Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points, US (unsure, other areas) (Dec 2020)
Moxy
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Courtyard (Dec 2020)
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St. Regis
Westin (Dec 2020)
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Let us know how that works out for you.

As I have said, for years I saw those little bottles as wasteful and inefficient. My view had nothing to do with "virtue-signaling" (whatever that is), Celebrities, Royalty, Marriott marketing department, or private jets. Just the simple fact that there are more efficient, less wasteful, ways to deliver shampoo.
We agree. There are more efficient, less wasteful ways of delivering shampoo. But if that were all it was about then Marriott would have done it without fanfare or patting themselves on the back. Instead they issued a glowing press release about how wonderful they are and trotted out their CEO to be adored in fawning media interviews.

And they'll save a few bucks in the process. It's a social and financial win for them.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
We agree. There are more efficient, less wasteful ways of delivering shampoo. But if that were all it was about then Marriott would have done it without fanfare or patting themselves on the back. Instead they issued a glowing press release about how wonderful they are and trotted out their CEO to be adored in fawning media interviews.

And they'll save a few bucks in the process. It's a social and financial win for them.
A press release and some interviews. Seems like a small effort to explain a change to a decades old policy. It also did not have much pickup, I did not hear anything about it until I stumbled on this thread over a week after it happened. If this was a key part of some vast plot involving the royal family, private jets, and brain washing it seems to be a bit of a failure.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Marriott estimates that, when the transition is complete, it will prevent around 500 million small bottles, or 1.7 million pounds of plastic, from entering landfills every year. ^ That is hardly a drop in the bucket.

IHG and Hilton have started similar initiatives. This trend is not going away.
And how many large bottles will be replacing the small ones in landfills each year?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
And how many large bottles will be replacing the small ones in landfills each year?
Not landfills, the larger bottles are easier to recycle as they can be rinsed out.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-2020-n1047116

Naguib said most Marriott hotels will eliminate small bottles by July 1, 2020. Luxury brands will get rid of them by the end of 2020. Lower-priced brands will have dispensers or bottles that are tethered to the shower wall. Luxury brands will have untethered bottles. The bottles hold the equivalent of 10 to 12 small bottles, and all are tamper resistant.

The larger bottles will still be plastic, and Marriott still plans to replace them — not just refill them — when they run low. But Naguib said the larger bottles are easier to recycle than smaller ones.
​​​​​​​"Human nature is what it is and we resist change," he said. "But people understand that this is so much better."
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not landfills, the larger bottles are easier to recycle as they can be rinsed out.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-2020-n1047116
This assumes housekeeping staff are going to take the time to actually do this which I feel is going to be highly unlikely in the majority of cases. They're going to get tossed in the trash bag on the side of the housekeeping cart along with everything else and end up right in the same spot which would otherwise be occupied by a dozen small bottles.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Badenoch

So what? Why cant they get some credit for making a good decision? This is a win-win.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This assumes housekeeping staff are going to take the time to actually do this which I feel is going to be highly unlikely in the majority of cases. They're going to get tossed in the trash bag on the side of the housekeeping cart along with everything else and end up right in the same spot which would otherwise be occupied by a dozen small bottles.
Your post is an assumption. The more likely outcome is the policy outlined by Marriott will be followed, the bottles will be recycled, and there will be a reduction in waste.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your post is an assumption. The more likely outcome is the policy outlined by Marriott will be followed, the bottles will be recycled, and there will be a reduction in waste.
It's no more an assumption than assuming already overworked and underpaid staff are actually going to take the time to do this. What is outlined in Marriott policy and what actually happens at each individual hotel property are often very different things.
Lizie likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's no more an assumption than assuming already overworked and underpaid staff are actually going to take the time to do this. What is outlined in Marriott policy and what actually happens at each individual hotel property are often very different things.
They are placing an empty bottle in the right receptacle, not curing cancer.

If you find anything to support your theory of significant amounts going to landfill let us know. Should be simple, a weekend of dumpster diving at your local Springhill Suits should do it.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are placing an empty bottle in the right receptacle, not curing cancer.

If you find anything to support your theory of significant amounts going to landfill let us know. Should be simple, a weekend of dumpster diving at your local Springhill Suits should do it.
I honestly don't care one way or another. All I'm saying is that if they can't get the front desk staff to manage simple things like room upgrades or 4pm check out, I kind of doubt the housekeeping staff is going to take the time to sort through the refuse and clean it out before recycling.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Antarius
So what? Why cant they get some credit for making a good decision? This is a win-win.
Nothing wrong with it at all. It's altruism with a payoff. If it didn't help the bottom line however they'd probably still be putting little bottles in their rooms. If making the change cost them more it wouldn't happen regardless of the demands from the eco-glitterati.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
From having had lots of experience having hired staff/contractors to clean my residences, I can say that most paid cleaning staff seem way less comprehensive and accurate in recycling/sorting than when I would do it myself. And I’ve definitely noted a correlation between the recycling ending up in the general/burn waste and the socio-economic/demographic background of cleaning staff/contractors.
kennycrudup and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
From having had lots of experience having hired staff/contractors to clean my residences, I can say that most paid cleaning staff seem way less comprehensive and accurate in recycling/sorting than when I would do it myself. And I’ve definitely noted a correlation between the recycling ending up in the general/burn waste and the socio-economic/demographic background of cleaning staff/contractors.
It appears you are complaining that the poor people you hired to clean your homes are bad at putting stuff in the right can. I have had great success with the poor people I hire to clean my houses. Perhaps it is an upper management issue rather than a poor people issue?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Guess I've got to buy bar soap and carry it with me from now on. Not sure how bar soap is worse than large plastic bottles. Seems to me they can use small bar soap that is wrapped in recycled paper. And then it'd be the best solution for all (tamper evident) and no plastic large or small.
cmd320 and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
For anyone who is worried about landfills, etc., you can get yourselves up to speed with this:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/30/m...s-garbage.html
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.