Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points, US (unsure, other areas) (Dec 2020)
Moxy
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Courtyard (Dec 2020)
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St. Regis
Westin (Dec 2020)
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Maybe … the dime-store degreed marketing geniuses could use red font color so those of us without uncorrected 20/20 vision could actually read what bottle is for what purpose. Even with the closeup photo on my computer screen and with my glasses on I had to squint to see which was which.
but … but … what about those poor folks with red/green color blindness? all they’ll see is grey-on-grey

Originally Posted by goodeats21
And leads to things such as I had this week, with 2 shampoo bottles and no body wash. Not discovered until I was in the shower in the morning.
at least shampoo gives lather

what’s worse is when the “body wash” bottle actually contains conditioner

(HIX Pasadena, but the point remains)
greg99 and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 25, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jrl767
slightly tangential, but a big “thumbs down” to the branding/design team of twits at North 39

I fully understand having the brand name in large type on the container, and the individual product in smaller type, but who in their right mind approved the same color scheme for all three products (shampoo, conditioner, and hand and body wash L-R respectively)?

moreover, why did they choose a font color with such low contrast from the container background?

Residence Inn La Quinta (Palm Springs / Indio CA)
I was just about to post the same gripe.

If you think they're hard to read in the picture, try it with your classes off in a steamy shower.
greg99 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So this stuff is Marriott's own brand of toiletries?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
So this stuff is Marriott's own brand of toiletries?
They registered and own the trademark. They probably don't produce it in house.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
There are so many 39º NØRTH bottles for sale on eBay, you'd think that a shipment destined for an RI fell off the back of a delivery truck.
SPN Lifer, KRSW and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
According to the trademark filing by Marriott, it is pronounced "north". Seemingly an in house creation....
39 N seems to be the approximate latitude of Bethesda MD, where Marriott is headquartered.
dw, SPN Lifer, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:46 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The big fail for me is that someone at Marriott thought it would be feasible in a commercial setting (and likely allow cost savings with the installation) to wall mount these new bottles using adhesive instead of screws.

Look how well that worked out at the Courtyard I checked into yesterday (was like this when I arrived; clearly housekeeping decided it’s a lost cause in trying to stick them back on).

SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by dw
The big fail for me is that someone at Marriott thought it would be feasible in a commercial setting (and likely allow cost savings with the installation) to wall mount these new bottles using adhesive instead of screws.

Look how well that worked out at the Courtyard I checked into yesterday (was like this when I arrived; clearly housekeeping decided it’s a lost cause in trying to stick them back on).

The Courtyard Boston had the same thing - 39 Degree North bottles randomly in the shower with adhesive clearly not working
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:49 pm

+1 to all of the recent comments. I have very poor vision (about 12"-16" without glasses) so I need this stuff to be color-differentiated.

I also experienced the random bottles falling off at the brand new Courtyard Titusville earlier this year. Brand new hotel, less than 1 month old, 1 bottle was already sitting on the shelf, 1 came off during our trip, and 1 was empty for 2 days straight.

Also, the new toiletries are a far cry from the Paul Mitchell stuff they used to carry.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
The Courtyard Boston had the same thing - 39 Degree North bottles randomly in the shower with adhesive clearly not working
Those tapes won't work well on wallpaper.

I have had bottles couldn't be put on the wall too, and I was stupid enough to spend 5 minutes to help to put it back on and it didn't work.

I also try to make sure the bottles actually have enough for us to use before taking off my shoes when I get to the room and I can't see well either, so I also learn which is what when I still have my glasses on.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Is "North 39" going to invade all the Marriott Brands?

I was at a Westin last week that had 2 bottles of North 39 (Shampoo and Body Wash) along with a single White Tea bottle (conditioner).
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Just been to Leicester Marriott UK. This works toiletries. Conditioner is good but the shower gel made my skin burn. Too much fragrance. Oh for the days of Aromatherapy or Neutrogena. I wish they would have a large body lotion bottle. Husband and I use a lot. Preferably with no fragrance
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is "North 39" going to invade all the Marriott Brands?

I was at a Westin last week that had 2 bottles of North 39 (Shampoo and Body Wash) along with a single White Tea bottle (conditioner).
Was just at the Marriott Tang Plaza in Singapore, This Works were the amenities provided. I do kind of like them.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My biggest pet peeve with the locker-room style toiletries at this point is that for the last 2-3 stays, at least one has been empty or near-empty.

If we're going to go with the cheap look throughout the hotel brands, at least do as well as the YMCA does in keeping the bottles full.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pinniped
My biggest pet peeve with the locker-room style toiletries at this point is that for the last 2-3 stays, at least one has been empty or near-empty.

If we're going to go with the cheap look throughout the hotel brands, at least do as well as the YMCA does in keeping the bottles full.
Probably there after SPN Lifer.

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who designed these bottles?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.