Late check-in to hotel? what day to put

Old Aug 24, 19, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Late check-in to hotel? what day to put

If I have to check into a hotel very late, or early, what day should i place the reservations?
My flight into Singapore will land at 11:55pm, on Dec 25th unfortunately. So I won't make it to the hotel(haven't decided, but will be a Bonvoy), probably for another hour. So what date do I put in as my check-in? Dec 25th or dec 26th?
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:58 pm

25th because if you put 26th you won’t be able to (in normal circumstance) check in before check-in time on the 26th
Old Aug 25, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
25th, but make sure you let the hotel know that you are arriving very late.
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Yeah, 25th unless you want to sleep outside. Put a note in the booking about late arrival.
I would call the hotel before your flight to remind them.
realworld likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by nmpls View Post
Yeah, 25th unless you want to sleep outside. Put a note in the booking about late arrival.
This. I have done exactly that, at the Vagabond Club in Singapore. I told them to hold my room for a "very late arrival" and the added the flight number as well in the notes. Room was waiting for me when I arrived at almost 2 am. IIRC, I followed up with an email a few days before arrival -- I got a welcoming email from the General Manager of the hotel about a week before the stay and I replied to it.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Checking in early on the 26th is near 100% unlikely to be accommodated by the hotel

book and pay for the 25th. When you make the reservation call Marriott and ask for a note in your reservation to say you’ll have a late checkin/early am checkin on the 26th

subject to when you leave Toronto the Marriott app will also allow direct chat to your hotel. I say when because I don’t think you can chat with the hotel in the app until about two says prior. I’ve used that in the past to great success to make note of arrival times
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Of course you make the reservation for the night of the 25th given that check in time is usually from around 3pm on the day of the reservation and not shortly after midnight the night before. It would be a spectacular Your 24 if you could shoehorn an extra night into the stay by checking in so early and insisting on your 4pm Platinum check out time on the day of departure .

I face this issue every time I go to Bangkok and the hotel emails me before and asks what time I will be arriving. I invariably arrive about 12.30-1am. However, it's much more straightforward to tell them that I will arrive at 11.30pm both by email and when I check in on the app the day before. It avoids any confusion. I'm done with the conversation about which midnight/12am I mean for a reservation that starts on a Friday. Do I mean middle of the night on Thursday? Or Friday? What is obvious to you may not be obvious to someone communicating in a second language. Now I just say 11.30pm and copy them my flight details.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can help to specify times using both the am/pm and 24 hour clock conventions.
466SHH likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by nmpls View Post
I always checkin using the app and then send a message via the app to let them know I'm arriving LATE. This leaves a paper trail vs he said she said over a phone call. Did this last week and the hotel checked me in and had my keys ready before closing their books for the day and automatically becoming a no show.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:09 am

If I'm arriving even past 8 these days I use the chat feature of the app and let them know my arrival time - this helps ensure that there is a room there for me when I arrive.
SeeTheLights likes this.

Search this Thread