Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 2, 20, 11:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Wiki Link
What kind of bath amenities are currently offered by each brand:

List up information on the various hotel chains, so that people can see which ones has already moved to the new policy, and which are still based on the old.

Bulk dispensers (wall mounted or otherwise):
aLoft
element by Westin
Four Points US (not sure about other regions)
Moxy​​​​​​​
Residence Inn (Dec 2019)
​​​​​
Single use bottles:
Renaissance (Dec 2019)
Ritz Carlton
St Regis
​​​​​
Mixed, depends on the property:

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 19, 1:57 am

I live out of courtyards. Love the tea tree products and also use them at home. I don't understand all this fuss about mold and tampering. It's soap..and you're in the shower...
Redhead, seanp7, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
From the hotel side, this will not save them money but cost them more. Studies has shown with little bottles, most people don't ask for extras but conserves what they use.
It's funny you mention this -- I just thought the same thing this weekend whilst staying at a Courtyard. I noticed that I used quite a bit more soap/shampoo from the wall-mounted dispensers than I do from the small bottles. This is basic human behavior -- when we think something is in short supply, we conserve.

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Shower with lots of water not clean enough? What you been sleeping in, or eating and sweating????
Eh...have you had to use the new ultra-low-flow showerheads being installed at some of the newer properties? I've stayed at a few where the sink had better flow than the shower. Maintenance confirmed this was functioning as designed.

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
In fact, the prevalence of hand sanitizers probably is worse for antibiotic resistance (as in creates more) than anything else.
Even worse is when these hand sanitizers appear in hospitals. I was visiting a relative in the hospital. They had "infection control protocols" in effect for their case, requiring masks & gowns/gloves for all visitors/staff. Did any of the staff wash their hands? NOPE. Instead they just spritzed some hand sanitizer. Some of them didn't even bother using gloves. I rang up their head of nursing and asked if they had a problem with C.difficile at their facility. Yes. Gee, I wonder why. (C.diff is a sporulating bacterium, thus is completely unfazed by the hand sanitizers.)

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I absolutely do have a choice. I can stay elsewhere. I can bring my own travel size products. I can request the large ones be replaced with new ones on arrival.
I'd love to bring my own stuff, but the TSA says I have no choice.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
How does the motion sensor work when you sleep?
Depends on how they're installed. One of the worst stays I had with these was at a Hilton where the motion sensor was attached in-line with the thermostat. No logic at all other than a timer. After an hour of no motion it'd kill power to the thermostat. After the first miserable night and the property insisting there was no override, I popped the cover on it and shorted the wires.

Fortunately the Marriott properties I've stayed with HVAC motion sensors have some logic in them and door sensors. IF the door opens AND motion is detected later, room = occupied. IF door opens AND NO motion is detected, room = unoccupied. Also quite fortunate -- these are easy to bypass by using the VIP mode or just simply removing the batteries from the door sensor. I noticed someone beat me to the door sensor at the Courtyard this weekend, which was fantastic -- a nice, dry, cool room when the rest of the property was on the damp side. As an aside, all of these "energy saving" HVAC systems fail to account for humidity, which is absolutely key to human comfort. Whether in Florida or the Pacific NW, the unoccupied mode of these systems makes room absolutely disgustingly humid when the guest returns. So what does the guest do? Turn down the thermostat even lower. So much for the energy savings. Maybe it works better in other climates.

I also have encountered the lighting/outlet motion sensors and really disliked how they were implemented -- auto on / off. Nothing like you or your partner getting out of bed in the middle of the night and having the hallway & bathroom lights come on full blast. Equally fun when you find your mobile devices didn't charge because the outlets were automatically turned off.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
As a practical matter, a lot of environmental initiatives make our lives more difficult
Or actually cause more problems than they solve. The building department required motion sensors on all light switches in one of our new offices. Guess what? Those motion sensors use almost as much electricity as the LED lights do, and do so 24/7. The USA's EPA is the reason the engine in my current car only gets 32-40MPG instead of the 85MPG engine I wanted to put in it. Paper straws are just as bad, if not worse, for the environment than plastic straws.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Getting rid of plastic bottles is the way of the world. The problem, of course, is that getting rid of them in North America, Europe, Australia, and Japan won't really solve the plastic bottle problem.
Yep. As the map shows, the USA's use and proper disposal of plastic means it doesn't make a hill of beans difference compared to what other countries in the world do.

closecover and Segments like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A bunch of hotels that go with the move to wall-mounted toiletry dispensers in hotel rooms’ bathrooms have throttled the shower water flow in standard rooms while letting the suites and deluxe rooms go without such extreme throttling of water.

My portable solution: remove the shower head fixture/connector. It’s bad enough that I’m considering traveling with my own handheld shower fixture, but I also have to wait to see if TSA or some other airport security screener will make a fuss about that.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:45 am

I know I promised to get ahold of an empty bottle, but that didn't happen. I overslept the one day, and hotel staff were scurrying around with hurricane preparation.

BUT, one of the bottles was loose, so I had a look. First discovery was that the pump is not an integral part of the bottle, so I assume they get reused. I didn't have a scale with me and the bottle was half full, so I couldn't get a good weight from it.

The hotel room was VERY clean...but even with that, the dispensers still had plenty of mold growing on them. Looking at the design, I'm not surprised. Lots of cracks/crevices which they could have made rounded and smooth to reduce areas where mold could grow.

closecover likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:03 am

Couple of thoughts:
  • I never use the dispensers because I had just assumed they might be grimy
  • Until this thread I had never thought to actually look at the bottom of the dispenser. This was the very first time I bothered
  • Now, I could be very unlucky. But my initial reaction is that my assumptions re cleanliness are borne out
There are hotels that I tend to avoid because of their use of dispensers
  • I dislike and avoid Alofts for a lot of reasons, but this is one of the reasons
  • There is a particular Meridien that I otherwise really like, but their use of dispensers always gives me pause. I always end up seeing what else is available nearby with a comparable rate. If there were no dispensers, it would be Meridien every time
Is the use of dispensers the best./only way to meet whatever green PR goals the chain has
  • Using larger bottles. Some hotels do this, and I have zero problems making a single bottle last the duration of a stay. I'll ask for another if I run out
  • Using bio degradable packaging

Finally, from a marketing angle; I have bought Bliss products based on experience at the W. This does seem like a lost opportunity
seanp7, closecover and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
It would not obviate the "whole point" any more than not removing bottles from premium brands does. As a whole, millions of pounds of landfill would still be eliminated. For it to obviate the point would require a majority of customers going down and requesting the bottles, and if that is the case then it shows a clear will by the customers - also a win.

Remember too that the disposable razors, combs, and toothbrushes are already single use plastic.
Not to argue your statement, but when did combs become single use (this coming from a bald guy)?

Count me among those who welcome the change with toiletries. My business hotel of choice switched to refillable bottles mounted in the shower about a year ago. The only downside was the adjustment period for the hotel staff remembering to refill reusable bottles (shower gel, in my case - not shampoo). After a couple of months, the bottles have always been full.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver; Marriott - Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
Depends on how they're installed. One of the worst stays I had with these was at a Hilton where the motion sensor was attached in-line with the thermostat. No logic at all other than a timer. After an hour of no motion it'd kill power to the thermostat. After the first miserable night and the property insisting there was no override, I popped the cover on it and shorted the wires.

Fortunately the Marriott properties I've stayed with HVAC motion sensors have some logic in them and door sensors. IF the door opens AND motion is detected later, room = occupied. IF door opens AND NO motion is detected, room = unoccupied. Also quite fortunate -- these are easy to bypass by using the VIP mode or just simply removing the batteries from the door sensor. I noticed someone beat me to the door sensor at the Courtyard this weekend, which was fantastic -- a nice, dry, cool room when the rest of the property was on the damp side. As an aside, all of these "energy saving" HVAC systems fail to account for humidity, which is absolutely key to human comfort. Whether in Florida or the Pacific NW, the unoccupied mode of these systems makes room absolutely disgustingly humid when the guest returns. So what does the guest do? Turn down the thermostat even lower. So much for the energy savings. Maybe it works better in other climates.

I also have encountered the lighting/outlet motion sensors and really disliked how they were implemented -- auto on / off. Nothing like you or your partner getting out of bed in the middle of the night and having the hallway & bathroom lights come on full blast. Equally fun when you find your mobile devices didn't charge because the outlets were automatically turned off.
Can you do a YouTube video demonstrating how to override? Removing batteries from doors? The only thing I've figured out is to leave a blank card in the slot to keep everything working while I've left the room.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
Not to argue your statement, but when did combs become single use (this coming from a bald guy)?
Maybe my examples would have been more accurate to say 'single stay' but I've never felt a complimentary comb, razor, or toothbrush worth taking home with me.

Oh and on the broader topic, one blog's take on the issue led with the headline "Marriott prevents guests from stealing millions of shampoo bottles a year" which I thought was laughable because we are paying for them as part of the room rate. I did not succumb to their pathetic clickbait to see the rest of their "argument" or "report".
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
Yep. As the map shows, the USA's use and proper disposal of plastic means it doesn't make a hill of beans difference compared to what other countries in the world do.
I'm not sure the US has proper disposal of plastic:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...k2q-story.html
One has to just stop making the plastic.
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:14 am

A “war on (petrochemical-based) plastics” gets won by stopping to make plastic? Not likely. Plastic gets made because of the demand for it, and the demand for it seems to not be diminishing as much as it’s been growing in recent decades despite the waste/trash issues plastic has. And a large part of the global demand growth for plastics is due to the nature of rising economic tides in the poorer parts of the world.

This Marriott “save the world” measure is a drop in the bucket for the world, but it’s a world of big money for Marriott hotels.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 5, 19 at 3:22 am
Old Sep 5, 19, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Yeah, plastic disposal in the US is not great,

But just stopping making it is a bit too much of a sweet dream at the moment. Viable alternatives needs to be developed. However, that should not stop anyone from removing unnecessary plastic use, or reduce current use.

And while Marriott's change here may just be a drop in the bucket in some peoples' view. I'll gladly support the drops of change. In a Four Points right now, and the dispensers are absolutely OK. If they chose the same solution for my next St Regis stay, I'd be a bit miffed. But I am sure they can find a nice solution for a St R as well.
C17PSGR, Dr. HFH and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:20 pm

I hope you never end up in a hospital... everything there is single-use plastic these days, wrapped in multiple layers of single use plastic. We used to practice medicine just fine before all of this, so there obviously has to be a way to reduce this without detrimental effects. As far as people being pigs and tossing their junk everywhere, people have been doing this since the dawn of man.

I'm actually a bit more sensitive to the issue of trash/waste than most people as I don't have garbage service at one of my homes. Whatever I bring in either has to go down the drain or I have to drag it to the office in my own car. You become acutely aware of how excessive packaging is when you're dragging it all out by yourself.

At the same time I'm with GUWonder on this -- plastics exist because people want them. Governments & activists trying to force their holier-than-thou beliefs upon others is just bad policy, especially when equivalent alternatives don't exist. Paper straws are terrible and more wasteful/more polluting than the plastic straws they're replacing. I have coworkers who get intestinal distress when drinking tap water in certain US cities. We did try a blind test with them (refilled one of their bottles) and indeed the reaction was real. For them, bottled water means the difference between a productive trip and a tour of loos or possible clinic visit.
closecover likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 2:24 pm

I routinely sort and/or schlep 10+ categories of garbage/recycling — even removing the plastic parts from paper containers. And that’s all voluntary on my part, as the general waste category is just accepted as is by the waste management parties. And yet I don’t want a ban on all plastic and don’t welcome Marriott’s self-serving ways being done under cover of “save the world” when the drop in the bucket is more than offset by other stuff Marriott does to maximize what it can get out of its customers’ money.
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Oh the Ritz Carlton shower is gonna look real classy with big, refillable soap dispensers.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by jacca83 View Post
Oh the Ritz Carlton shower is gonna look real classy with big, refillable soap dispensers.
Shower gel in big bottles don't automatically look terrible

Not that I expect Ritz Carlton to go for my personal go to option, but if they bother thinking a out design it can look elegant.

It is not like the current Purple Water tiny bottles are very elegant. Recognisable, I like the product, but not exactly elegant.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: