Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
i dont understand why you even trust clueless bonvoy agents at this point. they were terrible before COVID and even worse after. they have no idea whats happening. since youre at home, i encourage you to go read all the super informative posts above yours since FT members are much smarter than bonvoy agents. the marriott PR was very clear on this issue.

also, here are some doc posts with useful comments:
Marriott To Extend Free Night Certificates Until January 31st, 2021
Marriott Announces COVID-19 Response: Cancellation Policy, Award Certificates Extended & More
The official statement from Marriott regarding status, cert etc.:
https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-24119
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigerwong
I called in to cancel a reservation with a 7-night Cat 4 voucher attached due to COVID-19. The voucher was supposed to expire last year but Marriott extended it out a year and is now expected to expire June 2020. I was hoping Marriott would push out the date to 2021 as was the case with my AMEX free night certs but they were unwilling to budge because of previous extension.
The system will automatically extend certs - I dont believe the system would look at whether the cert is extended once in the past - that would be way too much work to do trying to differentiate such.

My belief is, as long as a cert is ACTIVE, i.e. stay in your account and not being attached to a reservation - would be automatically extended by system sweep finished by end of April. How the system handles the sweep would be anybody's guess, batch-process may be the most logical approach. Hence it is to our benefit to make sure the certs are in our accounts, take screen shots, then hope for Marriott's system will produce the outcome as we are being told.

There is no reason to ask the agent to manually extend your cert.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by tigerwong
I called in to cancel a reservation with a 7-night Cat 4 voucher attached due to COVID-19. The voucher was supposed to expire last year but Marriott extended it out a year and is now expected to expire June 2020. I was hoping Marriott would push out the date to 2021 as was the case with my AMEX free night certs but they were unwilling to budge because of previous extension.
I wonder -- did you ask them to extend it a year? That may have been the hang-up, since the "automatic" extension is supposed to be only until January 31, 2021.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by Happy
The system will automatically extend certs - I dont believe the system would look at whether the cert is extended once in the past - that would be way too much work to do trying to differentiate such.

My belief is, as long as a cert is ACTIVE, i.e. stay in your account and not being attached to a reservation - would be automatically extended by system sweep finished by end of April. How the system handles the sweep would be anybody's guess, batch-process may be the most logical approach. Hence it is to our benefit to make sure the certs are in our accounts, take screen shots, then hope for Marriott's system will produce the outcome as we are being told.

There is no reason to ask the agent to manually extend your cert.
Well, it would be nice to know that it's extended, and be able to book now.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
we had a 7 night cat 1-4 package booked at a former cat 4… Now a cat 5. We called again to Marriott rewards, had to do something, stay is supposed to begin in a week. Here's what happened:

They told us that because of system and software limitations they couldn't change the date on the reservation. The system would only let us cancel. But... They suggested we call the hotel directly, they could manually change the dates without detaching the certificate.

So we did, the hotel was happy to do it, the change of dates was instantaneous and immediately appeared in the app. We even called back a couple hours later to shift two more weeks, no problem.

The only fly in the ointment now: the reservation is for a date after the certificate expires. Hmm. If this works, WAY better than expected. If we're still alive of course.
renila, ankomonkey, rny321 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
we had a 7 night cat 1-4 package booked at a former cat 4… Now a cat 5. We called again to Marriott rewards, had to do something, stay is supposed to begin in a week. Here's what happened:

They told us that because of system and software limitations they couldn't change the date on the reservation. The system would only let us cancel. But... They suggested we call the hotel directly, they could manually change the dates without detaching the certificate.

So we did, the hotel was happy to do it, the change of dates was instantaneous and immediately appeared in the app. We even called back a couple hours later to shift two more weeks, no problem.

The only fly in the ointment now: the reservation is for a date after the certificate expires. Hmm. If this works, WAY better than expected. If we're still alive of course.
If the certificate expires it will disappear and your reservation will require you to use points to order a new one or it will be cancelled. I assume you’re just waiting for the extensions to happen so it will be valid for your stay?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
If the certificate expires it will disappear and your reservation will require you to use points to order a new one or it will be cancelled. I assume you’re just waiting for the extensions to happen so it will be valid for your stay?
Will all certificates be extended, whether they are attached or not? Lurkers?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Will all certificates be extended, whether they are attached or not? Lurkers?
I don't know. If I were @UsernameChuck I would cancel, call in, asked for it to be extended for the stay on the new dates, and then have them attach. I have so little faith in Marriott that I keep meticulous records of every transaction and I also keep all my points in a dummy booking so they can't steal them and re-price an existing booking at a higher rate.

I would definitely not assume an attached certificate would be extended, because the system is not supposed to allow you to attach a certificate that expires before the stay date, which you'll note if you try to do that with a credit card certificate on the website. So why would the solution by IT also extend the dates for attached certificates? You could argue obviously it should in case the customer cancels the booking it's attached to, but this is Marriott we're talking about.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I don't know. If I were @UsernameChuck I would cancel, call in, asked for it to be extended for the stay on the new dates, and then have them attach. I have so little faith in Marriott that I keep meticulous records of every transaction and I also keep all my points in a dummy booking so they can't steal them and re-price an existing booking at a higher rate.

I would definitely not assume an attached certificate would be extended, because the system is not supposed to allow you to attach a certificate that expires before the stay date, which you'll note if you try to do that with a credit card certificate on the website. So why would the solution by IT also extend the dates for attached certificates? You could argue obviously it should in case the customer cancels the booking it's attached to, but this is Marriott we're talking about.
I obviously have no idea. The CSR told me that they would in fact be extended even if attached to reservations, but that could easily be incorrect. Still, I don't see how the solution you're proposing, nexusCFX, could work here - as explained above, the hotel went from cat 4 to cat 5. Because of the category change, if it's canceled, the certificate couldn't be reattached. I also don't see how a cert could be manually extended over the phone without detaching and reattaching, which seems impossible on these facts. The only way it would work would be something automatic and across-the-board.

How could we test if the system will automatically extend a cert that's attached to a reservation? I suppose one of us could make a reservation and then cancel before the cert expires... when it reappears in our account after cancelling the reservation, we would then see whether the cert was extended while attached.

It seems to me that Marriott is trying to do right by people, but their systems limit how they can do that. I would *hope* that they'd find a way to fix things if their system makes our cert expire rather than extending it. I'm sure that would require a supervisor to fix at that point. But it seems like the best option. (Along with documenting things.) Fwiw my wife's account has nowhere near the 210K points that would now be required for a points booking at this hotel.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:32 am

How could we test if the system will automatically extend a cert that's attached to a reservation? I suppose one of us could make a reservation and then cancel before the cert expires... when it reappears in our account after cancelling the reservation, we would then see whether the cert was extended while attached.
When does your certificate currently expire? If after April 30th, you can be your own test case. Just take screen shots and see what happens; if it's not automatically extended you can ask them to correct the error then.
rny321 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:55 pm

I obviously have no idea. The CSR told me that they would in fact be extended even if attached to reservations, but that could easily be incorrect. Still, I don't see how the solution you're proposing, nexusCFX, could work here - as explained above, the hotel went from cat 4 to cat 5. Because of the category change, if it's canceled, the certificate couldn't be reattached. I also don't see how a cert could be manually extended over the phone without detaching and reattaching, which seems impossible on these facts. The only way it would work would be something automatic and across-the-board.

It seems to me that Marriott is trying to do right by people, but their systems limit how they can do that. I would *hope* that they'd find a way to fix things if their system makes our cert expire rather than extending it. I'm sure that would require a supervisor to fix at that point. But it seems like the best option. (Along with documenting things.) Fwiw my wife's account has nowhere near the 210K points that would now be required for a points booking at this hotel.
I totally missed that the category changed. I thought there was just some IT error that you were working around, my bad.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Happy
According to the C19 policy, all unused certs with 2020 expiration dates will be automatically converted to have Jan 31 2021 expiration date with the task completion date sent on Apr 30.
My certs now have a 3/1/2021 expiration date
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
My certs now have a 3/1/2021 expiration date
Interesting! My other cert still says July 2020… had your cert been extended before?

Last edited by UsernameChuck; Apr 4, 2020 at 11:44 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

That wouldn't necessarily be conclusive either. What if the extension is applied as a function of the detachment? We wouldn't know if the attached certificate is deemed to be valid for the reservation even if it is technically expired or if the certificate is indeed extended while attached.

James
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interesting! My other cert still says July 2020… had your cert been extended before?
All my TP certs still have 2020 expiration dates and haven’t been adjusted. Maybe they are adjusting them in chronological order of original expiration date but it could just as well be something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.