Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador vs Titanium

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by net222
Don't see much difference between Ambassador vs Titanium. What benefit you use most as Ambassador, which is not available to Titanium?
The ability to email the request to a hotel without having send fax to the said hotel asking their email address
Just email the ambassador
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Too many people are thinking about Ambassador as only being about having the actual Ambassador to help you out. That was particularly important with SPG and in the pre Feb 2019 launch of Bonvoy, since Ambassador guests weren't considered a higher actual status tier.

That changed on Feb 13, 2019, with the introduction of Bonvoy. As of that date, Ambassador was not only a person to assist us but an actual higher status tier.

Once all the Bonvoy portfolio properties had their systems updated, they all now can see our Ambassador status well before we arrive. With SPG, properties had no idea about us being so "elite" and our Ambassadors had to contact properties on our behalf in order for us to get the better benefits and better elite treatment.

Not any longer. Now we no longer need to rely on our Ambassadors to contact properties on our behalf. All properties know our Ambassasor status as soon as we book; that allows them to pre-upgrade us and prepare for us in ways that weren't possible or as likely before.

That's why I already am pre-upgraded to a Macassar Suite at the Prince de Galles Paris...for our stay in October. On an award stay. My Ambassador didn't have to do anything. The hotel just saw that I am Ambassador status and a returning guest--and upgraded me.

That's why I was pre-upgraded to suites at the RC Coconut Grove, RC Georgetown, StR Bahia Beach, RC Boston, StR San Francisco, RC Bacara Santa Barbara, RC Half Moon Bay, LM Cambridge, LM Arlington, LM Philly, Sheraton Philly Univ City, FP NYC Chelsea, FP NYC Midtown, CY New Haven, Sheraton Hartford South, Ren Providence, Sheraton Boston, etc. All since Feb 13.

Ambassador status matters now. A lot.

In addition, we all have our Ambassadors to help us whenever we need them. And they've been getting a lot better for a lot of Ambassador elites as the service has reassigned better people to the program and moved less impressive people to other duties.
This varies greatly based on your travel patterns and luck.

I’m almost never upgraded in the US. Like maybe 5 nights out of 60 year to date. I almost always get the room I booked in the US, including at the StR SF a few weekends ago for a Fri-Sun stay. Outside the US, it has been pretty great, I have to admit.

I’m only harping on this because the differential experiences we seem to have as AEs seems to lead to unnecessary infighting/snarkiness on the forum at times. I know some of us have made out really well. Others haven’t. BTW I’ve missed out on almost every targeted promotion too, and have over $20k spend YTD already. I also have no points stays in over a year because in the MR era, I’ve found them almost impossible to use for triple occupancy rooms abroad (for leisure I’m always with wife and son).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by acrophobia
This varies greatly based on your travel patterns and luck.
Travel pattens and staying in hotels that are at higher occupancy or that have fewer suites in the first place (all of which allow fewer chances for upgrades) certainly play a big role. Luck--not so much IMO. Most people prefer to think they are treated poorly and/or have bad luck when they also tend to ignore the above two circumstances.

I’m almost never upgraded in the US. Like maybe 5 nights out of 60 year to date. I almost always get the room I booked in the US, including at the StR SF a few weekends ago for a Fri-Sun stay. Outside the US, it has been pretty great, I have to admit.
The StR San Francisco is at near full occupancy for most summer weekends, not surprisingly. That isn't about your Ambassador status not helping you as much as the fact that the hotel you choose has less availability for upgrades at the time of your stay.

Where are your other 60 nights at US hotels, if I may ask?

I’m only harping on this because the differential experiences we seem to have as AEs seems to lead to unnecessary infighting/snarkiness on the forum at times. I know some of us have made out really well. Others haven’t. BTW I’ve missed out on almost every targeted promotion too, and have over $20k spend YTD already.
It is most interesting to me that those in our verified group of Ambassador elites tend to have much better success than those reported here on FlyerTalk. But i can say that there are many who in our group that also don't get targeted. Of course, the only promo to which I was targeted for double elite nights was superfluous--as I would have reached my 100 nights without that by this month, anyway. So I was targeted most likely to make me "feel better" about that which I was expected to reach without it anyway. So it cost Marriott nothing. Targeting is about statistically trying to influence our behavior based on our past behavior and statistical models. It isn't personal.

I also have no points stays in over a year because in the MR era, I’ve found them almost impossible to use for triple occupancy rooms abroad (for leisure I’m always with wife and son).
Your triple occupancy requirements perhaps are better met by Hilton or Hyatt or IHG then? If not, then this issue isn't a factor where Marriott is more or less different from any other group?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
My sense is that Ambassadors get better upgrades. As Titanium, I'm getting fewer really great upgrades than I did as a Plat.
My experience traveling in Europe with a Gold member is Titanium is effectively the same as Gold + some extra points. The Gold member got offered free breakfast and an equivalent room, same welcome gifts. SNA’s did not clear yet again.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:53 pm

[left]
Travel pattens and staying in hotels that are at higher occupancy or that have fewer suites in the first place (all of which allow fewer chances for upgrades) certainly play a big role. Luck--not so much IMO. Most people prefer to think they are treated poorly and/or have bad luck when they also tend to ignore the above two circumstances.

The StR San Francisco is at near full occupancy for most summer weekends, not surprisingly. That isn't about your Ambassador status not helping you as much as the fact that the hotel you choose has less availability for upgrades at the time of your stay.

Where are your other 60 nights at US hotels, if I may ask?

It is most interesting to me that those in our verified group of Ambassador elites tend to have much better success than those reported here on FlyerTalk. But i can say that there are many who in our group that also don't get targeted. Of course, the only promo to which I was targeted for double elite nights was superfluous--as I would have reached my 100 nights without that by this month, anyway. So I was targeted most likely to make me "feel better" about that which I was expected to reach without it anyway. So it cost Marriott nothing. Targeting is about statistically trying to influence our behavior based on our past behavior and statistical models. It isn't personal.

Your triple occupancy requirements perhaps are better met by Hilton or Hyatt or IHG then? If not, then this issue isn't a factor where Marriott is more or less different from any other group?

YTD I’ve stayed at:

The Nines
Hi-Lo (Portland)
Courtyard JFK
Hotel Adagio
Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf
Park Central SF
Westin Gurgaon
ITC Rajpitana
Sheraton Grand LA
LM Barcelona
Hotel Alfonso XIII
Sheraton Midtown MSP
W MSP
Westin Costa Mesa
StR SF
Q&C (New Orleans)
Magnolia (St Louis)
Noelle (Nashville)

With a few exceptions, not much of anything in the way of special treatment at any of the US properties.

As for triple occupancy; I have no idea if it is easier or harder at those other chains. If I want I Hyatt I book in cash through one of their elite agents. I avoid Hilton. What I do know is that it was never an issue under SPG.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

YTD I’ve stayed at:

The Nines
Hi-Lo (Portland)
Courtyard JFK
Hotel Adagio
Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf
Park Central SF
Westin Gurgaon
ITC Rajpitana
Sheraton Grand LA
LM Barcelona
Hotel Alfonso XIII
Sheraton Midtown MSP
W MSP
Westin Costa Mesa
StR SF
Q&C (New Orleans)
Magnolia (St Louis)
Noelle (Nashville)

With a few exceptions, not much of anything in the way of special treatment at any of the US properties.

As for triple occupancy; I have no idea if it is easier or harder at those other chains. If I want I Hyatt I book in cash through one of their elite agents. I avoid Hilton. What I do know is that it was never an issue under SPG.
You've largely stayed at hotels with very few suites proportionally (or even in absolute number). So it's not exactly surprising that you've had so few suite upgrades.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
My experience traveling in Europe with a Gold member is Titanium is effectively the same as Gold + some extra points. The Gold member got offered free breakfast and an equivalent room, same welcome gifts. SNA’s did not clear yet again.
The Gold Elite member was lucky. The published benefits for Gold Elite do not include a Platinum Welcome Gift or breakfast. Those benefits are for Platinum Elite and higher (and vary by brand).

If you had written, "Titanium Elite is effectively the same as Platinum Elite + some extra points," that would usually be true.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Yeah I understand but it happened more than once, I’ve also been underwhelmed this year and I think Marriott has an issue “differentiating” Titanium. It’s all marketing, with very little on the ground incremental benefits over Platinum or even what you might get as a Gold. Don’t kid yourself.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah I understand but it happened more than once, I’ve also been underwhelmed this year and I think Marriott has an issue “differentiating” Titanium. It’s all marketing, with very little on the ground incremental benefits over Platinum or even what you might get as a Gold. Don’t kid yourself.
As a Titanium, I totally disagree. My upgrades are 100% over the room booked whether revenue or award nights. Many of those upgrades were to suites and some to suites that would be excluded from the SNA pool. I had 100% success in applying 5 SNA from last year; never have I been declined on a request. I also frquently get hand written notes of thanks along with a gift that is in my room upon arrival ranging from chocolates & fruit to French Champagne & macaroons. Post acquisition, pre-merger, I almost walked away. pm-SPG properties were the worst for me during that time and I avoided them. Now they are usually my first choice.

James
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am kind of "Meh" overall. I do have a pretty good ambassador, and on a rare personal stay he did arrange for a welcome bottle of wine and an early check in. For my normal stays (many, many nights at limited service hotels), there really is no difference.

