied properly occurs when you do a points advance booking first and refer to that booking when telling the CSR to apply the certificate, or does it not really matter and everything is a matter of crossing your fingers and hope it gets applied correctly?
I used to always just call in. But I have changed to making the reservation with points first then calling in and quoting the reservation number. Both seem to result in the same thing but the reason I do it online first is that I can see exactly what is available and mainly because sometimes the agent has a hard time finding the specific hotel because they are not familiar with the country/region and/or they have trouble understanding my accent and/or who-knows-what. Just be sure to book the lowest available room points rate... travel packages cannot be used for points + cash or rooms that require more than the lowest available points rate.

DAK
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
I used to always just call in. But I have changed to making the reservation with points first then calling in and quoting the reservation number. Both seem to result in the same thing but the reason I do it online first is that I can see exactly what is available and mainly because sometimes the agent has a hard time finding the specific hotel because they are not familiar with the country/region and/or they have trouble understanding my accent and/or who-knows-what. Just be sure to book the lowest available room points rate... travel packages cannot be used for points + cash or rooms that require more than the lowest available points rate.

DAK
Thanks, I was thinking that too, the more easily accessible information for the CSR, the better things should go hopefully haha. I will definitely just do that, I only have 20K points, and the rate is 160K for the stay, so I will need to do the points advance booking but it shouldn't be any different compared to having all the points necessary ahead of time. I will do it later today and hopefully it is all good!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:03 am

I find it interesting that Marriott’s IT is smart enough to spot and cancel an ineligibly sold 5 night Travel Package
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I find it interesting that Marriott’s IT is smart enough to spot and cancel an ineligibly sold 5 night Travel Package
How does it recover the miles that have been sent to the airline? Or do the systems catch it before the transfer occurs? I am thinking for going for a 5 night package too (7 nights are just too difficult to schedule and would need to be all 7 nights at peak to be worth it.)
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Marriott just announced the travel packages have been officially Bonvoyed as of today. No "real" notice at all. Screw them.
qlaval likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:17 am

How is the "total hotel portion" calculated? 5K points? The difference between the cost of the airline miles and the cost of the package? Or sufficient points that would allow you to book the same category of hotel for 7 nights?
BAK and Zelucifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Marriott and its customer-unfriendly games. Can't say I'm surprised that Marriott has such little respect for its customers with big point balances. Just look at how Marriott Bonvoyed the customers with the category conversions. Now, the no formal advanced notice elimination is just par for the Marriott course. Bonvoying customers again.
tbm13 and drod like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dkerr
How is the "total hotel portion" calculated? 5K points? The difference between the cost of the airline miles and the cost of the package? Or sufficient points that would allow you to book the same category of hotel for 7 nights?
"The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points redemption rate per each night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the award was eligible."
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
"The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points redemption rate per each night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the award was eligible."
Where do you see that?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Where do you see that?
The FAQs, which got highlighted here:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/01/19/...2/?omhide=true

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.
Marriott seems to be in a crazy rush to disappear the deposited certificates for application toward hotel nights.

Originally Posted by Marriott
Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note: If you desire to make any changes to your Reservation after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which, you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award.

If you have a Travel Package Award that isn’t attached to a Reservation yet, you should contact Member Support by February 28, 2022 to attach your award to a Reservation. If your Travel Package Award remains unattached after February 28, 2022, the Hotel portion of your Travel Package Award will be automatically canceled and refunded in full to your Marriott Bonvoy® Account in Points on March 1, 2022.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation between January 19, 2022 and February 28, 2022?

You may modify or cancel a Travel Package Award redemption Reservation up until February 28, 2022 by contacting Member Support.

After February 28, 2022, if a Travel Package Award is not attached to a Reservation, the Travel Package Award will be automatically converted to Marriott Bonvoy® Points on March 1, 2022 which will be deposited into the Member’s Marriott Bonvoy® Account.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award.
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 19, 2022 at 8:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.