Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is Marriott Gouging Dorian Evacuees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Marriott Gouging Dorian Evacuees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Completely disagree.

Eventually people need to learn that hotel chains are not making micro-level decisions at franchised hotels. Rogue hotel owners are rogue hotel owners. It doesn't really matter what logo is on the clothing or the building. But most importantly in this context, Marriott has nothing at all to do with setting room rates - they are simply getting their cut of whatever the individual hotels are charging.

If the OP has checked Trivago or whatever and Marriott are the ONLY hotel chain with higher room rates due to the demand spike, then that's worthy of being called out as something potentially intrinsic to Marriott. Otherwise it's simple supply and demand with regulations in place to avoid gouging.
Given that Marriott itself is getting a share of any money made from price gouging — illegal or otherwise — and is involved in advertising prices for parties with which it has a more tightly-knit agency relationship than as a mere travel agency, Marriott’s lawyers would be well-advised to borrow from the mentioned gas-station playbook from Corp/Franchise-brand-owner to Franchisees and the like and send out a CYA memo too.
moondog and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer

So what happens during a big conference, the first weekend of college football season, etc.?
The law only applies to state of emergencies.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
No hotel name. No price stated. Wonder why......
As stated in numerous posts, as long as the price charged is below the rack rate it doesn't constitute gouging.
Just a fake headline falsely smearing the Marriott Corporation. Despicable.

Newman
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Newman
As stated in numerous posts, as long as the price charged is below the rack rate it doesn't constitute gouging.

Newman
So maybe it's legal price gouging then...doesn't really make it any better assuming OP's post is true. Sure Labor Day is going to be more expensive than the week after, but 2X more is a stretch.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm not seeing it. I have been commuting to and from FLL for the last month. I just booked an FFL property for @ $6.00 more than last week and $20.00 lees than two weeks ago.
PS: the Orlando Airport Lakeside Marriot is a whopping $160.00 for the week starting on Wednesday.
RoyalFlush and Newman like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Newman

Newman
A disgruntled SPG member?
Newman and Old Hickory like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I am forced to evacuate and the rate I paying is about 2x the rate for next Monday and much higher than I am paying later in the week on another reservation made before the evacuations. I am not sure how and why Marriott is allowing pricing up to rack rates during the storm. but today I will pay the highest rate I have ever seen charged at this hotel. I have over 30 nights there. Let me add the property is under construction now and has limited facilities. ... During my stay I plan on speaking to the GM. If I don't like the answers I am going to report them to the AG of Florida for Price Gouging.
Well, now, hang on just a minute. It's probably a safe bet that the hotels are full, or will be soon. And isn't it within reason to think that possibly the last room on a given night goes at the rack rate? And isn't it also reasonable to think that the rack rate could be twice as much as the rate you might normally get or even more? At the hotel where I stay most frequently, I believe that the rack rate is the local currency equivalent of USD $490. But the usual rate available on the Marriott website is a bit under $200.

So, all in all, I'm far from certain that a rate which is double what you normally pay is anything even close to price gouging.
moondog, Newman, arlflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So, all in all, I'm far from certain that a rate which is double what you normally pay is anything even close to price gouging.
Except that's pretty much the exact definition of price gouging according to the Florida law. It's just that they are apparently exempt due to the rack rate agreement.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

If that rate is more than the average rate over the past 30 days, the state of Florida does indeed say it's price gouging and their opinion matters most of all.
EuropeanPete and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Except that's pretty much the exact definition of price gouging according to the Florida law. It's just that they are apparently exempt due to the rack rate agreement.
If the law has an exemption written into it, then there is no "it's just that..." hand-waving argument to be had. The exemption is part of the law.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
It would be nice if OP would come back and tell us what property he is staying at ....
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
It would be nice if OP would come back and tell us what property he is staying at ....
Maybe he didn't get free wifi, after all.
C17PSGR and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmw303
I understand this but I disagree from a customer perspective.

Marriott obviously wants "its hotels" to reap the benefits of the "Marriott" name (and accordingly for Marriott corporation to reap a share of the profits).

They want customers to choose "Marriott" hotels because they are "Marriotts."

With that, they set customer expectations and reap the benefits from business driven by customers who are loyal to "Marriott" and/or want "Marriott" service.

When those "Marriott-level" expectations aren't met, Marriott should not be able to hide behind "but wait...yeah we say its Marriott on our website, and yeah the employees wear Marriott uniforms and yeah we sold you the room, but ... it's not a Marriott!"
This x1000.

Marriott is the brand I have a relationship with. That brand has value, which is why I'm willing to pay more than for an identical room at Joe's Motel. So when a Marriott behaves badly, it reflects on the overall brand.

I haven't visited a Conoco since September 11, 2001. To me, they will forever be shameless price gougers, regardless of how their corporation is structured and how much they blame the gouging on contractors, franchisees, or other actors. If I felt like a hotel company was gouging me, I would feel the same way and be less likely to want to do business with the brand even thousands of miles away from where the gouging happened.

(That said, this thread hasn't convinced me that Marriott is actually gouging. There are no specifics or examples.)
rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
FWIW, there are 27 Marriott properties in the Orlando area with AAA rates for two nights under $100, including a bunch around $75 a night.

If they are price gouging, they are not doing a very good job of it!
moondog, pinniped, Newman and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
FWIW I was looking at rates the middle of last week for a trip to Florida. (Had booked a hotel but cancelled Wednesday due to cancellation period ending) I had still not been able to to get a voucher for my airfare and wanted to see what rates would be in the event I decided to make the trip. Rates were actually lower than when I booked my trip. In the end AA took care of me and issued a voucher so I didn't make the trip but I didn't see any gouging at that time ( Wednesday through Friday) . Glad I could avoid the whole potential situation and free my room up so some else could use it and the staff might not have to be tied up as long so they could take care of their own families. Tourists coming into a hurricane zone is never a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.