FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   New Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Membership Card -Too Funny - Bad Design (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1985004-new-marriott-bonvoy-lt-titanium-membership-card-too-funny-bad-design.html)

Jon Maiman Aug 28, 2019 10:45 pm

New Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Membership Card -Too Funny - Bad Design

I still carry all of my travel program membership cards with me in my wallet. It is just habit I guess since I can't remember the last time I actually needed to present one to a hotel nor to an airline. I recieved my new Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium membership card recently and put it in my wallet. I didn't think much about it. Like I said, it is just a habit.

About a week later I took a business trip and flew to Denver and back from Pittsburgh. On my way out, went through the TSA Pre line in Pittsburgh and through security no issues. At the end of the week I am returning from Denver again in the TSA Pre line. I go through the WMD and it triggers. The TSA agent was nice and thinks it is my belt buckle and asks politely if I can remove it. I hand him my belt and walk through the WMD again and it triggers again. Both the TSA agent and I are stumped since my pockets are empty and I don't have any other metal on me or do I? Wait it dawns on me I got my new Marriott Bonvoy LT Card. So I hand it to the TSA agent and he comments on how heavy a card it is. I walk through the WMD one more time and this time no issue. So the Marriott Bonvoy LT Card has enough metal to trigger the WMD's (at least some of them). Great design for the frequent travel going through airports on a regular basis.

I told my wife the story when I got home and we both got a good chuckle out of it. This week I am back in Denver again; however, my Marriott Bonvoy LT card didn't make the trip. It is safely back at the house on my desk. Perhaps this is a subtle message for me to stop needlessly carrying all of the travel program member cards. To the Marriott Bonvoy program materials designers, you really goofed on the new card design :-)

--Jon

nexusCFX Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm

All the metal credit cards in my wallet set it off anyway so I just put it in my bag's side pocket to go through the scanner. I think this is probably true for many people so this seems like a non-issue especially for the sort of traveler with LTT since it seems like every card is made of metal these days.

Jon Maiman Aug 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Some of my credit cards are also metal. The Marriott LTT card is the first one I have had any issue with. It is a fairly heavy and thick card. As to your suggestion, I prefer not to be separated from my wallet at anytime. There are far too many people at the checkpoints and it would be easy for someone to steal a wallet. It only takes one bad apple for that to happen. Each to their own method...

--Jon

JBord Aug 29, 2019 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman (Post 31468586)
Perhaps this is a subtle message for me to stop needlessly carrying all of the travel program member cards.

^^^

Orange County Commuter Aug 29, 2019 7:31 am

Am I the ONLY person missing something here?

I hand him my belt and walk through the WMD again and it triggers again. Both the TSA agent and I are stumped since my pockets are empty and I don't have any other metal on me or do I?

If your pockets were empty why would you possibly need to hand him anything?

mahasamatman Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman (Post 31468586)
Great design for the frequent travel going through airports on a regular basis.

Frequent travelers know to empty their pockets before they ever get to the WMD. Most airports don't callibrate their machines correctly.

rebadc Aug 29, 2019 8:18 am

Marriott is sending out membership cards?
I have not received a card in years, but again have not called in and asked for one.

itisme Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by rebadc (Post 31469815)
Marriott is sending out membership cards?
I have not received a card in years, but again have not called in and asked for one.

They did send them to me (internationally). Arrived a few weeks after triggering the status.

KRSW Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am

We tried this with a few friendly employees at an airport when I had plenty of time to kill

The my friend's Ritz-Carlton Visa card would set off the metal detectors, whilst the Chase Sapphire Preferred / Reserve did not. The Ritz card was easily 2x the metal of the CSP.

nexusCFX Aug 29, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 31470421)
We tried this with a few friendly employees at an airport when I had plenty of time to kill

The my friend's Ritz-Carlton Visa card would set off the metal detectors, whilst the Chase Sapphire Preferred / Reserve did not. The Ritz card was easily 2x the metal of the CSP.

That and the non-contactless AMEX plat are probably what sets it off with my wallet too.

Ord Liza Aug 29, 2019 12:38 pm

My husband's Chase Sapphire Reserve sets it off.

rylan Aug 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31469695)
Frequent travelers know to empty their pockets before they ever get to the WMD.

This. Empty pockets doesn't mean leave your wallet etc in there.

Orange County Commuter Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes, I understand that this is a difficult concept for men but when the man near me "YELLS" at me for taking my shoes off (which I do because I KNOW they have metal in them) and then sets off the alarm because "Empty your pockets" means "Only some of your pockets I do smile.

Newman Aug 29, 2019 3:54 pm

New Titanium cards have Customer Service phone #, but no phone # for reservations :(

Newman

KRSW Aug 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 31471401)
New Titanium cards have Customer Service phone #, but no phone # for reservations :(

Not even a FAX number?