Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Award reservation cancelled by Marriot

Marriot messed me up big time.

I have a Cat1 to 4 7 nites certificates (expiring in April ) that was attached for a stay at the Four Point in Auckland next week. It was Cat 4 hotel when I booked it and thus was able to use my certificate. Doing that took me a few hours and a few phone calls.

Today, I enquired about the possibility of extending the certificate in the event that I cancel the reservation given the uncertainty of the coronavirus crisis. The associate was very kind, offering to extend my certificate for a year and explicitly told me that my current reservation would still use this certificate. I, off course, was happy.

Lo and behold, I receive an email an hour later saying that my award reservation using the certificate has been cancelled. Called Bonvoy immediately. The associate could not attached the certificate back because that hotel is now a Cat 5. She kept apologizing saying there is nothing she can do about it.

My flights are booked and paid for and now my only choice is to pay for the accommodation.

This is so frustrating and unbelievable. I am not sure if this the fault of the associate who extended my certificate or the system limitations. I am just shocked that booking a reward using the certificate can be so tedious.

Last edited by salfcl; Mar 6, 2020 at 4:17 pm Reason: grammer
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by salfcl

I have a Cat1 to 4 7 nites certificates (expiring in April ) that was attached for a stay at the Four Point in Auckland next week. It was Cat 4 hotel when I booked it and thus was able to use my certificate. Doing that took me a few hours and a few phone calls.

Today, I enquired about the possibility of extending the certificate in the event that I cancel the reservation given the uncertainty of the coronavirus crisis. The associate was very kind, offering to extend my certificate for a year and explicitly told me that my current reservation would still use this certificate. I, off course, was happy.

Lo and behold, I receive an email an hour later saying that my award reservation using the certificate has been cancelled. Called Bonvoy immediately. The associate could not attached the certificate back because that hotel is now a Cat 5. She kept apologizing saying there is nothing she can do about it.

My flights are booked and paid for and now my only choice is to pay for the accommodation.

This is so frustrating and unbelievable. I am not sure if this the fault of the associate who extended my certificate or the system limitations. I am just shocked that booking a reward using the certificate can be so tedious.
Once the category has changed, there is nothing the CSR can do to help. You need to escalate and complain - and I hope you have some sort of proof that the cert was attached once upon a time (you have a good chance Marriott will do something for you if you have that).

My guess: you got a cert attached, then you want it to be extended, so the CSR you talked to detach your cert and extended it but somehow forgot/didn't re-attach it.

I was so freaked out by these ordeals so right after I saw the cert was attached I immediately saved a pdf copy of the reservation. I'm glad that I'm done with using the certs.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Once the category has changed, there is nothing the CSR can do to help. You need to escalate and complain - and I hope you have some sort of proof that the cert was attached once upon a time (you have a good chance Marriott will do something for you if you have that).

My guess: you got a cert attached, then you want it to be extended, so the CSR you talked to detach your cert and extended it but somehow forgot/didn't re-attach it.

I was so freaked out by these ordeals so right after I saw the cert was attached I immediately saved a pdf copy of the reservation. I'm glad that I'm done with using the certs.
The email states that the award (Cat 1 - 4) has been cancelled. I just noticed that it mentioned it is at my request. I hope they record the call because I never did request for the cancellation.

Yes, that's the situation you described. Before he extended it, he assured me that my reservation would not be affected.

This is my first experience, I will be wiser in future when dealing with Marriot.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:44 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I think people have had mixed experiences. Some have had the certificate automatically returned to their account. Some have had it completely disappear on them and then its an uphill battle to even get it back since no one really understands them.

The best course of action if you want to cancel or even to change the dates is to first get the certificate DETACHED from your reservation, refresh the app to check that it is actually back in your account while on the phone and then cancel the reservation. This is what I have done a couple of times when making speculative bookings and its always worked for me.
I have read posts which advocate for both methods, but I do not think it has anything to do with whether or not you detach the cert first. I firmly believe it is all about the competence of the agent. A good agent can make it work either way without any issue (this used to be the norm). These days its a crapshoot as to what sort of agent you get.
I moved a TP cert from one reservation to another in about 10mins last week with no issues. Prior to that I hung up on a couple of agents as they did not fill me with any confidence they knew what they were doing.

