FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

Antarius May 31, 2020 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32418761)
Hear, hear!

I am beginning to wonder if the most enthusiastic defender of these bulk dispensers, on putative environmental grounds, has ever stayed at lower-end properties in humid climates.

Although I have been a life member of the Sierra Club for almost four decades, such mold and germs are not the creatures and habitat we are striving to preserve.

I have. And lower end properties in SE Asia as well, where is it humid beyond belief. And I've seen mold in bathrooms at low end, high end and everything in between too. And this was before dispensers. Dispensers are a negligible factor in this discussion. It isn't as though the world was mold free and suddenly the onset of dispensers caused a mold epidemic.

I'm wondering what levels of mental gymnastics the ardent anti-dispenser crowd are willing to go to to link the world's problems to dispensers. Did dispensers shoot JFK too?

Again, I'm not syaing everyone needs to love dispensers. I'm just pointing out that there is no evidence whatsoever that they have negative side effects health-wise.

SPN Lifer May 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32418832)
I'm wondering what levels of mental gymnastics the ardent anti-dispenser crowd are willing to go to to link the world's problems to dispensers. Did dispensers shoot JFK too?

I'm wondering what levels of mental gymnastics the ardent pro-dispenser crowd are willing to go to to link the world's problems to single-use toiletry bottles. Did dispensers solve global warming and end the pandemic, too?

Ultimately, this is an issue of customer preferences, and the relationship of those preferences with the Marriott cost-benefit analysis. No more, no less.

Bonv °y!

JackE May 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32418832)
It isn't as though the world was mold free and suddenly the onset of dispensers caused a mold epidemic.

It's also true that pollution did not suddenly begin with the onset of personal-size toiletries.

Antarius May 31, 2020 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32418953)
I'm wondering what levels of mental gymnastics the ardent pro-dispenser crowd are willing to go to to link the world's problems to single-use toiletry bottles. Did dispensers solve global warming and end the pandemic, too?

Ultimately, this is an issue of customer preferences, and the relationship of those preferences with the Marriott cost-benefit analysis. No more, no less.

Bonv °y!

I'm sorry that experiments and math are causing you unhappiness. Why not just settle for saying you don't like it because you don't instead of throwing around crazy strawman arguments and pseudo science?

​​​​​Nothing more really to say. Take it up with Marriott corporate. Because the change has already happened, and you're on the wrong side of it.

Antarius May 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 32418993)
It's also true that pollution did not suddenly begin with the onset of personal-size toiletries.

Who said it did? I guess since pollution didn't start with dumping nuclear waste in the ocean, we should continue.

​​​This is a stream of stupid strawman arguments. :rolleyes:

​​​​​

cmd320 May 31, 2020 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32419026)
Who said it did? I guess since pollution didn't start with dumping nuclear waste in the ocean, we should continue.

​​​This is a stream of stupid strawman arguments. :rolleyes:

​​​​​

That actually is exactly the point. There are far bigger problems than hotels offering guests proper amenities.

cfabar1 May 31, 2020 7:39 pm

They need to bring back single-use toiletries. If they are concerned about the ecological impact, they can use glass bottles.

Time to bring them back! I think it would also be fine to use sizes that last more like 4-5 days instead of 1-2, but I expect access to my own toiletries, and not have to share used toiletry containers that might be soiled with other people manipulating them. Also the wall-mounted shower gels look incredibly cheap and I suspect they can be tampered with as well.

This experiment has FAILED, time to bring back the greatness of the single-use toiletry, especially in this time of pandemic - the only person touching my toiletries should be my myself, my maid, or my wife - and in that order! Ideally they should come pre-wrapped as a package so the maid staff don't even have to touch them during the pandemic, I can remove the plastic bag and know all of them are okay.

SPN Lifer May 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32418953)

Bonv °y!

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32419022)
I'm sorry that experiments and math are causing you unhappiness. Why not just settle for saying you don't like it because you don't instead of throwing around crazy strawman arguments and pseudo science?

​​​​​Nothing more really to say. Take it up with Marriott corporate. Because the change has already happened, and you're on the wrong side of it.

Having earned a Bachelor of Science in Physical Science from the U.S. Naval Academy, the experiments and pseudo-science arguments are causing me great amusement. Thanks, FlyerTalk!

Once again, the central issue about customer preferences and cost-benefit analyses has been studiously passed over.

