FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

cmd320 Nov 14, 19 8:39 am


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31735705)
And bedsheets, pillows etc. Not to mention, Remote control, glassware, phone, pens...

Sounds like a need for an inflatable hermetic sealed bubble.

Linens are changed after each guest and again, I don't tend to rub the remote control, pen, or phone all over my body. That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.

EuropeanPete Nov 14, 19 8:45 am

This is massively OT, but the skin is actually a highly effective barrier against the outside world. It's literally what it was designed to do :) Short of nerve toxins and the obvious acids, there's not a lot which is going to impact your skin. Orifices in general are a lot more of a concern.

slpybear Nov 14, 19 8:51 am

This thread continues to live on and each page adds to my conviction that I am not very paranoid.

Antarius Nov 14, 19 8:54 am


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31736195)
Linens are changed after each guest and again, I don't tend to rub the remote control, pen, or phone all over my body. That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.

But you're still making assumptions that the linens were in fact changed between stays perfectly and everything, including sham pillows etc. Are sanitized. As with everything else.

It is certainly possible that someone opens the dispenser and contaminates it. It is also possible that the room service guy has a cold and sneezes on your tray or worse, is disgruntled and contaminates your food! The probability is near zero for all.

Dr. HFH Nov 14, 19 9:03 am


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31736195)
That said, I will usually take a Clorox wipe to the remote ....

Not a bad idea. I often use the hot towel provided on boarding to wipe down the area surrounding my seat on a flight.


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31736195)
... and I do not use the glassware from the room. I'll usually keep one from the room service tray or grab a glass or two from the bar.

Why do you think that these are any cleaner?

cmd320 Nov 14, 19 11:31 am


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31736256)
But you're still making assumptions that the linens were in fact changed between stays perfectly and everything, including sham pillows etc. Are sanitized. As with everything else.

It is certainly possible that someone opens the dispenser and contaminates it. It is also possible that the room service guy has a cold and sneezes on your tray or worse, is disgruntled and contaminates your food! The probability is near zero for all.

Yes, I assume and expect that the linens are changed between stays. Throw pillows no, but I immediately remove those from the bed and toss them in the corner at the start of a stay.

I'll take my chances with the employee wheeling my food around the hotel. Guests in the room behind closed doors are another story.


Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31736306)
Why do you think that these are any cleaner?

Glassware from the bar/restaurant goes through a dishwasher. I don't know that all glassware from the room does, in fact I believe they're washed by hand many times.

kaizen7 Nov 14, 19 12:11 pm

I would just wash those in room glassware before use.

And for the kettle, just discard first boiled water there.
(obviously if the kettle shows rust marks etc on the heating element I wont use them. Will ask the hotel to provide another one if I desperately need them)

MaxFlyer Nov 14, 19 1:15 pm

I wash out any cups/glasses before use with boiling water from the kettle.

Cathay Dragon 666 Nov 16, 19 10:10 pm

(These are all things I've saw or heard with my own eyes and ears, not simply hearsay)

1) House-Keeping simply "wipe clean" used glass and cups and put them right back into the drawers (at a Sheraton I was staying at)

2) House-Keeping talking to each other saying "don't change the linens and others, we're late, just forget it, the next guest won't know it anyway" (at a Le Meridien I was staying at)

So, I am suspect now.

jrich7970 May 26, 20 4:53 pm

Hate to drag this thread back into the light, but, what do any of you think of the likelihood of the return of individual personal items, given the virus situation?

I have read a few articles, not specifically mentioning any hotel chains, that single-use stuff might come back (assuming they left).

SPN Lifer May 26, 20 5:10 pm

I highly value the pens and notepads. Much more so than the shampoo. They serve as permanent mementos of my travels. Especially the pens.

storewanderer May 26, 20 7:18 pm


Originally Posted by jrich7970 (Post 32405896)
Hate to drag this thread back into the light, but, what do any of you think of the likelihood of the return of individual personal items, given the virus situation?

I have read a few articles, not specifically mentioning any hotel chains, that single-use stuff might come back (assuming they left).

I am sure this would be more "on the surface" if more people were traveling. Maybe by the time more people are traveling again, the virus won't be such a concern so the plastic police can continue to feel as though they have accomplished something with their small single use shampoo ban, despite the fact that their larger thicker plastic containers with a heavy plastic spout actually use more plastic than an equal product storing amount of the little single use containers used.

rylan May 26, 20 7:25 pm

I for one would enjoy to see those bulky and nasty community bottles go away and the individual/travel size ones come back. Maybe the plastic police will be busy going after plastic shopping bags and water bottles again, since those all made a huge resurgence since reusable bags aren't allowed in many stores currently.

Jon Maiman May 27, 20 6:14 am

I would also like to see the individual toiletry bottles come back. The bulk ones are just another surface area prone to mold, viruses, etc. unless cleaned very thoroughly on a regular basis. I have my doubts that housekeeping will clean them properly. I'd be fine with them becoming an item that was handed out at check in upon request to help cut down on waste. It would be easy for the desk to have little kits with shampoo, conditioner, and bars of soap ready to dispense. Just a thought...

--Jon

JackE May 27, 20 6:26 pm


Originally Posted by Jon Maiman (Post 32407018)
I would also like to see the individual toiletry bottles come back. The bulk ones are just another surface area prone to mold, viruses, etc. unless cleaned very thoroughly on a regular basis. I have my doubts that housekeeping will clean them properly. I'd be fine with them becoming an item that was handed out at check in upon request to help cut down on waste. It would be easy for the desk to have little kits with shampoo, conditioner, and bars of soap ready to dispense. Just a thought...

--Jon

The savings on bulk toiletries is a pittance compared to the risk to housekeeping, not to mention the added cost of cleaning those unloved bulk containers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:18 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.