Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is Marriott Gouging Dorian Evacuees?

Old Sep 2, 19, 6:22 am
Original Poster

I am forced to evacuate and the rate I paying is about 2x the rate for next Monday and much higher than I am paying later in the week on another reservation made before the evacuations. I am not sure how and why Marriott is allowing pricing up to rack rates during the storm. but today I will pay the highest rate I have ever seen charged at this hotel. I have over 30 nights there. Let me add the property is under construction now and has limited facilities.

On the flip side KUDOS to ROSEN Hotels!

Hurricane Dorian - Rosen Hotels & Resorts Orlando Evacuee Rates

Rosen Hotels & Resorts is opening the doors of its eight Orlando-area hotels with special distress rates for those affected by Hurricane Dorian. The company is working diligently to assist evacuees seeking a safe home away

I will from home. Guests may call 866-337-6736.

During my stay I plan on speaking to the GM. If I don't like the answers I am going to report them to the AG of Florida for Price Gouging. Also, they are NOT lifting their cancellation fees universally like the Airlines have done. Each hotel is allowed to do what they want. Floridians should not forget this.

Free Wifi and Pet-Friendly, with no additional pet fee with the Distress Rate.

$59.99/night*
Rosen Inn International, 7600 International Dr. Orlando
Rosen Inn closest to Universal, 6327 International Dr., Orlando
Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando, 9000 International Dr., Orlando
Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, 8442 Palm Parkway, Lake Buena Vista
Midpointe Hotel, 9956 Hawaiian Ct, Orlando
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:49 am

I would imagine that there are probably demand based pricing algorithms in place that are adjusting to the spike in bookings. Probably something that needs to be overridden manually. Certainly not good PR if prices become astronomical.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:17 am

would you rather have low rates and zero rooms available because a bunch of families of four decided to book two rooms each due to the low prices?
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I rather not be gouged and there are zero rooms available at double the normal rates so lower rates would not "sell out the hotel" any more than high rates do.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
I would imagine that there are probably demand based pricing algorithms in place that are adjusting to the spike in bookings. Probably something that needs to be overridden manually. Certainly not good PR if prices become astronomical.
In Florida it is illegal.

https://www.wfla.com/weather/trackin...ake-of-dorian/

Hotels are specifically named!
Tanic, Silver Fox and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Rates are often lowered to fill the rooms, it is supply and demand.

KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP your title maybe misleading, Marriott Corp owns very few hotels, are you sure the hotel you were looking at is Corp owned? If its not then Marriott isnt Gouging anyone. That said, I was thinking of doing a mattress run up here in the NE (far from any storm) and ended up not doing one simply because the rates were alot more this week then the next 2, alot has to do with Labor Day Weekend. The only way to know if its Gouging if by chance before any mention of the storm you happened to look at hotel rates and they were alot lower , that said like air fares as it fills up rates go higher

The Rosen chain seems to be doing a nice favor and putting out a very low rate or was it that low even before mention of a storm due to low occupancy after the holiday? Or did everyone book a known brand and this chain didnt have many bookings since most folks wouldnt havent heard of them

If a Marriott prop put out the same rate but with an * no status upgrades , stay credit or points earned due to the extremely low rate, my gut tells me youd be posting how unfair that is.

If you honestly feel that hotel is Gouging doesnt FL have the means in place to report them? btw what rate did the Hotel you were looking at want and how full was it?

that all said, hopefully you and yours will be safe and get thru the storm and have what to laugh about afterwards
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
In Florida it is illegal.

https://www.wfla.com/weather/trackin...ake-of-dorian/

Hotels are specifically named!
from the article you linked ; That includes prices of food, water, hotels, ice, gas, lumber and other equipment doesnt look like 'hotels' were specifically named IMO, it was was just 1 of 7 items mentioned

Just saw this on a post on Boarding Area:

As I write this post, Hurricane Dorian is decimating the Bahamas and may or may not cause some major damage to the eastern half of Florida.Because it’s inland, Central Florida doesn’t get nearly the amount of damage that can be seen on the Atlantic or Gulf coasts of the state (hurricanes need to be over warm water to gain/keep their strength, so as they go over land, they lose some of their steam). Granted, we still get our share of major issues when big storms come through. Roofs blow off houses, trees come down, mobile homes are destroyed, we lose electricity for days or weeks, etc. We, thankfully, just don’t get the same level of devastation that the coasts get, is all.

ABOVE: Hurricane Charley, 2004. 110mph winds knocked down our neighbor’s tree, which landed on our tree and roof
Of course, Orlando International Airport also shuts down for big weather issues such as hurricanes, since it’s obviously not safe for planes to fly in that sort of weather (although this Allegiant plane full of passengers did during Hurricane Florence in 2018???)So between people from the coast evacuating inland, others being stranded because their flights are canceled, and having over 120,000 hotels rooms in the area because we have a lot of theme parks, we tend to get an influx of visitors when a hurricane is aimed at Florida.Some hoteliers would take advantage of this and raise prices, gouging people when they’re in the most need. But there’s one hotel owner in Central Florida who does the opposite… Central Florida hotelier Harris Rosen is opening the doors of his eight Orlando-area hotels with special distress rates for those affected by Hurricane Dorian, as per a press release put out by Rosen Hotels & Resorts. The rates are:$59.99/night
Rosen Inn International, 7600 International Dr. Orlando
Rosen Inn closest to Universal, 6327 International Dr., Orlando
Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando, 9000 International Dr., Orlando
Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, 8442 Palm Parkway, Lake Buena Vista
Midpointe Hotel, 9956 Hawaiian Ct, Orlando
To book, call (866) 33-ROSEN (1-866-337-6736)
www.orlandohotels4less.com/hurricane$79/night
Rosen Plaza, 9700 International Drive, Orlando
To book, call (800) 627-8258
www.rosenplaza.com$84/night
Rosen Centre, 9840 International Drive, Orlando
To book, call (800) 204-7234
www.rosencentre.com$89/night
Rosen Shingle Creek, 9939 Universal Blvd., Orlando
To book, call (866) 996-6338
www.rosenshinglecreek.com

I guess the nicer the property the more you pay? Is Rosen Gouging by charging almost 40% more at his Shingle Creek then his $59.99 places

Last edited by craz; Sep 2, 19 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
I rather not be gouged and there are zero rooms available at double the normal rates so lower rates would not "sell out the hotel" any more than high rates do.
"zero rooms" isn't the metric that matters. How many people are in those rooms?

FWIW, the fact that even at the higher rates the hotel is still sold out shows that people aren't getting gouged.

It's the same thing with gas. Setting a price cap 1) encourages people to buy a lot even if they don't need it 2) discourages those people from using gas for frivolous purposes and 3) discourages additional supply from being brought into the area.
Newman and rustykettel like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Price-gouging laws have long covered hotel rooms down here and there have been many fines issued over properties that did not comply with state law.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...e_gouging.html

Florida's price gouging statute requires that the cost of necessities like food and water must remain at the price that was average during the 30 days immediately preceding a major storm like Hurricane Charley. Otherwise, violators of the price gouging statute are subject to civil penalties of $1,000 per violation up to a total of $25,000 for multiple violations committed in a single 24-hour period.

Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act provides for civil penalties of $10,000 per violation or $15,000 for violations that victimize a senior citizen or handicapped person.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by craz View Post
OP your title maybe misleading, Marriott Corp owns very few hotels, are you sure the hotel you were looking at is Corp owned? If its not then Marriott isnt Gouging anyone
For hotels with a big Marriott sign outside, staffed with people in Marriott uniforms and booked through the Marriott website, then it’s reasonable to use Marriott in a thread title in this context on this forum. We don’t need to be diverted from the topic in question by technical nitpicks re ownership structures.
GUWonder, CPRich, Tanic and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
I've got a friend who works in corporate communication for Big Oil at a company that puts its name on locally owned and operated gas stations, There were many internal memos sent out to station owners last week reminding them that Florida is serious about its price gouging laws and they expected franchise owners to fully comply with those state laws.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
For hotels with a big Marriott sign outside, staffed with people in Marriott uniforms and booked through the Marriott website, then itís reasonable to use Marriott in a thread title in this context on this forum. We donít need to be diverted from the topic in question by technical nitpicks re ownership structures.
Obivously I Disagree with you and its not a tech nitpick.

Notice how the OP hasnt stated what the so called gouging rate is, only that its 2x what it is for next week, which as I posted above I found the exact same up here in the NE, simply theres less demand next week and this week is a holiday week. In order to say its gouging the hotel would have had to have say a $89 rate and only after mention of the storm raised its rates while still being very far from being soldout. If the Rosen chain decides to give away its rooms that doesnt mean the others are gouging everyone. I would agree had I looked to make a res some weeks ago and it was $89 and now the prop is far from full and wants $289, it will look as if its up to funny biz. But I had no idea what it was for this week till yesterday and its $289 and next week is $169 that doesnt mean anything it may or may not be gouging,Id agree it would appear to be but not enough info is known to be sure

And again not only IMO is wrong to claim Marriott or Hilton or IHG is Gouging but the OP besides not telling us the rate hasnt mentioned the particuliar hotel. FWIW had the OP posted Courtyard by Marriott on Apple Blvd I believe is gouging is OK or even The Marriott Hotel ( if its a "Marriott") on Apple Blvd is gouging is OK but its wrong to accuse the Chain of doing something which it isnt nor has control over unless its a Corp owned property
moondog, Newman and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I've got a friend who works in corporate communication for Big Oil at a company that puts its name on locally owned and operated gas stations, There were many internal memos sent out to station owners last week reminding them that Florida is serious about its price gouging laws and they expected franchise owners to fully comply with those state laws.
and if the Esso station on 1st and Main raised its price by $1 a gal, I wouldnt say Esso is gouging, Id say the Esso on 1st and Main is gouging, if all the Essos in Boca went up by a $1 Id say it seems all the Essos in Boca are gouging, If I knew that the raise in price was due to a corp memo then Id say Esso is gouging
Newman likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
For hotels with a big Marriott sign outside, staffed with people in Marriott uniforms and booked through the Marriott website, then itís reasonable to use Marriott in a thread title in this context on this forum. We donít need to be diverted from the topic in question by technical nitpicks re ownership structures.
Completely disagree.

Eventually people need to learn that hotel chains are not making micro-level decisions at franchised hotels. Rogue hotel owners are rogue hotel owners. It doesn't really matter what logo is on the clothing or the building. But most importantly in this context, Marriott has nothing at all to do with setting room rates - they are simply getting their cut of whatever the individual hotels are charging.

If the OP has checked Trivago or whatever and Marriott are the ONLY hotel chain with higher room rates due to the demand spike, then that's worthy of being called out as something potentially intrinsic to Marriott. Otherwise it's simple supply and demand with regulations in place to avoid gouging.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: