Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard cashier asking guests for their room number verbally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Hi

Staying at a CY in Toronto this week.

I’ve had several restaurant room charges and noticed each time the cashier rings up a room charge they ask the guest to state their room number verbally before entering information into the cash register. When the slip prints I still need to write in my room number.

It occurred to me this morning, while listening to the lady in line ahead of me announcing her room number, that I do not think i’ve ever seen this before, and it seems very insecure.

Curious if if anyone else is experiencing this or if it is the new normal.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:52 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I never provide my room number verbally. To me, anyone asking this information is violating security protocols. I would report it to someone in charge... probably an innocent issue.... but should be corrected.

That is why I always carry my room sleeve... I show that with the room number whenever I am asked for my room number.
ryw, nequine, karenkay and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:48 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I think it's generally custom to have room numbers written (usually at checkin, they won't even say the floor number anymore, and just write the room number on the key sleeve jacket) for privacy/security reasons.

Though now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there are concierge lounges/MClubs that have an attendant at the doorway where they've verbally asked me for my room number. Usually there's not a line so there's not other people to eavesdrop, but I suppose bringing the key sleeve might be useful in this case to just show the number instead.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Pretty much every stay I’ve been verbally asked for my number by hotel staff

whats the security risk here. Someone going to break into your room? Unlikely and why would you giving your room number increase the odds of that

its not like hotels don’t have numbers on the doors so me overhearing a guest give their number as 201 is going to materially become a factor if I wanted to charge something to room 201 by just guessing the hotel has room 201

not getting the concerns here
nancypants, cre95 and muji like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I also show the key card envelope, combined with a statement that I won't say my room number aloud and I don't want them to do it either (in any language). Sometimes when you show the envelope, the person responds by saying the room number as they write it down, check it, or whatever.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s absolutely bad practice for staff to ever mention your room number and really less than ideal for them to ask you either, but it is nonetheless reasonably common. Guest privacy is predictably taken more seriously at certain hotels over others.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The corporate policy for all major hotel chains is to not speak the room number. This arises from sexual assault cases a couple of decades ago where courts have held it was negligent to speak the room number where others could possibly hear. Of course, how this filters down to someone working in a bistro at a franchise Courtyard and Ontario ... on the other hand, the folks at the Sheraton in Argentina, Marriotts in Asia, autograph in Spain, and other hotels around the world seem to get it as a general rule.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
whats the security risk here. Someone going to break into your room? Unlikely and why would you giving your room number increase the odds of that
When you're talking about safety, hotels should do everything possible to reduce the risk of a guest getting robbed, attacked, or raped. Having hotel staff verbally announcing room numbers does increase that risk, whether you want to accept that as fact or not.

For the record, I used to work in hotel, including at the Front Desk. While robberies and attacks are rare, angry spouses calling and/or showing up and demanding to know if their partner checked in happens more often than people realize. That sort of situation happens when people cheat on their spouse or when there are instances of domestic violence.

Aside from safety, announcing room numbers increased the chance of financial fraud. Many hotels allow guests to charge various things to the room solely by writing down the name and room number. (The OP seems to be describing that process.) A scammer could hang out in the front desk area where hotel staff are announcing guest room numbers and surreptitiously get the name off of luggage. They then turn around, charge something, and leave.

Last year I arrived early at a Disney World area hotel. While I waited for a room to get cleaned, I was working in the lobby next to the concierge desk. I watched the woman sell dozens of theme park tickets. Everyone charged them to the room. It appeared the only verification required looking up in the computer to see if the name and room number matched.

A scammer could have easily charged a bunch of one-day tickets and gone immediately the theme park to use them (or scalp them). While all illegal, that's not the sort of thing that would get investigated by the police if it's discovered and reported by the hotel. Police don't generally have time to deal with every case of petty theft.

TL;DR: No hotel employee should ever announce a room number.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Happens all the time in lounges!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Everywhere here in Europe I am always asked room number verbally (at breakfast, restaurant, lounges, SPA...) ....
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Unless you are thinking with the mind of a sexual predator sitting at the bar, near check in, etc. It doesn't concern me (and not meaning to sound sexist about it), but if my wife traveling alone or a female coworker were asked for room number with other hotel guests around, I wouldn't consider that a safe practice for them. Even if some weirdo just shows up at the door knocking, it's not a good thing.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s absolutely bad practice for staff to ever mention your room number and really less than ideal for them to ask you either, but it is nonetheless reasonably common. Guest privacy is predictably taken more seriously at certain hotels over others.
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Everywhere here in Europe I am always asked room number verbally (at breakfast, restaurant, lounges, SPA...) ....
I find it very common at resorts and some other hotels, especially in the restaurants. A few examples: Bangkok CY, they asked me for my room number every morning at breakfast check in. Same at the Vienna Marriott. Same at the San Juan Stellaris. In some cases, like the resorts where you get a discount but not free breakfast, it makes sense for them to apply the discount to your bill up front. For those people rightfully concerned about security, I'd suggest carrying your key sleeve (in a separate pocket from your key) to show in these cases.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A not insubstantial number of hotels leave guest lists with room numbers, status and comments lying at the breakfast check-in desk. I can think of two in the UK alone. More of a security issue than just saying a room number aloud.
JBord, Toukolou and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Unless you are thinking with the mind of a sexual predator sitting at the bar, near check in, etc. It doesn't concern me (and not meaning to sound sexist about it), but if my wife traveling alone or a female coworker were asked for room number with other hotel guests around, I wouldn't consider that a safe practice for them. Even if some weirdo just shows up at the door knocking, it's not a good thing.

I find it very common at resorts and some other hotels, especially in the restaurants. A few examples: Bangkok CY, they asked me for my room number every morning at breakfast check in. Same at the Vienna Marriott. Same at the San Juan Stellaris. In some cases, like the resorts where you get a discount but not free breakfast, it makes sense for them to apply the discount to your bill up front. For those people rightfully concerned about security, I'd suggest carrying your key sleeve (in a separate pocket from your key) to show in these cases.
id agree someone with bad intentions could overhear a room number and then follow the person but by the same token said bad actor could just as easily follow a person back to their room without knowing in advance what room they are in

best way to stay safe is immediately lock your deadbolt when you enter your room and exercise other normal precautions for public spaces
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

id agree someone with bad intentions could overhear a room number and then follow the person but by the same token said bad actor could just as easily follow a person back to their room without knowing in advance what room they are in

best way to stay safe is immediately lock your deadbolt when you enter your room and exercise other normal precautions for public spaces
Agreed. But that's unavoidable, and can happen anywhere at any time, not just a hotel. It's why I tell people not to take alleys as a shortcut in Chicago (but you'd be surprised how common it is). Also, if someone is following me from the lobby, onto the elevator, and toward my room, I'm going to notice that. They have to be making an effort to keep up because an elevator is a great separator if they don't know your room number. If someone is knocking at my door when I'm asleep an hour later and disoriented, posing as hotel staff...

Maybe I just have a paranoid, suspicious mind. I don't mind if it's one on one with a hotel employee who asks for my room number, but it's different to me when it's a bartender (definitely happens) with a lot of eavesdroppers around. It just seems like a simple layer of extra security to only ask for it in writing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:45 am

Marriott could solve this with seamless tech. An rfid reader and lcd screen that guests could tap their key card on providing the hotel employee flawless readout every single time in a secure non verbal environment

now if only the world had invented android phones and the android os allowed for nfc credential reading and if only android phones were cost affordable to issue one device to all customer facing roles

oh well too bad that tech doesn’t exist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.