Overall, the additional benefit for the required spend seems pretty weak. I would be happier if the "Your 24" benefit was guaranteed, and not up to the whims of the hotel. The one time I really needed it, they said no.
acrophobia and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:49 am

You've largely stayed at hotels with very few suites proportionally (or even in absolute number). So it's not exactly surprising that you've had so few suite upgrades.
I understand that, which is why I attributed lack of upgrades largely to travel patterns above. That said, I’ve realized few other benefits of the AE status in the US (again, very different story outside the US). No special treatment, no goodies in the room, nothing proactive from Ambassador, no special promos, etc. I get that you and others are happy with your experiences. Great. It’s been a little lackluster for a lot of us too.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I understand that, which is why I attributed lack of upgrades largely to travel patterns above. That said, I’ve realized few other benefits of the AE status in the US (again, very different story outside the US). No special treatment, no goodies in the room, nothing proactive from Ambassador, no special promos, etc. I get that you and others are happy with your experiences. Great. It’s been a little lackluster for a lot of us too.
I encourage you to join us as previously mentioned so you can see for yourself that my very positive experience is hardly unique. I also encourage you, as we do often do in the verified group, to speak with your Ambassador about your disappointments and discuss how those can be remedied. If that doesn’t work, then asking for a change of Ambassador is absolutely appropriate.

It’s also worth noting that not so great hotels are the actual culprit when not getting special treatment or goodies in the room. That isn’t about your Ambassador but is about your hotels not executing on your obvious Ambassador status. All hotels now know well in advance that we are Ambassador status...so any misses at the hotel are because the hotels aren’t executing on their end what they should be doing and have NOTHING to do with anything your Ambassador did or didn’t do.

Most people wrongly scapegoat their Ambassador for the shortcomings of the less than impressive hotels at which they stay. I think you also may be guilty of this without realizing it.

As for special promos, this has little to do with elite status. Those are about getting people to change their stay behavior or to reinforce the behavior that Marriott’s algorithm believes accurately will help their business.
Newman and andrewstahl like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

I encourage you to join us as previously mentioned so you can see for yourself that my very positive experience is hardly unique. I also encourage you, as we do often do in the verified group, to speak with your Ambassador about your disappointments and discuss how those can be remedied. If that doesn’t work, then asking for a change of Ambassador is absolutely appropriate.

It’s also worth noting that not so great hotels are the actual culprit when not getting special treatment or goodies in the room. That isn’t about your Ambassador but is about your hotels not executing on your obvious Ambassador status. All hotels now know well in advance that we are Ambassador status...so any misses at the hotel are because the hotels aren’t executing on their end what they should be doing and have NOTHING to do with anything your Ambassador did or didn’t do.
Do you think travelling solo make any differences ?
I mean, travelling as couple might be treated a bit better as hotel try to please elites who have special occasion trips.
Couples can have their honeymoon, wedding anniversary and so on.
Yet single traveler definitely not on any honeymoon or any wedding anniversary and mostly will be considered as business stays by the hotel

Around 80% of my stays were for myself only.
I wonder if this the cause of the not so great experience I got so far.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I’ve been generally pleased with my Ambassador status. I had a couple of blips early on, but have found my Ambassador quite helpful in resolving account discrepancies, of which there have been several. I’ve had only one SNA request declined, and with or without SNA’s, have had some wonderful, above-and-beyond upgrades.
My main disappointment has been Your24, for which I am 0 for 2 (I’ve only asked when I REALLY wanted it) and which, I’ve gathered from my Ambassador, have proven elusive for her clients generally.
Without having any Titanium experience as such, I can’t really compare, but am generally content.
andrewstahl and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rfrost
I’ve been generally pleased with my Ambassador status. I had a couple of blips early on, but have found my Ambassador quite helpful in resolving account discrepancies, of which there have been several. I’ve had only one SNA request declined, and with or without SNA’s, have had some wonderful, above-and-beyond upgrades.
My main disappointment has been Your24, for which I am 0 for 2 (I’ve only asked when I REALLY wanted it) and which, I’ve gathered from my Ambassador, have proven elusive for her clients generally.
Without having any Titanium experience as such, I can’t really compare, but am generally content.
I am more than content with being Titanium. So much so that I worry that, based on many data points, an Ambassador might be a let down.

I will be at the Westin LAX tonight for a 2 night stay. Interestingly, the Presidential Suite was in the SNA pool. I didn't apply SNAs for this trip. I was already pre-upgraded to a high-floor Executive Lounge Access room before check-in.

I also received a pre-arrival e-mail from the Westin Experience Manager to which I replied providing my travel itinerary, expected arrival time and that I wouldn't require a late check-out with my early departure for a morning flight out of LAX.

This is a unique stay. I won't get into all the details but upon presentation of them, I received a follow up e-mail and was further upgraded to a Deluxe Corner Suite, Larger Suite, 1 King, Corner room. I am not sure an Ambassador, as an intermediary, would have effected the same result.

I have also been pre-upgraded to a Deluxe Harbour View room at the CY Hong Kong for my 3-night stay next week.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.