Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I am not sure we have good data points on extending in a situation like yours. My guess would be that you can extend since you have not touched the NC since converting but it depends on the luck of the agent you draw when you call in. Have you tried calling to extend? One denial does not mean anything these days since different agents give different answers. I would suggest calling back a few different times to try to extend if you are initially told no. Perhaps try calling the UK line during UK business hours too (old reports used to claim better success there although I have not seen any recent reports from there).

In regard to your other question. You do not have to complete your stay by the expiration date but the exact date is not clear to me. My data point is that I used a cert last year where I checked in on a Tuesday and the 7-day cert expired two days later (Thursday) and it was fine. I had previously asked an agent if this was possible and they connected with a colleague in their Bonvoy team to confirm that it was. Even though I was nervous about it working I figured if it did not work I would quote the answer the agent gave me and demand they extend the cert to fix their mistake. Others have said you cannot check-in on the day your cert expires but I have no experience with that. In my case looking at the daily rate breakdown the first day of my stay was listed as free with the rest of the 6 days charged so I suspect it might have been a problem for me if my cert expired on the day I checked in since maybe the hotel would not be submitting it for redemption on a free day, they might wait until the first chargeable day (second day of my stay)? To recap, I was able to use a cert for a 7 day stay when the cert expired 2 days after check-in.
Just wanted to update you on what happened, I did HUCA a few times, on the last time I had a lady that seemed like she really wanted to help. I cited the reason as wanting to visit my friend in SK but CDC raised it to level 3. However when she asked someone to help her extend it, the system wouldn't let them do it because it was able to see that I got an extension with OC already, so even post merger, it counts and they weren't able to do it. Admittedly I didn't push to speak to a supervisor or anyone higher up that could possibly override it but at this point my cert will be turning 3 years old soon and I figured I'll just use it on a little consolation trip. I definitely regret not upgrading my cert, as I found it really hard to use given the category 1-4 restriction but it is what it is.

Also thank you very much for your DP on the 7 day cert, I will keep that in mind but will try my best to fit the entire trip in before the expiration date.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Perhaps I have a different perspective on the purpose of discussions on FT than some of you. I have looked here for clarity about company policies when the terms and conditions were ambiguous and/or customer service provided conflicting answers. In return for the help that others provided, I have tried to provide assistance to othe tv rs.

I don’t believe Marriott management ever provided clear rules about extending travel packages to customers or front line company reps and the Lurkers have been mostly silent on the issue, which is why I believe anecdotal evidence is useful to some of us.

Although an extension of a month for one of my certificates after the conversion would have been nice, I was told no by several reps who checked with multiple supervisors. As I explained to Marriott reps, I was either going to use my unextended certificate during a period of peak rates or if allowed I would use it in the off season at the same hotel which would have worked better for my family. Not a huge issue, since I had a points advance reservation during a period of high cash and points rates that I attached my last certificate to once it became clear that in my case an extension wasn’t going to happen.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by rny321
Perhaps I have a different perspective on the purpose of discussions on FT than some of you. I have looked here for clarity about company policies when the terms and conditions were ambiguous and/or customer service provided conflicting answers. In return for the help that others provided, I have tried to provide assistance to othe tv rs.

I don’t believe Marriott ever provided clear rules about extending travel packages to customers or company reps and the Lurkers have been silent on the issue, which is why I believe anecdotal evidence is useful to some of us.

Although an extension of a month for one of my certificates after the conversion would have been nice, I was told no by several reps who checked with multiple supervisors. As I explained to Marriott reps, I was either going to use my unextended certificate during a period of peak rates or if allowed I would use it in the off season at the same hotel which would have worked better for my family. Not a huge issue, since I had a points advance reservation during a period of high cash and points rates that I attached my last certificate to once it became clear that in my case an extension wasn’t going to happen.
Well, this thread is about the New TP post 8/18/2018. There was a much longer thread about the old TP, or OC. We all be happy to help each other.

The original terms of the OC were very clear. Have to be used within 12 month period; no extension; no cancellation; no upgrade; subject to annual category changes.

We all knew that Marriott had a lot of difficulties with its system. All the OCs were converted and given a new 12-month term. The conversion was not perfect, but generally it is considered fair. Quite some people received additional extensions.

Those TPs are not immune from inflation or devaluation. We can't blame Marriott for it.

From all the posts, I see a lot people continue to benefit from the conversion, extension and get good value from the legacy TPs....

