Baltimore Delta North [Master Thread]

Old Aug 19, 19, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Baltimore Delta North [Master Thread]

Well, I just get suckered into staying at the "NEW" Baltimore Delta North hotel for 14 days and just after day one, I want to leave. The hotel says its "New" but actually its just new to Marriott and its and old, run down, Radisson. The room are old and worn, the staff is very unhappy, and simple things like safes in the rooms are non-existent. They didn't acknowledge my Platinum status, no room upgrade even they the place is basically empty, and they have "pantry" aka the club lounge that I didn't even know about until i ran into someone in the elevator with a cup of coffee this morning. Speaking of coffee, NONE provided in the lobby. You have to go into the restaurant and purchase a cup if you want one.

So beware- if you think this is a brand new hotel, you will be very disappointed and as far as a good Delta hotel... its not.
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Delta Hotels Baltimore North — https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ltimore-north/

Almost all Delta Hotels since the opening of the Delta Orlando Lake Buena Vista in 2016 have been conversions. Marriott needed a conversion brand to compete with Hilton's DoubleTree and used its Delta Hotels brand for this purpose. Yes, Marriott.com labels these converted hotels as "New," even though almost none of them are.

A hotel should be brought up to Delta Hotels standards before switching to the Delta Hotels brand. It should have modern, functional furniture, in good shape. The hotel should certainly not be old and run-down (even if the building is several decades old).

The Elite Pantry is an approved alternative to a Delta Hotels Signature Lounge. There should be complimentary grab-and-go breakfast, with brewed coffee, for Platinum Elite and higher. If you're Platinum Elite or higher and the Elite Pantry is depleted, it seems reasonable to request complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.

I've assumed that Delta Hotels properties would all be in pretty good shape immediately after conversion and would be acceptable lower-end full-service hotels. I've wondered what will happen to them over time. Most have a history of having been neglected by their owners at some point before conversion. My hope is that Marriott will watch these properties carefully and de-flag the bad ones.

Based on the review of the Delta Hotels Baltimore North in this thread, it seems the property should not yet be branded as Delta Hotels.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
This used to be the Radisson Cross Keys which was actually a decent hotel. It must have just converted and it sounds like maybe Marriott needs to focus on enforcing certain standards before a hotel converts to one of their brands....just look at all the complaining about the LeMeridien Central Park NYC which converted from the Viceroy brand and is getting horrible reviews.

FYI, there is also a Delta in Hunt Valley just north of here which is sometimes also called Baltimore North so hopefully no one confuses the two. I think it's odd that they have three Delta's so close to one another (there's also one Downtown) since it's not one of Marriott's more well know brands.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 19, 19 at 1:36 pm
Old Aug 19, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christianj View Post

FYI, there is also a Delta in Hunt Valley just north of here which is sometimes also called Baltimore North so hopefully no one confuses the two. I think it's odd that they have three Delta's so close to one another (there's also one Downtown) since it's not one of Marriott's more well know brands.
Delta Hotels by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley is also a conversion. It was the Hunt Valley Inn Baltimore Wyndham Grand.

Delta Hotels Baltimore Inner Harbor is not a hotel conversion, but it makes use of a historic building built in 1904.
Old Aug 19, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
......I've assumed that Delta Hotels properties would all be in pretty good shape immediately after conversion and would be acceptable lower-end full-service hotels. I've wondered what will happen to them over time. Most have a history of having been neglected by their owners at some point before conversion. My hope is that Marriott will watch these properties carefully and de-flag the bad ones.

Based on the review of the Delta Hotels Baltimore North in this thread, it seems the property should not yet be branded as Delta Hotels.
My experience indicates otherwise. I love the original Canadian locations, but stateside, I avoid them if possible after several bad experiences. Delta DTW Metro Airport might be the worst and should never have been reopened without significantly more renovation than was done.
Old Aug 19, 19, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man View Post
Well, I just get suckered into staying at the "NEW" Baltimore Delta North hotel for 14 days and just after day one, I want to leave. The hotel says its "New" but actually its just new to Marriott and its and old, run down, Radisson.
Beware of the "Autograph" collection as well. Same story for some of the properties. Check the reviews on these before you stay. About 10 years ago The Radisson Lexington (NYC) was practically our second home on an engagement we had...because it had a great location and was cheap. Otherwise it was sub-par. The Radisson flag disappeared for a year or so then it became a Marriott Autograph Collection, but with the same staff as before, and all of the familiar problems from before. It's a shame as they have a beautiful art deco building which could be something special if they'd put some serious money into it.

