Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 22, 12:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 22, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
I certainly will not be ordering a new Travel Package before March 2022.
Based on todays announcement you wont be ordering on after either.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and ryw like this.
Old Jan 12, 22, 10:10 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
Seems like they are going away totally now. According to an update to the program’s terms and conditions which was unannounced,
3.14 Hotel and Air Travel Packages
Effective January 19, 2022, Hotel and Air Travel Packages are no longer available for purchase.
So hard to believe that Tony tried to hide this from us.
Old Jan 13, 22, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
So hard to believe that Tony tried to hide this from us.
You forgot to add the <sarc> label.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bobu View Post
Can travel packages be used for a portion of a booking? For example, if i booked 10 nights, can I use the travel package to pay for 7 out of 10 of them, and then points for the rest, or do I need to book 2 separate reservations? Thanks!
You need to make two reservations, one for 7-nights other for 3-nights. I have spent a long time on the phone with Marriott more than once trying to apply a travel package to a longer reservation and it never works. I don't bother any more... I make a 7-day reservation online with points then phone up and have them apply the TP certificate (and refund the points). And a back-to-back reservation for the remaining days. Tip... if using points for the remaining days, be sure to check points required per night. For example, it might cost less points for the first 3 nights of your 10 night stay than the last 3 days. TPs work by hotel category so are not sensitive to each nights point charge (well, at least not currently... could all change).
DAK
Happy and TravelBug1314 like this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
The last time Marriott killed the (old) travel packages I redeemed as many as I could at as high of categories as I could. Do the new (but soon to be dead) packages protect you from devaluation? Say I spend 750,000 on a 7-night Cat 8 package, come March and the property goes past the 85,000 cap. Will we still be able to redeem the package as long as the property is nominally Cat 8 (a la old travel package vs peak pricing), or are we priced out completely and the package is rendered useless for anything other than 85,000 pts/night or less?
Old Jan 13, 22, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
The last time Marriott killed the (old) travel packages I redeemed as many as I could at as high of categories as I could. Do the new (but soon to be dead) packages protect you from devaluation? Say I spend 750,000 on a 7-night Cat 8 package, come March and the property goes past the 85,000 cap. Will we still be able to redeem the package as long as the property is nominally Cat 8 (a la old travel package vs peak pricing), or are we priced out completely and the package is rendered useless for anything other than 85,000 pts/night or less?
All of us who had the old packages got hosed when they turned into the new ones. It's hard to say what they'll do, but I wouldn't expect things to go any better for people holding them this time.
Old Jan 13, 22, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
All of us who had the old packages got hosed when they turned into the new ones. It's hard to say what they'll do, but I wouldn't expect things to go any better for people holding them this time.
But was that not because of the re-categorization of properties? I remember kicking myself for having a Ritz-Carlton Tier 1-3 and even the Tier 4-5 converted poorly to the new Cats we have now. We were "protected" in a sense from peak pricing by holding an old package. Just wondering if it's worth taking a gamble on the new package before it too dies or is everything just going to hell in a hand basket anyway and we'll be like Hilton where every award is priced like Zimbabwe dollars and worthless...
Old Jan 13, 22, 7:54 pm

Programs: United 1P
Does anyone know what will happen to existing 7-night certificate after Jan. 19? Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 22, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Yup. That happened to me. I may be a glutton for punishment, but think I will go for the package again.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
Does anyone know what will happen to existing 7-night certificate after Jan. 19? Thanks!

nothing? They will continue to be usable up to their expiration. Just can't get any new ones after Jan 19
Old Jan 14, 22, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Good memories of a week at the Marriott Del Mar, CA in June 2016 with my wife & two sons for the elder's UCSD graduation, and a week at the Marriott Tysons Corner, VA in July 2017 for some D.C. tourism with my wife.

I still have many of the UA miles. Travel Packages were fun while they lasted!
Old Jan 14, 22, 7:23 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
nothing? They will continue to be usable up to their expiration. Just can't get any new ones after Jan 19
It may be a great way to hedge against the upcoming devaluation if you cant make a booking. The points are going to go up by a significant percentage so 7 nights at a cat 8 could save 300k-500k points.
Old Jan 14, 22, 9:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
It will be sad to see TPs disappear. I can remember my first "TP" award back in the 90s. Back then, it was 200K points which got me 7 nights at any Marriott in the world, 2 flight tickets to that Marriott and depending on the country the hotel was in, 8 days of a Hertz car rental. TPs used to be just about the only award I'd use Marriott points for. But I haven't ordered a TP award for a few years now (even before Covid).
jamflyer, SPN Lifer and tbm13 like this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Can we get the thread title re-titled until the option for redeeming points for the TPs is no longer possible? "Eliminated" = past tense. They will be eliminated, but they are not eliminated as of yet.
Old Jan 14, 22, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
I was planning on redeeming for a Cat 6 + 100k miles but am waiting on my Chase Marriott points to come in. They are set to arrive Jan 21st and these will be gone Jan 19th. Kinda only got the chase for this specific purpose....ugh the timing!!! Could redeem for a Cat 5 + 100k at the moment but pretty much any hotel I'd actually stay 7 nights at that's worth it from a $/points standpoint is at least cat 6.

Search this Thread