Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kauai Courtyard vs Sheraton Kauai Resort July 2020??

Old Aug 26, 19, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I want to book 5-nights with points before peak pricing sets in. I'm trying to compare the Kauai Courtyard and the Sheraton Kauai Resort. I've been doing research but can't find a comparison between these two properties.
We've never been to Kauai, we are only Marriott gold, which I think is basically no status. We almost never eat dinner at hotels so walking distance to eateries would be best. I'm assuming the renovations at Courtyard will be done by July 2020. The Courtyard is currently 25k and the Sheraton is 35K.
Thoughts?? Thanks!!
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemiana View Post
I want to book 5-nights with points before peak pricing sets in. I'm trying to compare the Kauai Courtyard and the Sheraton Kauai Resort. I've been doing research but can't find a comparison between these two properties.
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach will be rebranded to Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort when its renovation is complete.

Keep in mind that the Sheraton Kauai Resort in Poipu is on both sides of Poipu Beach Road. Staying with points, it seems likely that you would be assigned to a room on the land side of the road, not the ocean side.
We've never been to Kauai, we are only Marriott gold, which I think is basically no status. We almost never eat dinner at hotels so walking distance to eateries would be best. I'm assuming the renovations at Courtyard will be done by July 2020. The Courtyard is currently 25k and the Sheraton is 35K.
Thoughts?? Thanks!!
I would certainly hope the Sheraton (former Courtyard) Kauai Coconut Beach Resort in Kapa'a will be completely done before July 2020, but I would recommend phoning the resort directly to confirm.

Gold Elite is much better than no status. Gold Elite is eligible for an upgrade. You're in the middle of the tiers:
— Non-mamber
— Member
— Silver Elite
— Gold Elite
— Platinum Elite
— Titanium Elite
— Ambassador Elite

I've never stayed at either property, but I'm familiar with Kapa'a and Poipu. Kapa'a is more basic and Poipu is more resort-like. You have to be careful with beaches on Kauai because of currents, but beaches at Poipu are more highly regarded than beaches around Kapa'a. I like the Allerton Gardens at the National Tropical Botanical Garden, Poipu (take a tour). If location were the only factor, I would rather stay at Poipu.

Then again, five nights at a newly renovated resort at Kapa'a for just 100,000 points seems pretty darn good.

I would look at recent reviews on Tripadvisor, but those reviews won't tell you what the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort will be like upon completion.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 26, 19 at 3:33 pm
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

All the recent reviews for the Courtyard are horrible because of the renovation but the biggest complaint now is the pool and noise because the rooms are done. (Rooms are said to be very nice now.) I went ahead and booked it because I got an ocean-view room for 100k points (plus $20 per night). Some people commented the ocean there is beautiful but not for swimming. We will have a car so I suppose it's not far to a nice beach, but having an ocean view and only 100k sealed the deal.
Horace likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:49 pm

Just came back from Kauai. We were 1st timers in the island. We stayed at Courtyard for 2 nights and Marriott Kauai Resort for 1 night. We didnít mind the renovations at CY because we spent all day exploring the island.

-CY better location to explore the island as you can access both north and south shores in similar time. Sheraton is a longer time to get to the North shore (I recommend a lot to visit)
-CY swimming pool will be very nice (we saw the construction from the room) and probably bigger than Sheraton
-we were at the Sheraton beach: the beach is nicer than in CY which was a rocky beach

overall if youíre planning not spend a lot of time at the hotel definetively Iíll pick up CY
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
I checked over the past weekend for reward nights and all dates in October were available. This morning I signed in to book a week and there is a banner that the hotel is not accepting point reservations along with many other hotels on Kaua'i. Could this be in anticipation of peak/non peak pricing?
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
I checked over the past weekend for reward nights and all dates in October were available. This morning I signed in to book a week and there is a banner that the hotel is not accepting point reservations along with many other hotels on Kaua'i. Could this be in anticipation of peak/non peak pricing?
I looked just before the switch and was still able to find availability in summer BUT now after the switch redemptions have DOUBLED! SO glad booked before the switch!
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:26 pm

Anyone have any idea if the rebranded Sheraton at Coconut beach will have a Lounge for Elite members, will I get free breakfast?. I am Titanium elite. I currently have a 5 day reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn Wailua Bay. 50k pionts per night. This comes with free breakfast. Trying to compare these two options.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler View Post
Anyone have any idea if the rebranded Sheraton at Coconut beach will have a Lounge for Elite members, will I get free breakfast?. I am Titanium elite. I currently have a 5 day reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn Wailua Bay. 50k pionts per night. This comes with free breakfast. Trying to compare these two options.
For the Sheraton brand (hotels and resorts), Platinum Elite (and higher) members can choose daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift. It's a guaranteed benefit. (Just be careful not to pick 1,000 points as the Welcome Gift.)

I would not expect a Sheraton Club Lounge at the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort.
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
For the Sheraton brand (hotels and resorts), Platinum Elite (and higher) members can choose daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift.
Much better breakfast benefit than Courtyard's $10x2 per day. Hopefully the brand changes soon.
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
I looked just before the switch and was still able to find availability in summer BUT now after the switch redemptions have DOUBLED!
That's OK because there're going to be roughly an equal number of off-peak moves as on-peak, perfectly balancing the whole equation. I personally am eagerly awaiting arrival of my "Things to Do in January" packet from the Topeka Chamber of Commerce.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:47 pm

Programs: CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
All the recent reviews for the Courtyard are horrible because of the renovation but the biggest complaint now is the pool and noise because the rooms are done. (Rooms are said to be very nice now.) I went ahead and booked it because I got an ocean-view room for 100k points (plus $20 per night). Some people commented the ocean there is beautiful but not for swimming. We will have a car so I suppose it's not far to a nice beach, but having an ocean view and only 100k sealed the deal.
I an email from the hotel today for a stay in December. I'm sure you received it as well. A couple things I found:
  • If you are using points, check your dates again. I booked 5 nights for 100k I checked my new dates and it only cost 80k points. Rechecked my original dates and they were also only 80k. Might be worth rebooking.
  • Also, check your reservation in your account. The Courtyard resort fee is only $20. When booking a new res, it still shows this. In my case, it lists $100 total, so not showing any taxes owed. When I checked my reservation in my account, the resort fee switched to $186 for 5 nights (at least I think it was that much. I deleted the res already but didn't think to capture the new amount. But, I remember seeing the amount and thinking it was way more than when I booked). I made a pdf of my new res showing $100 that I plan to show the hotel when I arrive.
  • You have until the 10/8 to still book or rebook at the Cat 4 level.

Search this Thread