We've not stayed there in a good 5 years now, if not more, as a new RI opened up next door with larger rooms and great management. In fairness, the recent reviews for The Lexington seem to be much better than in prior years.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
Beware of the "Autograph" collection as well. Same story for some of the properties.
Ah yes, the old grab bag. Everything from scratch-built, well-designed new properties to flipped Courtyards. It blows my mind to think that people stay at any hotel on brand alone, but when it comes to these "odds and ends" portfolios (Autograph, Luxury, Curio over at Hilton, etc.), it's worth it to be that much more cautious.
Old Aug 19, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
FYI, there is also a Delta in Hunt Valley just north of here which is sometimes also called Baltimore North so hopefully no one confuses the two.
The review in this forum of Delta Hunt Valley doesn't appear to be any better than Baltimore North.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Delta Hotels by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley is also a conversion. It was the Hunt Valley Inn Baltimore Wyndham Grand.
It was also the Marriott Hunt Valley at some time....I know since I lived in the area and it changed flags a ton of times. A trip down memory lane in case anyone is interested.
Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn

Beware of the "Autograph" collection as well.
True of some properties but I do NOT agree with your overall assessment.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 20, 19 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76 View Post
My experience indicates otherwise. I love the original Canadian locations, but stateside, I avoid them if possible after several bad experiences. Delta DTW Metro Airport might be the worst and should never have been reopened without significantly more renovation than was done.
Really?

Well I agree that the Canadian ones are great, but I don't mind the DTW Metro Airport (for the price) - it is one of my top 3 DTW hotels... The hallways are long and creepy, the outside (and hallways) look as though it used to be an insane asylum, but the rooms are very nice, and the staff very accomodating... great restaurant too. I mean, I woudln't pay $200 or $300 a night, but for $70 or $90, it's a good hotel.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

True of some properties but I do NOT agree with your overall assessment.
Other than the fact that some (many?) don't have club lounges, I have had pretty good experiences at autograph.

The Lexington NYC (three years ago) - had some absolutely delicious muffins for breakfast, though a much more limited offering than most Marriott's, but for $130 a night it was great.
Old Aug 20, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Beware of the "Autograph" collection as well. Same story for some of the properties. Check the reviews on these before you stay. About 10 years ago The Radisson Lexington (NYC) was practically our second home on an engagement we had...because it had a great location and was cheap. Otherwise it was sub-par. The Radisson flag disappeared for a year or so then it became a Marriott Autograph Collection, but with the same staff as before, and all of the familiar problems from before. It's a shame as they have a beautiful art deco building which could be something special if they'd put some serious money into it.

We've not stayed there in a good 5 years now, if not more, as a new RI opened up next door with larger rooms and great management. In fairness, the recent reviews for The Lexington seem to be much better than in prior years.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Ah yes, the old grab bag. Everything from scratch-built, well-designed new properties to flipped Courtyards. It blows my mind to think that people stay at any hotel on brand alone, but when it comes to these "odds and ends" portfolios (Autograph, Luxury, Curio over at Hilton, etc.), it's worth it to be that much more cautious.
Newly built Autograph hotels are among the best hotels I have stayed at in the Marriott system (Press Hotel and Watermark Hotel come to mind). Even the main brands (Ritz Carlton, W, Marriott, etc) have some great hotels and some stinkers. Before booking, always check TripAdvisor. Pretty simple practice.
Old Aug 20, 19, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Newly built Autograph hotels are among the best hotels I have stayed at in the Marriott system (Press Hotel and Watermark Hotel come to mind). Even the main brands (Ritz Carlton, W, Marriott, etc) have some great hotels and some stinkers. Before booking, always check TripAdvisor. Pretty simple practice.
Agree. It blows my mind that people don't do their homework.
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Agree. It blows my mind that people don't do their homework.
+1 but that requires effort which some people clearly don't want to put in. But that is a topic for another thread!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:28 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Personally, it seem the entire Delta brand is about conversions and tired properties. I always check in advance, but I think I've already largely written off Delta.

Search this Thread