Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Old Nov 14, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
And bedsheets, pillows etc. Not to mention, Remote control, glassware, phone, pens...

Sounds like a need for an inflatable hermetic sealed bubble.
Linens are changed after each guest and again, I don't tend to rub the remote control, pen, or phone all over my body. That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
This is massively OT, but the skin is actually a highly effective barrier against the outside world. It's literally what it was designed to do Short of nerve toxins and the obvious acids, there's not a lot which is going to impact your skin. Orifices in general are a lot more of a concern.
JBord likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Marriot Rewards Lifetime Platinum/2020 Titanium
This thread continues to live on and each page adds to my conviction that I am not very paranoid.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Linens are changed after each guest and again, I don't tend to rub the remote control, pen, or phone all over my body. That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.
But you're still making assumptions that the linens were in fact changed between stays perfectly and everything, including sham pillows etc. Are sanitized. As with everything else.

It is certainly possible that someone opens the dispenser and contaminates it. It is also possible that the room service guy has a cold and sneezes on your tray or worse, is disgruntled and contaminates your food! The probability is near zero for all.
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote ....
Not a bad idea. I often use the hot towel provided on boarding to wipe down the area surrounding my seat on a flight.

... and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.
Why do you think that these are any cleaner?
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
But you're still making assumptions that the linens were in fact changed between stays perfectly and everything, including sham pillows etc. Are sanitized. As with everything else.

It is certainly possible that someone opens the dispenser and contaminates it. It is also possible that the room service guy has a cold and sneezes on your tray or worse, is disgruntled and contaminates your food! The probability is near zero for all.
Yes, I assume and expect that the linens are changed between stays. Throw pillows no, but I immediately remove those from the bed and toss them in the corner at the start of a stay.

I'll take my chances with the employee wheeling my food around the hotel. Guests in the room behind closed doors are another story.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Why do you think that these are any cleaner?
Glassware from the bar/restaurant goes through a dishwasher. I don't know that all glassware from the room does, in fact I believe they're washed by hand many times.
Old Nov 14, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
I would just wash those in room glassware before use.

And for the kettle, just discard first boiled water there.
(obviously if the kettle shows rust marks etc on the heating element I wont use them. Will ask the hotel to provide another one if I desperately need them)
Old Nov 14, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MB Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
I wash out any cups/glasses before use with boiling water from the kettle.
Old Nov 16, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
(These are all things I've saw or heard with my own eyes and ears, not simply hearsay)

1) House-Keeping simply "wipe clean" used glass and cups and put them right back into the drawers (at a Sheraton I was staying at)

2) House-Keeping talking to each other saying "don't change the linens and others, we're late, just forget it, the next guest won't know it anyway" (at a Le Meridien I was staying at)

So, I am suspect now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: