FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

kcaluwae Oct 11, 19 6:08 pm

The article hints that Marriott has removed all plastic straws in all of its hotels. Yet, I recently stayed in 2 Fairfields and there are plastic straws in the lobby, at the bfast and in the rooms.
These are the only 2 mid-tier Marriott stays I did recently, maybe I just picked two hotels that still need to adapt to the new guidelines, but I would say that it's misleading to say that they got rid of all plastic straws.

I applaud measures that benefit the climate but I wonder if Marriott is strictly following up on them or just sending out press releases that sound good.

jrich7970 Oct 11, 19 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kcaluwae (Post 31619009)
The article hints that Marriott has removed all plastic straws in all of its hotels. Yet, I recently stayed in 2 Fairfields and there are plastic straws in the lobby, at the bfast and in the rooms.
These are the only 2 mid-tier Marriott stays I did recently, maybe I just picked two hotels that still need to adapt to the new guidelines, but I would say that it's misleading to say that they got rid of all plastic straws.

I applaud measures that benefit the climate but I wonder if Marriott is strictly following up on them or just sending out press releases that sound good.

Every one I have stayed at for the last six months (maybe?) has had paper straws. But they've all been Marriotts, JWs, Renis. They might not have "trickled down" to mid-tier properties yet, or, maybe they just haven't gone through all the plastic ones yet (assuming they wouldn't toss out the ones they had already).

cmcc Oct 17, 19 8:20 pm

For an updated story on how recycling is a foolish waste of resources, go here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/o...recycling.html

Recycling is nothing more than virtue signaling.

Antarius Oct 17, 19 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 31640429)

Well, if the debate was should Marriott recycle or not, you're article would make sense to bring up.

Given this is about eliminating plastic use.... *shrug*

CPH-Flyer Oct 17, 19 11:46 pm

An opinion piece by someone who describes himself as a contrarian is probably not the most balanced and factual information to base a discussion on. :D

jbarm Oct 17, 19 11:51 pm

Current trip. 4 Points San Diego..
Wall mounted dispensers. Clean and worked well. Lotion separate small bottle.

Res Inn Wailea. Same as Above.

Marriott Wailea. Small bottles

Not bothered by either form factor.

Jb

cmcc Oct 18, 19 5:55 am

As Rush would say, that is the balance.

(regarding the NYT recycling story)

CPH-Flyer Oct 18, 19 6:45 am

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 31641387)
As Rush would say, that is the balance.

(regarding the NYT recycling story)

Rush has never aimed for balance....

Nor facts or real world for that matter :p

Out of my Element Oct 18, 19 7:27 am

Four year old story is updated? Hmmm

cmcc Oct 18, 19 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element (Post 31641611)
Four year old story is updated? Hmmm

Recycling is, and always has been, a complete waste of resources for the sake of virtue signaling elites.

It might be informative to read the NYT piece and comment thoughtfully. Iíll wait.

Antarius Oct 18, 19 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 31643688)
Recycling is, and always has been, a complete waste of resources for the sake of virtue signaling elites.

It might be informative to read the NYT piece and comment thoughtfully. Iíll wait.

And I'll post an equally off topic non-sequitor and expect you to read it too.

What, pray tell, does this thread have to do with the merits or drawbacks of recycling?

CPH-Flyer Oct 18, 19 11:11 pm

That's not what the article says though. While I don't agree with many of his points, he does point out that recycling in some areas makes a lot of sense.

The argument that we should not recycle as it might move jobs away from existing industries is absurd. Should we also have stayed with an abacus for calculations, as the switch to electronics have killed the abacus manufactures?

Out of my Element Oct 19, 19 5:35 am

It's the Times. If I've learned anything about them in the past 2 years, it's that I am certain they have an article complaining that the other side does it, too

cmcc Oct 19, 19 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31643826)
And I'll post an equally off topic non-sequitor and expect you to read it too.

What, pray tell, does this thread have to do with the merits or drawbacks of recycling?

A sampling of prior posts have discussed the assumed benefits of recycling, without being questioned as to their content. But you are correct, this thread concerns toiletries in single use packages. If, as some posts have suggested, this is about saving the world from plastics, then that is just as silly as recycling. Something like 90% of the come from a few rivers in Asia, whatever Marriott does or doesnít do is totally irrelevant.

CPH-Flyer Oct 19, 19 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 31646015)
A sampling of prior posts have discussed the assumed benefits of recycling, without being questioned as to their content. But you are correct, this thread concerns toiletries in single use packages. If, as some posts have suggested, this is about saving the world from plastics, then that is just as silly as recycling. Something like 90% of the come from a few rivers in Asia, whatever Marriott does or doesnít do is totally irrelevant.

Marriott has plenty of hotels that are in locations that means that if garbage is not managed well it could end up in those rivers, and the reason these rivers contribute so much to the plastic in the oceans is that garbage is generally not managed well around those rivers. In all likelihood, that 90% from those rivers contains Marriott plastics at the moment.