FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Half a Million Marriott Points, Where to Go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1983124-half-million-marriott-points-where-go.html)

CIT85 Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31458089)
I’m fairly paranoid and even a bit narrow minded, but when it comes to our toddler, we prefer to keep her within US, Canada, UK and Japan until she’s at least 12. Food sanitation is a concern as she’s allergic to tree nuts. I really don’t want to worry about access to quality health care should we need it. So we ain’t gonna hit Mexico or Caribbean despite all the nice resorts and such. No cruise ship either. I’m just super paranoid in general. shrugs

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31459339)
unfortunately that’s too long of a journey. Toronto to Vancouver, stop, then Vancouver to Hawaii. Noooooot gonna happen with the toddler

Process of elmination based on your restrictions.
Japan - Too far
Hawaii - Too far
Europe (other than UK) - Not on your list
Canada - No real Marriott Bonvoy nice resorts
UK - No real Marriott Bonvoy nice resorts
Continental US - Limited to a few states, FL, CO, CA

If you wait until toddler is 12, then you have to wait a few more years until the new born (in the next 2 years or so) becomes old enough.

We took our daughter to Paris and Geneva the first time when she was 3-1/2, and then other countries in Europe and Asia every other year. through high school. Now she has no qualms planning her own trips to Greece, Croatia, Morocco, and Spain by the time she graduated from college.

theOtherHolmes Aug 27, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 31462027)
Process of elmination based on your restrictions.
Japan - Too far
Hawaii - Too far
Europe (other than UK) - Not on your list
Canada - No real Marriott Bonvoy nice resorts
UK - No real Marriott Bonvoy nice resorts
Continental US - Limited to a few states, FL, CO, CA

If you wait until toddler is 12, then you have to wait a few more years until the new born (in the next 2 years or so) becomes old enough.

We took our daughter to Paris and Geneva the first time when she was 3-1/2, and then other countries in Europe and Asia every other year. through high school. Now she has no qualms planning her own trips to Greece, Croatia, Morocco, and Spain by the time she graduated from college.

I will probably relax a bit more when she’s older. Japan is ideal. Europe next. Right now though she wouldn’t even sit thru a 2-hour car ride. We are flying to Orlando and breaking the 3-hour flight into two flight segments because we need the break. We are also flying from Orlando to Miami because the driver is way too long for her while flying is only 1 hour. She just won’t sit still for long and the tantrum is ... unbearable

Boraxo Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I would reconsider Mexico. We have an annual (sometimes 2x/year) trip to my inlaws timeshares in Cancun and Cabo (the latter now replaced by Puerto Vallarta) and never any issues with our children. The resorts all cater to Americans so the food is very safe. The flights are relatively short (from Calif - longer from Canada) and you can get through immigration quickly if you qualify for an APAC card (see Trusted Traveler forum). My children have visited every year since they were both infants and love the trip. Some resorts even have dirt cheap child care with great activities and staff. Another beach option would be Spain, France or Portugal though maybe tougher to find Marriott luxury resorts. But the flights are closer from Toronto than where I live.

I miss the Greek Islands (used to visit annually after college) but would not take my kids there - there are many beaches that are much closer to the USA and better for children - on both East and West coasts. Plus the aforementioned Euro beaches.

My personal view is that you should start training your children early on airplane travel, and then they will do well as they get older. We took my son Australia at 15 months (couldn't pass up a mistake fare) and had a great time though of course he doesn't remember any of it. Accommodating tantrums is not the way to go … and it could get worse when you have children sniping at their siblings. Start with a trip to a resort on the East Coast, then consider Mexico, then a longer trip. Baby steps... :)

P.S. I'm not big on Florida and Orlando but they do cater to families and have a ton of Marriott resorts and vacation properties, so that may be the best option for now.