Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special rates for local residents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Almost every resort in Indonesia offers local rates for Indonesian nationals that are about 70% lower than what visitors pay.

Have you never seen the Florida residents only rates for Disneyworld?

This is very common world-wide.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Almost every resort in Indonesia offers local rates for Indonesian nationals that are about 70% lower than what visitors pay.

Florida is the only one i've seen.

It seems Marriott should take a more subtle approach - ie) only show the special rate to people who are visiting the Marriott website from an ip address in the jurisdiction where the special rate is offered; b) only allowing people who visit the "local" marriott website... (I assume they have slightly different ones in some of the different countries, or at least different languages?; c) only advertising in local media/papers (not on the website for all to see).

I know in Egypt tourists pay way more for certain attractions, but the "locals" price is written in Arabic, and a foreigner would have no idea...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I know in Egypt tourists pay way more for certain attractions, but the "locals" price is written in Arabic, and a foreigner would have no idea...
Did you just assume that because I am a white American that I can not read Arabic?

Also, if you want to see true discrimination in favor of locals, check out Vegas some time. Pretty much any exclusive club, long line, sold out show becomes open, cheaper once you show a Nevada ID. Bottle limits disappear. Resort fees disappear.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:03 am

lol

OP, you've started some really hilarious threads, but I think arguing that "Americans" should be a protected class takes the cake.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ

Not just Indonesian nationals but anybody with a termporary residents card (KITAS).
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It seems Marriott should take a more subtle approach - ie) only show the special rate to people who are visiting the Marriott website from an ip address in the jurisdiction where the special rate is offered; b) only allowing people who visit the "local" marriott website... (I assume they have slightly different ones in some of the different countries, or at least different languages?; c) only advertising in local media/papers (not on the website for all to see).

I've been in museums in Russia where Russian citizens pay about 10% of the admission rate that applies to everyone else, and it's clearly posted.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Ah, so you are familiar with local discounts after all.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been in museums in Russia where Russian citizens pay about 10% of the admission rate that applies to everyone else, and it's clearly posted.
In English or in Russian?! Using Google maps I could not even figure out which direction to take the train in because of the different alphabet and the fact that train directions on the platform are only posted in cyrilic!!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Yes, it is discriminatory.
2. No, it is not unlawful discrimination (presuming that OP is talking about the US - he hasn't identified the property, perhaps it's the Area 51 Marriott??). An exception does apply if this is a property located in the EU. If the rate is available to any resident of the EU, it must be available to all residents of the EU. Thus, if a Dublin property offers a room to residents of Dublin at a special discount, a resident of the EU may claim that rate.
3. Yes, there is wiggle room. Purchase a forged ID with a local address and hope that the FD does not notice. This, of course, may not be a great savings if it all goes wrong.
4. Yes, it is a very common practice.

The risk of making a fraudulent reservation is that you are denied the rate and are offered a room at the rack rate, typically 6-7x the standard rates at which one can book. Or they figure out that it's a scam, cancel the reservation, and you arrive to find out that there aren't any rooms to be had.

All about your risk tolerance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
this is completely different - state supported museums offer discounts or free access to citizens who pay taxes that fund those museums.
i have never seen discounts for russians at hotels or other privately run businesses (although they may exist)
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
South America (particularly Argentina IIRC) has resident rates for airfare as well.

Buenos Aires - Iguazu flight was like $80 for locals and $300 for foreigners.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
In English or in Russian?! Using Google maps I could not even figure out which direction to take the train in because of the different alphabet and the fact that train directions on the platform are only posted in cyrilic!!
in india there are many tourist sites where indian citizens pay upto 90% less than tourists....& its written in clear english....
IndyHoosier and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I’ve spent the last few days searching hotels in Abu Dhabi. Thought I found a great rate until I discovered that GCC meant Gulf Cooperation Council.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You risk getting charged at RACK rate if you show up at the door and can't provide documentation. Same as if you'd booked a government rate, e.g.
What unnecessary hyperbole. No hotel is charging full rack rate to a Titanium; worst case they would charge what the current Best Available Rate (BAR) is, which is significantly less than RACK.

Plus, I'm sure the Titanium Elite line would cancel the reservation without penalty for a Titanium in a case like this, where the email confirmation doesn't say the ID is required.

Yes, the OP sees it in rate details, but what about for someone else that doesn't? Shouldn't Marriott/the property be held to the same standard, and be required to put this clearly in all reservation-related communications with OP? I think so.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think it's well established now that local rates are not blatant discrimination and are quite common throughout the world.

Hopefully that settles that?
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.