FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

flyerCO Oct 21, 19 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 31652070)
I agree. But at least with room service, they were eliminating something that had very little demand, especially at it's price point. A very low percentage of people want room service (in it's current state), but I'd guess a very high percentage would prefer to have a more hygenic, nearly tamper-proof, way to clean themselves.

I occasionally tell the story of my former company (about 35k employees at the time) announcing that they'd be eliminating styrofoam coffee cups and that each employee would have to bring their own cup from home. There was a whole narrative about being green. The problem is, I knew that the woman behind the move had been hired specifically to comb through the company for wasted spend. She was looking at every bill, from telephone service to styrofoam cups. Maybe they saved the environment, but I still remember the coffee cups stacked up in the break room sinks.

My whole issue with these containers is hygenics and safety. They can easily be tampered with and unlike a single bottle, will effect many people. Also I've seen the insides of these containers. They're petri dishes. After couple of weeks, mold, bacteria, etc have all become very visible. Unless cleaned often they're nasty.

cmcc Oct 21, 19 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 31652070)
I agree. But at least with room service, they were eliminating something that had very little demand, especially at it's price point. A very low percentage of people want room service (in it's current state), but I'd guess a very high percentage would prefer to have a more hygenic, nearly tamper-proof, way to clean themselves.

I occasionally tell the story of my former company (about 35k employees at the time) announcing that they'd be eliminating styrofoam coffee cups and that each employee would have to bring their own cup from home. There was a whole narrative about being green. The problem is, I knew that the woman behind the move had been hired specifically to comb through the company for wasted spend. She was looking at every bill, from telephone service to styrofoam cups. Maybe they saved the environment, but I still remember the coffee cups stacked up in the break room sinks.

I'd like to know how many styrofoam cups it took to pay her salary.

It would be honest for companies to just say we're doing this to cut costs, instead of the dishonesty of saying it is to save the world. But from the companies viewpoint, there are enough believers in the save the world angle it makes it a lot easier to sell.

JBord Oct 21, 19 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 31652208)
I'd like to know how many styrofoam cups it took to pay her salary.

It would be honest for companies to just say we're doing this to cut costs, instead of the dishonesty of saying it is to save the world. But from the companies viewpoint, there are enough believers in the save the world angle it makes it a lot easier to sell.

Lol...she actually paid for her salary several times over after just about 6 months. It was a company that grew fast and furiously and had lots of low-hanging fruit, which simply required someone to focus on cost and lead some contract re-negotiations in several instances.

I don't know if the "green" story was hers, but I doubt it was. I found her to be honest and straight-forward. But the company needed a reason to tell people they were making coffee a hassle. Of course, a year or two later they also rented out space in several of their wholly-owned larger buildings to Starbucks :).

CPH-Flyer Nov 13, 19 1:52 am

Hyatt is now joining the good cause :D

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/single_use_plastic_reduction

Maybe we can copy and paste this thread to the Hyatt forum, the pro and con arguments seem to run the same.... :D

With IHG, Marriott and now Hyatt taking this step, I guess it is just a matter of time before Hilton and Accor are there as well. The option will soon only bring your own bottles, if you are not happy the with the new bigger ones.

I have yet to see it in action beyond select service brands though.

Antarius Nov 13, 19 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31731541)
Hyatt is now joining the good cause :D

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/single_use_plastic_reduction

Maybe we can copy and paste this thread to the Hyatt forum, the pro and con arguments seem to run the same.... :D

With IHG, Marriott and now Hyatt taking this step, I guess it is just a matter of time before Hilton and Accor are there as well. The option will soon only bring your own bottles, if you are not happy the with the new bigger ones.

I have yet to see it in action beyond select service brands though.

I'm at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio and they have the large bottles in the bathroom. Hyatt Centric Hong Kong Victoria Harbor too.

cmd320 Nov 13, 19 8:01 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31731541)
The option will soon only bring your own bottles, if you are not happy the with the new bigger ones.

I request new large ones be delivered to my room upon arrival and watch them be put in. The hotel can do what they want with the ones they replace.

Dr. HFH Nov 13, 19 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31732270)
I request new large ones be delivered to my room upon arrival and watch them be put in.

Every time? Are you equally concerned and careful about other possible sources of contamination or tampering/sabotage?

cmd320 Nov 13, 19 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31732312)
Every time? Are you equally concerned and careful about other possible sources of contamination or tampering/sabotage?

Iíve thus far only stayed at three hotels with this system, all select service. I only request it when I first enter a new room, not for subsequent nights. I donít mind reusing my own bottles.

Anything I cover my body in, yes.

Dr. HFH Nov 13, 19 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31732567)
Anything I cover my body in, yes.

How about your hands, -- holding doorknobs, flushing toilets, etc.?

Herb687 Nov 13, 19 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 31732270)
I request new large ones be delivered to my room upon arrival and watch them be put in. The hotel can do what they want with the ones they replace.

I might have to start doing this.

cmd320 Nov 13, 19 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31734123)

Hands are a bit different. I wash my hands routinely. I donít wash my body as often. I also donít rub the doorknobs or toilet handles all over my face and in my hair. Finally, nothing can be disguised on these hard surfaces as it can be in a liquid.

Antarius Nov 14, 19 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31734123)

And bedsheets, pillows etc. Not to mention, Remote control, glassware, phone, pens...

Sounds like a need for an inflatable hermetic sealed bubble.

Antarius Nov 14, 19 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 31734311)
I might have to start doing this.

I'm really unsure why. I'm yet to hear a case of this actually being a problem anywhere ever. So it seems like a solution in desperate search of a problem.

Lounge showers and some hotels have had this for decades and there is no epidemic of contamination.

EuropeanPete Nov 14, 19 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31735713)
I'm really unsure why. I'm yet to hear a case of this actually being a problem anywhere ever. So it seems like a solution in desperate search of a problem.

Lounge showers and some hotels have had this for decades and there is no epidemic of contamination.

Also, I'm not a criminal mastermind, but if I wanted to mess around with fluids I'd put something in the shower head rather than the shampoo... (though I still think doorhandle is the most foolproof provided you have the right viscosity).

JBord Nov 14, 19 7:22 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31735814)
Also, I'm not a criminal mastermind, but if I wanted to mess around with fluids I'd put something in the shower head rather than the shampoo... (though I still think doorhandle is the most foolproof provided you have the right viscosity).

Stop thinking like a criminal mastermind and start thinking like a college basketball, soccer, football (etc.) player on a team trip with 2-4 people in a room.

As a former college athlete, I can say with 100% certainty that some disgusting "pranks" are played quite often. I'm not so concerned with it that I'll bring my own kit, but I'd be more worried about college kids and truly unbalanced individuals rather than masterminds.