I am done with TP now, but my advice would be to HUACA if the agent seems anyway unsure when you start talking TP's. There is just too much risk if you let some well meaning but incompetent agent touch your TP Cert
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Any recent experience trying to extend the cert a second time? It was extended for me once before. I had to cancel a reservation in the US last minute, and my cert expires in a couple of weeks. The cert went back to my account automatically. It now says I have "Partial Package - 7 nights category 1-4" cert. Any way to extend it?
I had mine extended today for a year ( it was extended once when it was converted to Cat 1-4) but it cost me my award reservation. Now, I can't use it for the same hotel as it became Cat 5 this month; I had used my 7-nites cert when it was Cat 4.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I have read posts which advocate for both methods, but I do not think it has anything to do with whether or not you detach the cert first. I firmly believe it is all about the competence of the agent. A good agent can make it work either way without any issue (this used to be the norm). These days its a crapshoot as to what sort of agent you get.
I moved a TP cert from one reservation to another in about 10mins last week with no issues. Prior to that I hung up on a couple of agents as they did not fill me with any confidence they knew what they were doing.

I am done with TP now, but my advice would be to HUACA if the agent seems anyway unsure when you start talking TP's. There is just too much risk if you let some well meaning but incompetent agent touch your TP Cert
In my case, the CSR was just extending my 7-nite cert for another year. And I was told that it had no impact on my existing award reservation using the cert.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by salfcl

This has been discussed so many times. No one can "extend" the TP. The rep just would just cancel or close the current one and re-issue a new TP with expiration one year from the day it was re-issued.

Also, once a TP is attached to a reservation, any change, like the dates or the payment (points or TP) would result a new booking. Clearly, removing the old TP and re-issue a new TP would result in a new booking. All changes like this should have been done before the category changes.

You can try to call and hope the best. But....
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:36 am

I wonder if the current travel situation will open up the ease of an unofficial further extension being allowed?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I wonder if the current travel situation will open up the ease of an unofficial further extension being allowed?
maybe. but its very clear from all the DPs that reissuing the TP for another 1 year extension is ultra YMMV. ive gotten "NO" many times already. im still calling for the YES. i hate that, but HUCA is the only way. doesnt look like bonvoy has a consistent policy for TP time extensions. not surprised. its always a circus at the marriott booby trap club.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
This has been discussed so many times. No one can "extend" the TP. The rep just would just cancel or close the current one and re-issue a new TP with expiration one year from the day it was re-issued.

Also, once a TP is attached to a reservation, any change, like the dates or the payment (points or TP) would result a new booking. Clearly, removing the old TP and re-issue a new TP would result in a new booking. All changes like this should have been done before the category changes.

You can try to call and hope the best. But....
If I had known before hand, I would have left the certificate untouch. Since it is done, I decided to cancel the reservation; takes too much time dealing with Marriot. Will be smarter next time when I use the cert. Just too much to learn to make a simple redemption. Life is too short to be tied down by such a loyalty program.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I had the same thing happen. I was just on the phone for the 6th time over 2 weeks to get an award reservation straightened out that used the 40 k certificate as it was canceled for no apparent reason. It took 4 calls to get the certificate attached correctly then another 2 to get the reservation straightened out.

Also, I spent 2 hours on the phone with reservations on March 3 to order one of the Cat 6 travel packages with 50k United miles. I just checked my reservation and the certificate is back in my account not attached to the reservation, the hotel is now a Category 7, and the United miles have not posted to my United account.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:24 am

Maybe we should add to the Wiki that because of how glitchy these things are, one should try to complete the attachment (and check it) well before the category change takes place and not wait until a day or two before.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Maybe we should add to the Wiki that because of how glitchy these things are, one should try to complete the attachment (and check it) well before the category change takes place and not wait until a day or two before.
I did.
Counsellor and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Happy
I know it will work with the credit card certificate. But does it also work with the 7 nights certificate?
The implementation for the CC certificates has always been in place and was accurate. Its a much tighter use case. Same number of certificates for the same number of nights. The TP has always been a flaky implementation which is why it needed human intervention.

Originally Posted by Happy
We dont even see a 7 night cert in the past, it would be like a combo of 2 sets of nights IIRC showing the actual booking details.
I am not sure what you mean by the above sentence.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by soy

The good agent will basically do what I described - Detach the certificate and return to the account, Cancel the reservation if needed, Create a new reservation and finally Attach the certificate to the new reservation - all without causing any issues. It's the ones who don't understand these instruments that screw it up.

Anyway, I have attached the last of my TP Cert (I only had 2 to begin with - one from each of my wife's and my account) at a Cat 5 that is now a Cat 6. I hope I can fulfill that reservation and not have to make any changes and yes I am glad to be done with these. Its 5 night redemptions from now on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.