FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Free Night Certificate from Chase Ritz Card Last Year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984811-free-night-certificate-chase-ritz-card-last-year.html)

kgkg Aug 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Free Night Certificate from Chase Ritz Card Last Year

Dear all,

I have two 60k free night certificates from Chase Ritz Carlton card last year. It will expire in a few weeks. I called in the Titanium desk, and was told that they cannot "touch" these certificate. Is that true? Can I extend it or use it on a date that is after the expiration date, say November? I can make a booking now, but I am not sure whether Marriott will allow me to use it after the expiration date.

Any sharing of your experiences dealing with this situation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ellvizzle Aug 28, 2019 2:25 am

A few months ago I sent a message through the Marriott site to request an extension on these certs and it was granted. Worth trying again IMO.

nexusCFX Aug 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 31464304)
Dear all,

I have two 60k free night certificates from Chase Ritz Carlton card last year. It will expire in a few weeks. I called in the Titanium desk, and was told that they cannot "touch" these certificate. Is that true? Can I extend it or use it on a date that is after the expiration date, say November? I can make a booking now, but I am not sure whether Marriott will allow me to use it after the expiration date.

Any sharing of your experiences dealing with this situation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You can attach it to a booking for a date after the expiration date, but the certificate will expire anyway and vanish. Just HUCA until someone will extend them. It's absolutely doable even if you get told "the system won't allow it". You probably should have used them when all the Cat8 properties were 60k but that's another story.

kgkg Aug 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle (Post 31464915)
A few months ago I sent a message through the Marriott site to request an extension on these certs and it was granted. Worth trying again IMO.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 31468393)
You can attach it to a booking for a date after the expiration date, but the certificate will expire anyway and vanish. Just HUCA until someone will extend them. It's absolutely doable even if you get told "the system won't allow it". You probably should have used them when all the Cat8 properties were 60k but that's another story.

Thanks. I called and got extended successfully.

rrgg Aug 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 31468393)

If you have to cancel it later, does the certificate retain the new expiration date? (Maybe by switching it to a points reservation first before cancelling.) Not sure if there are new rules for this.

bunny425 Aug 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi,

I also have two 2 FN certificates (60K) from Ritz last year. I booked Ritz Carlton Kyoto for mid Sept 2019 stay before they changed the award chart. However, I don't think I can make it to Kyoto in Sept. Has anyone able to do a date change that still keep at the old redemption point using FN certificate? If I cancel my stay and ask for certificate extension, then I wont be able to book Ritz Carlton Kyoto again since it is now in category 8....

What is the recommendation for my scenario?

Thanks

nexusCFX Aug 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 31471258)
If you have to cancel it later, does the certificate retain the new expiration date? (Maybe by switching it to a points reservation first before cancelling.) Not sure if there are new rules for this.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If they extend a cert, then the date is extended. Certs will disappear on their expiration date regardless of whether they're attached to a booking.

nexusCFX Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by bunny425 (Post 31471491)
Hi,

I also have two 2 FN certificates (60K) from Ritz last year. I booked Ritz Carlton Kyoto for mid Sept 2019 stay before they changed the award chart. However, I don't think I can make it to Kyoto in Sept. Has anyone able to do a date change that still keep at the old redemption point using FN certificate? If I cancel my stay and ask for certificate extension, then I wont be able to book Ritz Carlton Kyoto again since it is now in category 8....

What is the recommendation for my scenario?

Thanks

It is impossible to change the dates and not be re-priced. You either go in Sept for your booking or you get the certificates back and they are usable at Cat7 standard rate, no Cat8.

EDIT: Apologies for double posting instead of editing.

coolfish1103 Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

If you change the dates, it's re-priced (regardless the reason). No way around.

Friend had it changed due to typhoon and was charged 25,000 additional points by Ritz Kyoto.

rrgg Oct 3, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle (Post 31464915)

Does this mean you had 2 expiring 1-night Ritz certificates? MR said they'll only extend 1. My fault of course.

Edited: A few days later MR came through and extended both nights for me!

Ellvizzle Oct 6, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 31591191)
Does this mean you had 2 expiring 1-night Ritz certificates? MR said they'll only extend 1. My fault of course.

Yes, I had two. Basically I had had them both attached to a reservation for about nine months and the hotel contacted me a few weeks before the stay stating they could not honor my reservation. It was a ridiculous situation that was otherwise resolved (you can read the ft thread on it if you'd like), but then that meant my certs were soon expiring and I didn't have another trip coming up, other than the one I had planned to use them for. I explained the situation in my request for the extension and it was granted for both.

ski Oct 6, 2019 9:44 pm

Get the one extended, then call, ask for supervisor if needed, and get the other extended. HUCA