Most of the hotel programs won't give any extension to hotel certificate. Hyatt is a very good example. Marriott bends the rules and causes more problem to itself.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:18 pm

The original terms of the old certificates allowed category changes which extended the expiration and one or two extensions just for asking. Later rules changes were much more restrictive, but never clearly communicated to customers or employees.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not believe the original terms of the original OC before the Marriott/SPG merger (like 2016 etc) allowed any category changes and extensions. The conversions and extensions are related to the 2018 merger....
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not believe the original terms of the original OC before the Marriott/SPG merger (like 2016 etc) allowed any category changes and extensions. The conversions and extensions are related to the 2018 merger....
I purchased many travel packages. I believe I had one that I used over four years after purchase. The rules were one extension for any reason and another if attached to a reservation. Conversions to any category were unlimited and restarted the clock. The Wiki suggested that people pick the lowest category certificate and upgrade as needed.

Hyatt used to refund points for unusable certificates and Hilton will extend for one month.

Last edited by rny321; Feb 27, 2020 at 5:46 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:48 pm
soy

Programs: various
OC were easily extended, and conversions permitted. The issues did not start until 2018
kar120c likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:27 pm

If Marriott was a person, I would have shot them by now. Every god damn time, they can't get certs right. EVERY SINGLE TIME. We're talking like FIVE TIMES. Now, giving ........ of how I the stay needs to be done before the expiration, which is not true. Do I need to escalate to executive office for EVERY CERT?!?!

Marriott if you're reading this, I give you the biggest middle finger I can.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
If Marriott was a person, I would have shot them by now. Every god damn time, they can't get certs right. EVERY SINGLE TIME. We're talking like FIVE TIMES. Now, giving ........ of how I the stay needs to be done before the expiration, which is not true. Do I need to escalate to executive office for EVERY CERT?!?!

Marriott if you're reading this, I give you the biggest middle finger I can.
I’ve had many an issue with these TP’s, however I actually did think the stay had to at least start before the cert. expiration, unless extended?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I’ve had many an issue with these TP’s, however I actually did think the stay had to at least start before the cert. expiration, unless extended?
So far as I know, that is indeed the case. Indeed, since the certificate has to be attached to the reservation by a CSR, usually the CSR will explain that it cannot be attached to the reservation because the certificate will have expired.

What has happened sometimes is that the CSR, when asked to attach an expiring certificate to a reservation that begins after the certificate is due to expire, will extend it (by cancelling and reissuing the certificate).
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
What has happened sometimes is that the CSR, when asked to attach an expiring certificate to a reservation that begins after the certificate is due to expire, will extend it (by cancelling and reissuing the certificate).
I see, this in itself another route to getting an extension
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:16 pm

I appreciate that members are continuing to post the results of their recent attempts to get extensions. Although I attached my last two certificates, it's still possible that COVID-19 will end up affecting my current travel plans as it did my earlier ones. Although I believe my current trips are safe, that's what I thought about some of the places that are now problematic. Hopefully, those of you whose travel plans are forced to change due to travel restrictions will find Marriott and others willing to make adjustments to alleviate at least the financial burden.
pazza2000 and ankomonkey like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We had to cancel our trip to Taiwan because the tickets were bought with Air China. We attached a cert to a reservation to a hotel in Taiwan and now it needed to be cancelled. We booked a trip to DC instead so we wanted to attach the new cert to another hotel.

Mr. called and attempted to detach the cert, nope, CSR couldn't do that. She said she couldn't detach the cert/cancel the reservation and she sent a request to cancel the reservation. Now we are keeping our fingers crossed so that they don't delete his cert.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:43 am
soy

Programs: various
DP - I extended the last of my OC certs last week. First time extension, not counting the conversion to new cert last August. Originally was going to wait a little longer, but a couple of my target properties are moving up in category so decided to pull the trigger.
Called UK line first as historically they have been best to deal with, but this time were useless. Offered to open a 'case' and get back to me in 5 business days. No good.
Called US TIT line instead, straight through and agent was able to get it sorted in about 10mins. Note I did not call asking for an extension, rather I had already made a points reservation for dates after the cert was due to expire, so my ask was to have them attach the cert to my award stay. Cert now attached and points refunded.

Anyway, I'm done now, TP's were great while they lasted.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I had offered up my Cat 5 Cert in CC in exchange for Hyatt points but didn't get any takers (well no reasonable offers anyway) so decided to use it for myself at a Cat 5 that is going up to Cat 6 tomorrow. This was originally a OC5 which I was able to upgrade to a NC5 for additional 60K in August when converting over from OC to NC. The first couple of agents I called last week refused to extend. I decided to not bother calling on the weekend since that is usually the B-Team. Yesterday (Monday) I called in and a truly competent agent canceled the cert expiring in August which returned 105K points back (yes I was constantly refreshing the app when on the phone), then she ordered a new cert and I could see it appear on my account with an expiration in March 2021 and finally made the reservation and attached the cert. The stay was priced at 240K points (all peak nights over Christmas break) with a room rate over $600/night so a great use of the cert.

I think we are all going to miss these Travel Packages for their value but quite frankly I am glad I don't have any more of them. It was a huge time suck to actually use them and spend hours with HUCA to find the few agents who knew what they were doing. Its going to be 5-night redemptions going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.