Search

Which resort on points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Which resort on points?

Hi All,

im in two minds where to go first week of December, for 5-6 nights. I’m looking at the below properties;

Solaz Los Cabos
St R. punta mita
St R. Puerto Rico

I am a solo traveller, looking for a relaxing vacation. As an Ambassador I’d like a resort this is known to treat the elites very well and also a resort that is likely to accept SNA’s.
I am not a beach fan but if it’s there then fine.
More of a private pool person (recently stayed at the W Maldives).

Which one would you book?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Also open to other suggestions.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
St. Regis Bal Habour
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
St. Regis Bal Habour
Can I ask what makes you suggest St. R Bal Harbour?
Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
We have been there once as plats on points, they upgraded us to a nice suite (not the junior one, but the next one up) without need for SNA. Pool and beach were amazing.

Food much much better than Caribbean and Mexico resorts. We just can’t stand paying for overpriced mediocre food.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Hi All,

im in two minds where to go first week of December, for 5-6 nights. I’m looking at the below properties;

Solaz Los Cabos
St R. punta mita
St R. Puerto Rico

I am a solo traveller, looking for a relaxing vacation. As an Ambassador I’d like a resort this is known to treat the elites very well and also a resort that is likely to accept SNA’s.
I am not a beach fan but if it’s there then fine.
More of a private pool person (recently stayed at the W Maldives).

Which one would you book?

Thanks
All will treat Ambassador elites well. That includes the now-mentioned StR Bal Harbour.

Personally, I think the StR Punta Mita is the best of them all. In every way. The fact that there are so many pools makes the adults only pool feel like your own pool, especially when the occupancy isn't high but even when it can be. In early Dec, occupancy won't be high but the weather will be fabulous. The beach is pretty too. And SNAs or Ambassador pre-upgrade could put you in one of their fabulous private villas on the beach with private pool, too! There's also the nearby FS and W at which to dine, not to mention the Punta Mita resort restaurants and those in the nearby town, as well as Imanta outside the resort area. Lots of options to enjoy.

But they all look to be excellent properties at which you can have a wonderful stay.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
All will treat Ambassador elites well. That includes the now-mentioned StR Bal Harbour.

Personally, I think the StR Punta Mita is the best of them all. In every way. The fact that there are so many pools makes the adults only pool feel like your own pool, especially when the occupancy isn't high but even when it can be. In early Dec, occupancy won't be high but the weather will be fabulous. The beach is pretty too. And SNAs or Ambassador pre-upgrade could put you in one of their fabulous private villas on the beach with private pool, too! There's also the nearby FS and W at which to dine, not to mention the Punta Mita resort restaurants and those in the nearby town, as well as Imanta outside the resort area. Lots of options to enjoy.

But they all look to be excellent properties at which you can have a wonderful stay.
Thank you for the advice, I am swaying more to Punta Mita, hope the Ambassador and SNA puts me in the Villa.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Thank you for the advice, I am swaying more to Punta Mita, hope the Ambassador and SNA puts me in the Villa.
We last were there in Jan 2018 for my bday, but the villa wasn't part of the SNA upgrade pool then (imagine that, a better choice with Bonvoy now than with SPG!). So we used points for our suite and then paid to upgrade to the villa. Loved it.

But we previously had been upgraded to only "garden view" or pool view deluxe suites and loved those, too. We just think this resort is one of the very best in the entire Bonvoy portfolio.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Scrub Island?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I went to Solaz on a week-long solo trip in May. I had a great time. It's a really nice resort with a stunning physical plant and very good food and service. If you get upgraded all of the gallery rooms (and suites, obviously) have plunge pools. They're not really separate pools, they're one long pool with dividers, but they're still fairly private - I never saw anyone else when I was in mine. The entire length of the resort is lined with infinity pools facing the ocean, so you will never be at a loss for a nice pool spot.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Scrub Island?
From all that I've read, Scrub isn't nearly to the same luxury standard as the other resorts being discussed here. It's 4 star at best.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:45 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I am just curious as to the need for villa type of accommodation for a solo traveler. I would be towards the perks, like spa, drink and food etc.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
From all that I've read, Scrub isn't nearly to the same luxury standard as the other resorts being discussed here. It's 4 star at best.
You may be right. We looked but haven't been and the hurricane recovery was hard for them. It looks beautiful though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You may be right. We looked but haven't been and the hurricane recovery was hard for them. It looks beautiful though.
I’m sure is lovely. Just not to the same luxury standard as these others!

And the hurricane recovery was tough for the StR Bahia Beach, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.