Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, BW Diamond, Aeroplan 25k
Yeah...they even put March 1 in writing and still pull this. Wow.

We just booked our planned trip with a point advance reservation. The hotel we want is on the "going up by 20k" on Mar. 29 list AND has a pointsaver bonus on now, not waiting for Marriott to get its act together and risk losing that differential.

Very slick...make everyone think they're getting a sick deal with the full point cashout so we all keep our certs, then hold off til the devaluation to deliver. No doubt they will fix the problem on March 30.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by maplearrbee

We just booked our planned trip with a point advance reservation. The hotel we want is on the "going up by 20k" on Mar. 29 list AND has a pointsaver bonus on now, not waiting for Marriott to get its act together and risk losing that differential.

Very slick...make everyone think they're getting a sick deal with the full point cashout so we all keep our certs, then hold off til the devaluation to deliver. No doubt they will fix the problem on March 30.
Maybe someone will claim, "Oh, the zero was forgotten after the 1 in the March date.". So from March 1 to March 10 it goes? Until I see accounts with points deposited at the peak-price level for these remaining travel package certs, I am skeptical. Marriott can further Bonvoy customers with these remaining partial travel package certs.
SPN Lifer and pazza2000 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by maplearrbee

What property is this, out of interest?

I will optimistically hope that today is the day we start to see the correct number of points drop into our accounts.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
This sounds more like incompetance (deliberate misspelling) than duplicity. Marriott could have offered the equivalent of six nights of points and then followed through on March1 and almost everyone with a travel package would have been pleased. Instead, Marriott offered points equal to seven peak nights and then failed to do so on the promised date and infuriated people needlessly.

My last travel package was a Category 6 which was converted to 165K in points instead of being detached by a representative. After a lot of wasted time, I got a total of 425K in points, 420K plus 5K for the inconvenience. Since it was part of a older Category 9 package that I paid 390K for, I am quite pleased with the final result. Still, I can't ignore the aggravation of dealing with at least one agent who wasn't sure I would get any more than 165K in points.

This could have been a very positive outcome that offset some of the bad feelings about the rest of the changes to award travel and Marriott botched it. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by rny321
This sounds more like incompetance (deliberate misspelling) than duplicity. Marriott could have offered the equivalent of six nights of points and then followed through on March1 and almost everyone with a travel package would have been pleased. Instead, Marriott offered points equal to seven peak nights and then failed to do so on the promised date and infuriated people needlessly.

My last travel package was a Category 6 which was converted to 165K in points instead of being detached by a representative. After a lot of wasted time, I got a total of 425K in points, 420K plus 5K for the inconvenience. Since it was part of a older Category 9 package that I paid 390K for, I am quite pleased with the final result. Still, I can't ignore the aggravation of dealing with at least one agent who wasn't sure I would get any more than 165K in points.

This could have been a very positive outcome that offset some of the bad feelings about the rest of the changes to award travel and Marriott botched it. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.
You nailed it. This went from a very positive experience ("hey - I'm getting 7 nights at full value!") to a horrible one. Now even if Marriott delivers on their promise it still leaves a bad taste.

And like you, I hope this is just incompetance .
rny321 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by johnep1
You nailed it. This went from a very positive experience ("hey - I'm getting 7 nights at full value!") to a horrible one. Now even if Marriott delivers on their promise it still leaves a bad taste.

And like you, I hope this is just incompetance .
Alternatively, instead of overpromising and underdelivering, they could have told everyone they were getting six nights of points on March 11 and then delivered 7 nights of points on March 1. It would have generated a huge amount of positive press at no additional cost.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:08 am

Alternatively, instead of overpromising and underdelivering, they could have told everyone they were getting six nights of points on March 11 and then delivered 7 nights of points on March 1. It would have generated a huge amount of positive press at no additional cost.
Yep - they could have done just about anything except what they did. Someone's head will hopefully roll for this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:31 am

Still nothing.

I was thinking I would still be with Marriott even after the devaluation because I have titanium status and may want to work toward lifetime platinum but now I’m sure after I use up all my points I’ll say goodbye to Marriott.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:35 am

I actually was thinking about doing the same thing before the end of Feb to get the points quicker but then I thought well I’ll just wait a few more days for it to get converted automatically. Now I so regret it I should’ve just take some time to do that in Feb instead of trusting Marriott.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:51 am

This sounds more like incompetance (deliberate misspelling)
IMO the whole thing reeks of reverse Hanlon's razor theory - never attribute to incompetence that which is adequately explained by lack of intent.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by senyah
Agreed. Probably best to let this month pass and have to deal with the modifications/cancellations with just points.

I have two certs attached to 2 trips in May, that I need to adjust by a day or two.

I've read notes from a few that existing unattached certs were converted to a new cert with the points labeled on them with the 30-Jun expiry, however, has anyone had to detach a certificate that was attached to a reservation after 01-Mar?
If so, did you get one of these new certs deposited in your account?

Wondering on the course of action to take ... I had reserved points advance reservations with the actual dates I needed, but want to make sure the points will be in the account before the 60-day period on 20-Mar.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by senyah
I've read notes from a few that existing unattached certs were converted to a new cert with the points labeled on them with the 30-Jun expiry, however, has anyone had to detach a certificate that was attached to a reservation after 01-Mar?
If so, did you get one of these new certs deposited in your account?

Wondering on the course of action to take ... I had reserved points advance reservations with the actual dates I needed, but want to make sure the points will be in the account before the 60-day period on 20-Mar.

I think someone posted earlier, that it was detached and became one of the new certificate in the account, NOT converted to points
Happy and senyah like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:36 pm

Any sign of a conversion yet?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Any sign of a conversion yet?

NO!

and I got an email today telling me I have more than 3 Point Advanced reservations and I have to cancel a few!! ...?! I’m waiting for the god damn points to post in my account so I can apply the points. I’m so pissed right now
pazza2000 and senyah like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by kalu0922
NO!

and I got an email today telling me I have more than 3 Point Advanced reservations and I have to cancel a few!! ...?! I’m waiting for the god damn points to post in my account so I can apply the points. I’m so pissed right now
As long as the Points Adv. rate + availability doesn’t change and you receive these before April, you should be fine…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.