FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984883-marriott-eliminate-single-use-toiletry-bottles.html)

GUWonder Sep 1, 19 6:10 am

A partial list of “environmentally-friendly”, hotel cost-cutting measures to be expected from hotels that go with wall-mounted toiletry dispensers:

1) hotel room lights and power sockets that only work if room key slot is loaded with a key and/or there is motion detected in the room;

2) hotel room air conditioning system that only works if room key slot is loaded with a key and/or if there is motion detected in the room/bathroom;

3) hotel room air conditioning that is throttled to not allow room temperature adjustments of more than +/- 2C from the central temperature setting even when the room key slot for power activation is loaded with a key and/or there is motion detected in the room/bathroom;

4) bathroom water-dispensing fixtures get metered/throttled to limit water usage/flow/pressure in sink and/or shower/tub;

5) bathroom toiletry-dispensing devices get metered/throttled to limit toiletry usage;

6) daily housekeeping in the rooms not standard included service for multi-night stays and/or eliminated;

7) increased/new fees for hotel parking lots and/or hotel eliminating/reducing their parking lots;

8) surcharge for provisioning of (any/additional) bed and bathroom linens/towels;

9) elimination/cutback on providing hotel stationery/paper/pens/pencils.

Any other such moves that Marriott has or should entertain in the name of “save the world” measures as part of a more expansive hotel cost-cutting culture?

CPH-Flyer Sep 1, 19 6:27 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31478948)
A partial list of “environmentally-friendly”, hotel cost-cutting measures to be expected from hotels that go with wall-mounted toiletry dispensers:

1) hotel room lights and power sockets that only work if room key slot is loaded with a key and/or there is motion detected in the room;

2) hotel room air conditioning system that only works if room key slot is loaded with a key and/or if there is motion detected in the room/bathroom;

3) hotel room air conditioning that is throttled to not allow room temperature adjustment by more than +/- 2C key from the central office setting slot even when the room key slot for power activation is loaded with a key and/or there is motion detected in the room/bathroom;

4) bathroom water-dispensing fixtures get metered/throttled to limit water usage/flow/pressure in sink and/or shower/tub;

5) bathroom toiletry-dispensing devices get metered/throttled to limit toiletry usage;

6) daily housekeeping in the rooms not standard included service for multi-night stays and/or eliminated;

7) increased/new fees for hotel parking lots and/or hotel eliminating/reducing their parking lots;

8) surcharge for provisioning of (any/additional) bed and bathroom linens/towels;

9) elimination/cutback on providing hotel stationery/paper/pens/pencils.

Any other such moves that Marriott has or should entertain in the name of “save the world” measures as part of a more expansive hotel cost-cutting culture?

1+2 is already there in many hotels, except for the motion sensor bit.

I saw 4 in form of no plugs in the sinks or tubs and some of the most drastic water saving on the shower heads in Cape Town. Though for a very good reason.

I am sure that 3 probably is already there. Though I can't say I have noticed it. My most frequent fights over aircon is usually in Singapore where housekeeping seems to adjust it down to 17 degrees from my more comfy 23.

6 is already there in form of make a green choice.

Some LA hotels has already taken your advice on parking fees to heart.

9 is probably not going to happen, as that is more advertising than

Stay in a Courtyard or Four Points and you are probably close to 50% there. Depending a bit on the specific hotel.

GUWonder Sep 1, 19 6:47 am


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31478986)
1+2 is already there in many hotels, except for the motion sensor bit.

I saw 4 in form of no plugs in the sinks or tubs and some of the most drastic water saving on the shower heads in Cape Town. Though for a very good reason.

I am sure that 3 probably is already there. Though I can't say I have noticed it. My most frequent fights over aircon is usually in Singapore where housekeeping seems to adjust it down to 17 degrees from my more comfy 23.

6 is already there in form of make a green choice.

Some LA hotels has already taken your advice on parking fees to heart.

9 is probably not going to happen, as that is more advertising than

Stay in a Courtyard or Four Points and you are probably close to 50% there. Depending a bit on the specific hotel.

The motion sensor bit and the hotel stationery cutbacks have already hit in bits at some hotels.

All 9 have already hit in some way at hotels, and the hotels are laughing all the way to the bank about customers being exhorted to go along with the so-called virtue signaling.

CPH-Flyer Sep 1, 19 6:57 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31479033)


The motion sensor bit and the hotel stationery cutbacks have already hit in bits at some hotels.

All 9 have already hit in some way at hotels, and the hotels are laughing all the way to the bank about customers being exhorted to go along with the so-called virtue signaling.

How does the motion sensor work when you sleep?

GUWonder Sep 1, 19 7:24 am


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31479050)
How does the motion sensor work when you sleep?

It works when someone moves. I’ve seen hotels keep the bathroom light/power sockets tied to motion detector-based activation since doing it in the rest of the hotel room got complaints during testing.

The motion detectors can activate the lights and/or the power. And the duration for which any given motion keeps the power running and/or lights on can vary.

JBord Sep 1, 19 7:31 am


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31477625)
This. We don't know for sure. As a result, we have to either take it on faith or perform a cursory inspection and make a determination based on that.

there is no way to know for sure that the linens were washed at a high enough temperature to kill everything or that there isnt legionnaires disease in the HVAC. Both things I dont worry about, but seem to be far more likely to get you sick than soap dispensers.

This is true. But at least we can believe that hotels have safe policies and procedures and that employees follow them, and that some things are at least subject to periodic inspections.

I'm nowhere near a germophobe - quite the opposite actually. I'm a believer in the "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" philosophy. I'm not going to refuse to use the dispensers or bring my own soap. To me, the point about tampering and germs is just that Marriott is making it easier for those with twisted minds to tamper with this liquid soap crap than with a wrapped bar of soap. And people WILL do that. I wouldn't want to know that the room I'm staying in was last occupied by a group of college kids, because the odds of some type of "prank" go up considerably.

But really, for me, it's just a matter of not liking body wash more than anything. Marriott is moving to an inferior product, to save money, with the spin that it's "green".

Or, as some people suggest, we can just skip washing with soap all together. The ultimate environmentally friendly solution!

GUWonder Sep 1, 19 8:31 am

Save the world by eliminating private bathrooms in hotel rooms and let everyone share the same facilities with wall-mounted toiletry dispensers, just like at some old school dormitories. ;)

CPH-Flyer Sep 1, 19 9:10 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31479115)


It works when someone moves. I’ve seen hotels keep the bathroom light/power sockets tied to motion detector-based activation since doing it in the rest of the hotel room got complaints during testing.

The motion detectors can activate the lights and/or the power. And the duration for which any given motion keeps the power running and/or lights on can vary.

I know the basic concept of a motion sensor, thank you. :D

I was more wondering how it would work for aircon and outlets for the whole room while sleeping. But if only lights and outlets in the bathroom it makes more sense. Most office space has motion sensors on the lights, though sometimes it makes people jump in weird ways of their desk is in an odd angle for the sensor.

GUWonder Sep 1, 19 9:24 am


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31479374)
I know the basic concept of a motion sensor, thank you. :D

I was more wondering how it would work for aircon and outlets for the whole room while sleeping. But if only lights and outlets in the bathroom it makes more sense. Most office space has motion sensors on the lights, though sometimes it makes people jump in weird ways of their desk is in an odd angle for the sensor.

Nearly all people move somewhat when sleeping. So that’s how it works.

For the part of the hotel rooms beyond the bathrooms (the latter of which had their own time limits for their own motion detector power activation/deactivation triggers), if no motion had been registered in the trigger area for X minutes/hours, the air condition and the rest of the power for the room was to be throttled.

I’ve been in hotels’ bathrooms where the lights went out due to the the motion detection set-up for providing/cutting electricity. I move around enough in my sleep to not have had a problem with the motion detection-related cut-offs to the hotel rooms where it was trialed.

Cathay Dragon 666 Sep 1, 19 9:32 am

Funny how "save the world" cut-backs never means reduced fees. I never thought I would say this, but at this rate of service reduction, AirBnB is looking better and better everyday.

CPH-Flyer Sep 1, 19 2:46 pm


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31479407)


Nearly all people move somewhat when sleeping. So that’s how it works.

For the part of the hotel rooms beyond the bathrooms (the latter of which had their own time limits for their own motion detector power activation/deactivation triggers), if no motion had been registered in the trigger area for X minutes/hours, the air condition and the rest of the power for the room was to be throttled.

I’ve been in hotels’ bathrooms where the lights went out due to the the motion detection set-up for providing/cutting electricity. I move around enough in my sleep to not have had a problem with the motion detection-related cut-offs to the hotel rooms where it was trialed.

I usually don't move much at night, so I'd loose airxon. Depending on when I am it may not be a disaster. But imagine that in Hong Kong in August...

Reminds me of a former work place in Denmark, all lights were on motion sensor, but there were no motion sensors in the restrooms and absolutely zero natural lights in the restrooms either. Sometimes one would end up having to navigate from the stall through the space with the sinks, before getting out to an area with a motion sensor. With absolute zero light.
​​​​​

sanfran8080 Sep 1, 19 9:47 pm

As a titanium I’m banking with this decision. These portable soap/shampoo dispenser are very hard to keep clean. I complain every time I see them dirty. Mgt awards me with 10k points as an apology. So far I banked 70k points. Get on board fellas. Thanks Marriott

nacho Sep 2, 19 4:23 am


Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 31481060)
As a titanium I’m banking with this decision. These portable soap/shampoo dispenser are very hard to keep clean. I complain every time I see them dirty. Mgt awards me with 10k points as an apology. So far I banked 70k points. Get on board fellas. Thanks Marriott

Have seen tons of disgusting ones with mold in throughout Europe - there are various types, I think the ones that they refill the liquid is the worst. I like the Japanese ones and those you replace a whole tube after it's finished.

10k points compensation is generous.

CPH-Flyer Sep 2, 19 4:40 am


Originally Posted by nacho (Post 31481668)
Have seen tons of disgusting ones with mold in throughout Europe - there are various types, I think the ones that they refill the liquid is the worst. I like the Japanese ones and those you replace a whole tube after it's finished.

10k points compensation is generous.

I must be relatively lucky, in the Courtyard and Four Points where I have encountered the dispensers so far, everything has looked nice and clean. These are mainly US locations.

christianj Sep 2, 19 4:56 am

I’m not generally opposed to the wall mounted dispenser BUT housekeeping needs to be taught to put the right liquid in the dispensers! I was just at the Moxy FRA and both of the dispensers in the shower contained conditioner and there was no shampoo/shower gel. Washing your hair and cleaning your body just doesn’t work with just conditioner! Totally annoying!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:35 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.