Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points, US (unsure, other areas) (Dec 2020)
Moxy
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Courtyard (Dec 2020)
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St. Regis
Westin (Dec 2020)
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So far in the hotels I have been to with wall mounted dispensers, the body lotion has still been small bottles. Though with the announcement, that may change.
I have encountered wall-mounted body lotion dispensers in some Scandinavian hotels, and it’s not new to this year in that regard.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So far in the hotels I have been to with wall mounted dispensers, the body lotion has still been small bottles. Though with the announcement, that may change.
Same here. Just stayed at couple Four Points. Wall mounted in shower, but body lotion in bottle and small bar of soap at sink.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have encountered wall-mounted body lotion dispensers in some Scandinavian hotels, and it’s not new to this year in that regard.
I have yet to see wall mounted dispensers in Scandinavia. Surprisingly, as I would think we Scandis to be at the front of these waves.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

I have yet to see wall mounted dispensers in Scandinavia. Surprisingly, as I would think we Scandis to be at the front of these waves.
Some of the Nordic Choice Clarion and Clarion Collection hotels have had the (hand/body) lotion in wall-mounted bottles going on for perhaps as long as nearly two years. It’s been most commonly placed right next to the wall-mounted dispensers for the soap/hand-wash closest to the sinks. And this is in the regular rooms and in the suites. I first noticed this in some of my booked rooms/suites at hotels in Stockholm, including the suites I was getting for mini-meetings. The Sheraton Stockholm and most of the other Marriott program hotels around the city didn’t seem to be there yet, especially when it came to the lotion.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
RI in La Jolla, wall-mounted dispensers for body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. Bar soap and lotion at sinks.

(My issue with the wall mounts, which also occur in airport lounges, is that you can't immediately tell what's going to be "missing." Two data points: two days ago at an airport lounge, got in the shower only to find that the body wash container was empty. Today, got in the hotel shower only to find that the conditioner container had a defective pump. With the small bottles, I could easily scan to see if any components weren't available and rectify with staff. Now with these set-ups, I don't know until it's too late.)
GUWonder and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Some of the Nordic Choice Clarion and Clarion Collection hotels have had the (hand/body) lotion in wall-mounted bottles going on for perhaps as long as nearly two years. It’s been most commonly placed right next to the wall-mounted dispensers for the soap/hand-wash closest to the sinks. And this is in the regular rooms and in the suites. I first noticed this in some of my booked rooms/suites at hotels in Stockholm, including the suites I was getting for mini-meetings. The Sheraton Stockholm and most of the other Marriott program hotels around the city didn’t seem to be there yet, especially when it came to the lotion.
I have not stayed in a Clarion in ages. Most Marriott and Radisson. And a few local independent.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JY1024
RI in La Jolla, wall-mounted dispensers for body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. Bar soap and lotion at sinks.

(My issue with the wall mounts, which also occur in airport lounges, is that you can't immediately tell what's going to be "missing." Two data points: two days ago at an airport lounge, got in the shower only to find that the body wash container was empty. Today, got in the hotel shower only to find that the conditioner container had a defective pump. With the small bottles, I could easily scan to see if any components weren't available and rectify with staff. Now with these set-ups, I don't know until it's too late.)
Those kind of issues have been a recurring problem that I’ve encountered when I’ve been at hotels that transitioned to wall-mounted dispensers, and it’s become a more frequent problem in even higher end hotel rooms than it was early on after these hotels/rooms transitioned. IME, the airline lounge showers are less of a problem than the hotel bathrooms when it comes to empty toiletry containers and when it comes to broken mounts/fasteners, but the airline lounge showers seem worse when it comes to defective pump set-up.

I have not stayed in a Clarion in ages. Most Marriott and Radisson. And a few local independent.
The closest hotel to CPH airport is a Clarion (formerly the Hilton CPH), and it has had some wall-mounted big lotion bottles in some bathrooms at least as early as January 2018 or Q4 2017. This was considered by some to be one of the service downgrades after the hotel left Hilton and became a Clarion; but I saw it as sort of an improvement because I didn’t find the main Hilton toiletries in the room to be any better, and because I preferred to pump out lotion in a way rather than having to deal with a lotion bottle cap to remove with my fingers to access the lotion.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 20, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
No apology wanted or needed, but I'll accept it nonetheless.

For starters:

Food waste.
Containers/packaging material that provides cash refund/rebate.
Soft plastic.
Hard plastic.
Newspapers and other such papers.
Magazines/coated paper.
Clear glass.
Colored glass.
Metal.
Textile.
Wood.
Batteries.
Bulbs.
Electronics.
Garden waste.

Anyone waiting for Marriott hotels to eliminate "single-use" toilet paper and tell people to just use water instead to clean themselves after relieving their bowels and bladder, all as part of "saving the world" in the financial interest of Marriott hotels? Less toilet paper use would be good for the environment, as paper manufacture is a massive chemical user, a massive pollution-making process and increases demand to cut trees (among other things) and generally involves a lot of transport of wood by fossil-fuel-using vehicles (trains and trucks among others).

So who here is willing to welcome Marriott eliminating "single-use" toilet paper in the hotel bathrooms on the same basis as eliminating "single-use" toiletries in the hotel bathrooms?

Nice satire, but Penn and Teller are better:
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmcc
Nice satire, but Penn and Teller are better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcdNaajKExs
My post wasn’t really satire. For my listed categories of sorted waste, it only requires 3-4 bins, as the bins can have multiple compartments within them or attached to them.

And about toilet paper being eliminated in the hotel bathrooms, there is a long history of humans getting by without toilet paper. Eliminating toilet paper at the hotels is a way to save “Mother Earth”, perhaps it could be more so of a way to save “Mother Earth” than even the elimination of single-use toiletries in plastic bottles. That said, I doubt that most of the fans of wall-mounted toiletries are going to be big fans of banning toilet paper, but then I have to wonder where their commitment is.
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 21, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:29 am

My post wasn’t really satire. For my listed categories of sorted waste, it only requires 3-4 bins, as the bins can have multiple compartments within them or attached to them.

And about toilet paper being eliminated in the hotel bathrooms, there is a long history of humans getting by without toilet paper. Eliminating toilet paper at the hotels is a way to save “Mother Earth”, perhaps it could be more so of a way to save “Mother Earth” than even the elimination of single-use toiletries in plastic bottles. That said, I doubt that most of the fans of wall-mounted toiletries are going to be big fans of banning toilet paper, but then I have to wonder where their commitment is.
Keeping a straight face - well played!

There really are fools who believe this stuff ("lightly used toilet paper" from P&T) and they deserve the ridicule they get.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I have relatives that are in Hotel Management, he laughs at the idea of limiting toiletry is saving mother earth. There are things hotels does in one day that is harmful to the planet than a year's worth of plastic bottled toiletry. He said it's purely a gimmick to cut expenses and increase revenue and the best way to masquerade it (and actually get gullible guests to applaud the action) is label it "it's for the environment people!"
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I have relatives that are in Hotel Management, he laughs at the idea of limiting toiletry is saving mother earth. There are things hotels does in one day that is harmful to the planet than a year's worth of plastic bottled toiletry. He said it's purely a gimmick to cut expenses and increase revenue and the best way to masquerade it (and actually get gullible guests to applaud the action) is label it "it's for the environment people!"
This is it 100%. People get fooled into corporate marketing so easily, especially if it's something about corporate social responsibility.
kennycrudup and Twickenham like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I think this may be a manifestation of the "Educated Idiot" syndrome, where very bright people can be extremely gullible. I forget who it was, some magician, but not P&T, said their ideal audience would be a room of Nobel winners because smart people are so easy to fool. The hotel industry does a pretty good job of it with their save the world virtue signaling, but companies like Whole Foods Market really have it down when they add organic and GMO hysteria to the mix.
kennycrudup and Twickenham like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, it is clear to most reasonable people that this change is to save the hotel money and get some cheap PR out of it. Being 'green' is at the bottom of the list for why hotels are going this unfortunate route of the unhygienic community use bottles.

Same as the whole thing where they killed real room service in many hotels and went to that cheap 'fresh bites' or whatever its called now. That was to save money and reduce overhead. If they wanted to be 'green' than they wouldn't stick all of the food in plastic containers with plastic utensils in bags.
kennycrudup, Twickenham and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Yes, it is clear to most reasonable people that this change is to save the hotel money and get some cheap PR out of it. Being 'green' is at the bottom of the list for why hotels are going this unfortunate route of the unhygienic community use bottles.

Same as the whole thing where they killed real room service in many hotels and went to that cheap 'fresh bites' or whatever its called now. That was to save money and reduce overhead. If they wanted to be 'green' than they wouldn't stick all of the food in plastic containers with plastic utensils in bags.
I agree. But at least with room service, they were eliminating something that had very little demand, especially at it's price point. A very low percentage of people want room service (in it's current state), but I'd guess a very high percentage would prefer to have a more hygenic, nearly tamper-proof, way to clean themselves.

I occasionally tell the story of my former company (about 35k employees at the time) announcing that they'd be eliminating styrofoam coffee cups and that each employee would have to bring their own cup from home. There was a whole narrative about being green. The problem is, I knew that the woman behind the move had been hired specifically to comb through the company for wasted spend. She was looking at every bill, from telephone service to styrofoam cups. Maybe they saved the environment, but I still remember the coffee cups stacked up in the break room sinks.
GUWonder and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.