The fact that high-end properties continue to utilize single-use toiletry bottles clearly shows where customer preferences lie.

Whether Marriott ultimately determines that the loss in customer goodwill and revenue is outweighed by any cost savings from the filthy dispensers, especially in light of changed market conditions, remains to be seen.

Onward and upward! Bonv°y!

Antarius May 31, 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 32419230)
They need to bring back single-use toiletries. If they are concerned about the ecological impact, they can use glass bottles.

Time to bring them back! I think it would also be fine to use sizes that last more like 4-5 days instead of 1-2, but I expect access to my own toiletries, and not have to share used toiletry containers that might be soiled with other people manipulating them. Also the wall-mounted shower gels look incredibly cheap and I suspect they can be tampered with as well.

This experiment has FAILED, time to bring back the greatness of the single-use toiletry, especially in this time of pandemic - the only person touching my toiletries should be my myself, my maid, or my wife - and in that order! Ideally they should come pre-wrapped as a package so the maid staff don't even have to touch them during the pandemic, I can remove the plastic bag and know all of them are okay.

Hasn't failed since it is still in place. And there's no evidence anywhere that this is a problem.

Its like twitter here with the sweeping statements. MAKE MARRIOTT GREAT AGAIN!
​​​​​​

Antarius May 31, 2020 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32419233)
Once again, the central issue about customer preferences and cost-benefit analyses has been studiously passed over.

Nope. Its been covered. These are not mutually exclusive things. Read up, I'm not going to repeat it.

Onward and upward! Bonv°y!

Amen. Things are rolling along.
​​​​​​

CPH-Flyer May 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 32419230)

The concept of using refillable glass/ceramic/metal/plastic containers that could be taken away from time to time to be sent through the industrial dishwashers that the hotels probably have plenty off already is not a bad one. Though I am not sure I would appreciate having 40mL (or any size really) glass containers to use in the shower. To big a risk of it dropping and breaking on the tiles. I am actually quite sure I would object to glass as a material for the bath amenities.

Antarius May 31, 2020 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32419264)
The concept of using refillable glass/ceramic/metal/plastic containers that could be taken away from time to time to be sent through the industrial dishwashers that the hotels probably have plenty off already is not a bad one. Though I am not sure I would appreciate having 40mL (or any size really) glass containers to use in the shower. To big a risk of it dropping and breaking on the tiles. I am actually quite sure I would object to glass as a material for the bath amenities.

And what's the guarantee that the glass is sanitized?

SPN Lifer May 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32419233)
The fact that high-end properties continue to utilize single-use toiletry bottles clearly shows where customer preferences lie.

Whether Marriott ultimately determines that the loss in customer goodwill and revenue is outweighed by any cost savings from the filthy dispensers, especially in light of changed market conditions, remains to be seen.​​

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32419259)
Nope. Its been covered. These are not mutually exclusive things. Read up, I'm not going to repeat it.​​​​​​

It is precisely because of the changed world health circumstances, and resulting new guest preferences, that this decision bears re-examination.

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32419256)
Hasn't failed since it is still in place. And there's no evidence anywhere that this is a problem.
​​​​​​

The ultimate in ipse dixit arguments.

CPH-Flyer May 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32419276)
And what's the guarantee that the glass is sanitized?

None. As I don't inspect their actual cleaning execution, similarly I don't with any other part of their cleaning execution. If the room looks nice and clean, I assume it is. Generally, I trust what they do, unless it is visibly not so. I also don't mistrust the washing of the plates in the restaurant, which to be honest some are probably skimping on as well.

It was just a thought for how it is possible to run the flow. Generally, you don't find me in the group that is worried about the bigger containers.
​​​​​​

Antarius May 31, 2020 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32419283)
None. As I don't inspect their actual cleaning execution, similarly I don't with any other part of their cleaning execution. If the room looks nice and clean, I assume it is. Generally, I trust what they do, unless it is visibly not so. I also don't mistrust the washing of the plates in the restaurant, which to be honest some are probably skimping on as well.

It was just a thought for how it is possible to run the flow. Generally, you don't find me in the group that is worried about the bigger containers.
​​​​​​

I agree. I was appending to your post that glass has flaws, safety as mentioned and like anything else, no guarantees of cleanliness.

​​​​​Heck, there's no guarantee that the minis were replaced or aren't contaminated.

I just don't see the issue. There are so many holes in the danger theory and the alternatives presented.