Need to buy points - as many as possible

Old Aug 15, 19, 6:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Posts: 92
Need to buy points - as many as possible

So here's the dilemma:

I have been assigned to work at a remote location. Following are my options:

1 - Hilton (Hampton Inn) - approx 170 / night
1 - Marriott - Townplace - approx 210 / night
1 - La Quinta

Even though the Marriott is $210 / night. The point stay is 50,000 for 5 nights (1 night free) - category 2. Most of my stays are 5 nights:

So,
I could stay at Hilton
- spend $170 x 5 plus another 18% (taxes and fees) = $1003 / week
- earn 170 x 5 x 44 (Diamond / credit card / promotion) = 37,400 points per week

I could stay at Marriott
- use 50,000 points / stay until I run out of points.
or
- $210 x 5 plus another 18% (taxes and fees) = 1239
- earn approx 30,000 bonvoy points

in terms of value even though the 50,000 points are for the $210 / night hotel, I compare it with the other option at $170.

So 50,000 points to avoid $1000 spend. so 2 cents / point.

Question: where and how do i buy more Marriott points.

Waiting for a promotion where the bonus to buy is 100% or so. I understand I am limited at 80,000 / yr so a total of $160,000.

Convert Amex Membership rewards into Marriott ?
Convert Southwest points into Marriott ?
Convert chase rewards points into Marriott ?
uscgto is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:20 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,017
Your work won't reimburse your hotel??

Per the T&Cs: A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
So you're limited to a week of points for purchase, unless you catch a promo as you said. Those 50k points will cost $625. Opportunity cost is the $625 + the estimated 30k points in earning you mentioned so don't forget to factor that, since that is several nights worth of 'lost' points earn.

Can't predict when/if the next point buy promo will come up unfortunately. As you mentioned, only other option is converting points since that doesn't count to the above 50k buy/gift limit.
rylan is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Posts: 92
Work provides per-diem. It's upto me how to use that.

my expenses:"
- hotels
- airlines
- parking
- rental cars
- food.
uscgto is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:47 am
  #4  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,181
What would be the value of using those points elsewhere (i.e. not for this set of work trips)? And what would you use those $1000s on if not toward this set of trips?
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:03 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
What would be the value of using those points elsewhere (i.e. not for this set of work trips)? And what would you use those $1000s on if not toward this set of trips?
category 2 hotels at remote site locations.
- those 50,000 points could be used to pay for a 5 days stay at a hotel which typically costs $95-100 at some (most )other sites or in this case to pay for a $210/ night hotel.

- I have booked vacations before where I ended up using higher redemption rates for category 6 hotels. '
uscgto is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Those 50k points will cost $625. Opportunity cost is the $625 + the estimated 30k points in earning you mentioned so don't forget to factor that, since that is several nights worth of 'lost' points earn.
This.

Your choices are really:

1) Hampton Inn: $1,003 but get 37,400 HH points --> if we value HH points at $0.005 (YMMV), then it's $1,003 - (37,400 * $0.005) --> $1,003 - $187 --> $816
2a) Townplace: $625 to buy 50,000 Bonvoy points
2b) Townplace: $1,239 but get 30,000 --> if we value Bonvoy points at $0.008 (YMMV), then it's $1,239 - (30,000 * $0.008) --> $1,239 - $240 = $999
3) La Quinta: $__

The stay/night credits may have value to you if they help you earn status. And you may prefer one of these hotels over the other.

So would you rather pay $816, $625, $999, or $__ to stay at the Hampton, Townplace, or La Quinta?
b00mer89 likes this.
Petdog is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 1:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Posts: 3,785
If you have friends or family members with accounts, they can buy points (or earn from credit card bonuses) and transfer to you. Each person can transfer a max of 100,000 to you per calendar year, but you can receive up to 500,000 points per calendar year.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:53 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 12,229
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
If you have friends or family members with accounts, they can buy points (or earn from credit card bonuses) and transfer to you. Each person can transfer a max of 100,000 to you per calendar year, but you can receive up to 500,000 points per calendar year.
Are you sure about receiving 500K pts? I thought it was max of 100K in or out. If Iím wrong, Iíd love a link to the 500K max as Iíve never seen that before. Thx
margarita girl is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,452
Really interesting thread. I've had plenty of experience with jobs where there's a cash M&IE per diem reimbursement, but never seen it on the hotel side. Is this a federal gig? If I could have had that in all my years doing govt work, I'd have slept under bridges.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:41 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Andover, MA, 01810
Posts: 1,839
Could you get a better overall deal (and make your points last longer) with points + cash ?
jonisflying and ryw like this.
UserMark is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:55 pm
  #11  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,181
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Are you sure about receiving 500K pts? I thought it was max of 100K in or out. If Iím wrong, Iíd love a link to the 500K max as Iíve never seen that before. Thx
Cut/Paste from Marriott Bonvoy's T&Cs: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least thirty (30) days with qualifying activity, ninety (90) days without qualifying activity (see 2.8.b). A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least thirty (30) days with qualifying activity, ninety (90) days without qualifying activity.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: DSM
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Petdog View Post
This.

Your choices are really:

1) Hampton Inn: $1,003 but get 37,400 HH points --> if we value HH points at $0.005 (YMMV), then it's $1,003 - (37,400 * $0.005) --> $1,003 - $187 --> $816
2a) Townplace: $625 to buy 50,000 Bonvoy points
2b) Townplace: $1,239 but get 30,000 --> if we value Bonvoy points at $0.008 (YMMV), then it's $1,239 - (30,000 * $0.008) --> $1,239 - $240 = $999
3) La Quinta: $__

The stay/night credits may have value to you if they help you earn status. And you may prefer one of these hotels over the other.

So would you rather pay $816, $625, $999, or $__ to stay at the Hampton, Townplace, or La Quinta?

I think this math is correct, however, this is the math for 5 nights. I think OP has multiple 5 night stays coming up. If that is the case, I think another factor is how many total nights there will be. Would need to see if you are able to earn status with any of the chains. Also, if you have a Marriott credit card, would supplement your points earning, offsetting some of the expense. If not, might be worth getting one since the 15 night credit from them gets you instantly to Silver, and 10% bonus points.

Possible to do a status challenge as well? Depending on total nights.
Pittie Pup likes this.
shimps1 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 182
Totally agree, shimps1. I kept it to a single five-night stay to align with the 50,000 points maximum purchase per year. Any more complications and we'd need to open Excel to do the calculations
Petdog is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:13 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Really interesting thread. I've had plenty of experience with jobs where there's a cash M&IE per diem reimbursement, but never seen it on the hotel side. Is this a federal gig? If I could have had that in all my years doing govt work, I'd have slept under bridges.
It's not unique to government, but it is common there. For instance, here's an article about NYS legislators sleeping, as you put it, under bridges:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/27/n...-diem-pay.html
Petdog is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:13 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,718
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
Work provides per-diem. It's upto me how to use that.

my expenses:"
- hotels
- airlines
- parking
- rental cars
- food.
Are you sure you understand this correctly? Per diem usually means that hotel costs are reimbursed up to the limit, not that you are given the money regardless of what your actual hotel cost is and without submitting hotel receipts. [Similarly, one is typically reimbursed for actual airfare and rental car costs (or the employer purchases and provides the plane ticket directly through the corporate travel agency.]

Don't forget that TPS earns at half of the usual rate for Bonvoy points (like RI etc.). IIRC you don't earn points on any miscellaneous spending shared to your room at TPS either.
MSPeconomist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread