Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points, US (unsure, other areas) (Dec 2020)
Moxy
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Courtyard (Dec 2020)
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St. Regis
Westin (Dec 2020)
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:35 am

I think this is a good idea but execution is key. In all of the different properties I've stayed at that do have the pump bottles they have been the refillable type and the bottles themselves are not sealed meaning anyone could open them and contaminate the contents. That and the fact that the bottles and pumper need to be cleaned by housekeeping after every check out leaves a lot of room for yuck!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I won't use stuff from the big dispenser bottles. I always bring my own toiletries to use if I don't like what the hotel supplies. Sometimes even high quality products are too strongly scented or too floral for my taste.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Ugh, I wish they'd at least keep some single-use bottles on hand at the front desk, like the disposable razors and toothbrushes. I really dislike the guise that they're doing it "for the environment" too, just admit you're saving costs and be upfront about it.
The reason can be and is twofold; it's easier to be environmentally proactive and sound when that also has the prospect of reducing costs.

There is no guise except for some's dislike of the change in the first place. It also would obviate the whole point to have single use bottles at the front desk.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Very happy they are doing so. And as far as single use toiletries go... a recent stay at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas introduced Mrs. Slpybear to "FIVE WITS" products. The shampoo especially was a big hit. Now we are online shopping for $28 8oz bottles of shampoo. *sigh*
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The reason can be and is twofold; it's easier to be environmentally proactive and sound when that also has the prospect of reducing costs.

There is no guise except for some's dislike of the change in the first place. It also would obviate the whole point to have single use bottles at the front desk.
It would not obviate the "whole point" any more than not removing bottles from premium brands does. As a whole, millions of pounds of landfill would still be eliminated. For it to obviate the point would require a majority of customers going down and requesting the bottles, and if that is the case then it shows a clear will by the customers - also a win.

Remember too that the disposable razors, combs, and toothbrushes are already single use plastic.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:53 am

They could have opted for glass instead of plastic at luxury brands, it's not as if we don't pay a lot.

I can see it now 'Glass toiletries starting with your second stay'
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:08 am

I think these dispensers are disgusting. I had too many friends that were in frats to trust any mass use product that people have unsupervised access to. I'll either start buying my own disposable bottles or just use the bar soap on my hair.
sdix, oc2005, closecover and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Dgosche
I think these dispensers are disgusting. I had too many friends that were in frats to trust any mass use product that people have unsupervised access to. I'll either start buying my own disposable bottles or just use the bar soap on my hair.
And that's how Marriott wins double savings - on the bulk rate of toiletries, and on the lower utilization. Well, until they get me in the room and I decide to go-to-town not that I'm not constrained by 1oz of product!

I've seen places with bulk bottles that have ways to reduce tampering to someone willfull, and hopefully staff will be trained that if they see those signs they report it instead of just rinse and/or top off the bottle. I'd feel more comfortable if they had numbered zip-ties on a bottle lock.

Another thing Marriott could do to convince us that it's good for the environment AND good for us, is improve the quality. How about some Shiseido or L'Occitaine? But they don't need to convince us.
Zeeb, jonisflying, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Bit of a joke tho...as a recent IHG stay can attest.
Yes the shampoo, conditioner and "body wash" were in a wall dispenser, but the skin cream and mouthwash were still single use bottles.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Sort of looking forward to this. I'm rarely in the same place two nights in a row and I keep a few of the shampoo and conditioner minis in my bag just in case.

I hope SpringHill keeps the Paul Mitchell stuff... it's my favorite Courtyard used to have it but have since switched to the tea tree nonsense. Anytime I'm at a Courtyard I dip into my personal stash.

-J.
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Ah yes. So there will be more days of joy when one is in the shower and realize the pump on the bottles are broken. Has happened 3 times already. The third time last week in Arizona.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I really dislike the guise that they're doing it "for the environment" too, just admit you're saving costs and be upfront about it.
I suspect this change is driven by legitimate environmental concerns, though cost savings are surely also being taken account.

Disposable plastics are a huge environmental problem.
TerryK, moondog, C17PSGR and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
And it's not like Marriotts ever have toiletries I'd want to take with me . . . .
I stayed at the Marriott Amsterdam Vondel Park a year or so ago, they had L'Occitane products in the room. Believe me I took every soap I could, they retail for like $8 each and they're fantastic.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
And it's not like Marriotts ever have toiletries I'd want to take with me . . . .
I honestly could care less about toiletries in the way so many others do...but my husband makes me ask for extra of the Remede products at ever St Regis at which I stay so I can bring them home to him. I must say I like them because they are perfect travel size containers to use at cheaper hotels, but my husband particularly likes the facial creams and moisturizer products. I assume those will remain and not be in dispensers, unlike the standard soap, shampoo, and conditioner products, but who knows at the luxury brands?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I suspect this change is driven by legitimate environmental concerns, though cost savings are surely also being taken account.

Disposable plastics are a huge environmental problem.
Completely disagree. Marriott couldn't care less about the environment, this is 100% a cost-cutting measure wrapped up in some environmental marketing hype to get people on board with it. A swath of 4 small bottles or 1 big bottle is still going to produce the same amount of plastic. If they were really concerned about the environment they would remove the plastic all together and use glass bottles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.