Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points, US (unsure, other areas) (Dec 2020)
Moxy
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Courtyard (Dec 2020)
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St. Regis
Westin (Dec 2020)
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
A little thing called COVID?
I believe mixed in with some unfounded fears/urban myths that people would “tamper” with the contents of the high volume dispensers 🙄
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
A little thing called COVID?
Funny how quickly the environmental marketing initiative minimizing single-use items and plastics flipped over to a clean initiative where single use became preferred and plastic literally covers everything.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
High consumer demand for Bonv°y bulk shower products? 😮

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 499)
One can bring home more as a souvenir for the family, if checking a bag, from the bulk dispensers. As long as one has brought an empty container. (!)
Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post # 500)
The caveat to that is checking a bag. But, you could get a pretty decent supply doing that. If only they had hand sanitizer in bulk right now I’d top up my travel size dispensers.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 503)
Consumables are included in the rate

Many guests bring home pens, notepads, coffee bags, popcorn, teabags, and single-use toiletry bottles. Some even bring home toilet paper and tissues.

If someone chooses to forego use of hair conditioner, there is nothing wrong with taking home a reasonable amount (that could have been taken used by a spouse or child during that stay).

However, if too many guests begin draining an excessive amount, this could provide an economic incentive to return to single-use toiletry bottles.
Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post # 505)
This would be a positive. It would backfire the cost cutting move.

Also not a lot of ways to meter how much a given guest is using.

But a wasteful guest could also ask for "lots of extras" of the single use bottles. Would a hotel deny excessive requests? How do you define excessive shampoo use for a young hairy family of 4 who uses the pool (meaning, multiple showers each in a day) vs. a single bald business traveler who does not use the pool and only takes one shower in a day.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 506)
Probably more effective than complaining to Marriott corporate HQ.

In the meanwhile, Titanium Elite members might need to purchase only minimal shampoo at stores.

Especially if they typically use only a "pea" or a "bean" of shampoo upon each use.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 520)
If one forgets to bring more substantial containers, zip-lock plastic bags will suffice to bring home reasonable quantities of shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner to make up for the multiple bathing sessions foregone due to full schedules.

If Marriott did not want us to bring home greater amounts of consumables, they would not have provided them.

Bonv°y!
Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post # 524)
I remember a thread a few years ago talking about Marriott removing the single use plastic toiletry bottles from their hotel chains. I can't find it through search on the forums but Google tells me they were supposed to have all of them removed by/in 2020.

I just stayed at 5 different hotels throughout the middle of the US (Fairfield, SpringHill, Marriott, TownePlace). Three of the properties were brand new, one was old (FS Marriott, of course) and one was maybe 2-4 years old. Not a single one of these properties has the "large" bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash in the shower; they all have single, individual use plastic toiletry bottles.

What gives?

-RM
Perhaps guests are using the bulk consumables at a higher-than-expected rate? 🙂

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I just stayed at 5 different hotels throughout the middle of the US (Fairfield, SpringHill, Marriott, TownePlace). Three of the properties were brand new, one was old (FS Marriott, of course) and one was maybe 2-4 years old. Not a single one of these properties has the "large" bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash in the shower; they all have single, individual use plastic toiletry bottles.
Good. Perhaps there is hope after all!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have one recent data point. CY Tysons Mclean, VA has single use bottles. This is an older CY property. Need more data points before drawing a conclusion on if Marriott has reversed the policy. I was not a fan of the large shared bottles. While it most likely is more ecologically sound to have the large bottles, I didn't have enough faith in my fellow guests and housekeeping that they would truly be kept sanitary. YMMV...

--Jon
SPN Lifer, cfabar1, svo242 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:03 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Stayed at 9 properties in 3 countries in 2021. So far, all of them have used small toiletries. Have a long-term stay going on perpetually in the background in the US and they seem to restock the small toiletries whenever housekeeping is done.

I have stays at 3 different properties in the next 2 weeks and will update on the status of toiletries IF they do switch to large containers. Frankly, I find it unlikely they will.
SPN Lifer and svo242 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I much prefer the individual-sized toiletry containers. See also

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels (January 2018)

Bad incident related to removal of single use toiletries (October 2019)

Yet looking on the bright side, as I am wont to do, since the introduction of Marriott Bonv°y bulk toiletry dispensers several years ago, my wife and I have not had to spend a penny elsewhere for shampoo or conditioner. (!)

Thank you, Marriott.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
slightly tangential, but a big “thumbs down” to the branding/design team of twits at North 39

I fully understand having the brand name in large type on the container, and the individual product in smaller type, but who in their right mind approved the same color scheme for all three products (shampoo, conditioner, and hand and body wash L-R respectively)?

moreover, why did they choose a font color with such low contrast from the container background?

Residence Inn La Quinta (Palm Springs / Indio CA)
greg99 and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I saw different size/color bottles at a springhill suites recently... however the body wash was empty so made that a moot point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Single use available at the Marriott Waikiki recently. I am on the shelf about the single use vs mounted because for me, I want to be certain the mounted units are absolutely tamper proof, and hygienic standards are followed, i.e. the large bottles are replaced, not refilled. I would take a wall mounted collection of higher-end product over cheap crap in single use bottles.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jrl767
slightly tangential, but a big “thumbs down” to the branding/design team of twits at North 39

I fully understand having the brand name in large type on the container, and the individual product in smaller type, but who in their right mind approved the same color scheme for all three products (shampoo, conditioner, and hand and body wash L-R respectively)?

moreover, why did they choose a font color with such low contrast from the container background?

And leads to things such as I had this week, with 2 shampoo bottles and no body wash. Not discovered until I was in the shower in the morning.

So now I will add a check of these to my standard "make sure I don't have all decaf coffee" check when I arrive in the room.
greg99 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jrl767

But they're so hip, stylish, and woke.

Can someone tell me how "NØRTH" is pronounced?

bonvØY!
greg99, KRSW and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tanic
But they're so hip, stylish, and woke.

Can someone tell me how "NØRTH" is pronounced?

bonvØY!
According to the trademark filing by Marriott, it is pronounced "north". Seemingly an in house creation....
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
According to the trademark filing by Marriott, it is pronounced "north". Seemingly an in house creation....
Maybe instead of playing games with the obvious silly names, the dime-store degreed marketing geniuses could use red font color so those of us without uncorrected 20/20 vision could actually read what bottle is for what purpose. Even with the closeup photo on my computer screen and with my glasses on I had to squint to see which was which.
greg99, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Maybe instead of playing games with the obvious silly names, the dime-store degreed marketing geniuses could use red font color so those of us without uncorrected 20/20 vision could actually read what bottle is for what purpose. Even with the closeup photo on my computer screen and with my glasses on I had to squint to see which was which.
​​​​​​That would be too easy for people, and not look hip enough....
greg99, SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.