FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   No bed available; compensation suggestion? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1982932-no-bed-available-compensation-suggestion.html)

laangelsfan Aug 14, 2019 7:27 am

No bed available; compensation suggestion?

Last night I found myself in an unusual situation at a Marriott. I had to work very late (3am) and to ensure I wasn’t marked as a no show, I called the hotel around 10pm and told them I would still be checking in but later, and they indicated no issues. When I arrived at the hotel around 3am, the front desk receptionist indicated there was an issue, and that there were no rooms with beds available, however they had put me in a “hospitality suite” with a pull out sofa for the night (and that tomorrow I could switch to a normal room). She said they were fully sold out otherwise. I asked about other hotels which she was relatively clueless about I couldn’t see availability in the app for last night because it was already 3am and the app at that point only shows you nights for the “next” day. They offered to comp the room (which is being covered by my work), and I told them I wanted points but didn’t get into the details. I probably would’ve put up a bigger fuss or just left but it was so late/early and I didn’t have a car. So I accepted the room and got to my room to find the pullout sofa, but with no pillows and no comforter, just a thin blanket on it. At this point I didn’t want to deal with going back down for a pillow so I just used a towel for a pillow and went to sleep (which was quite poor).

I’m a Titanium elite but had to book this reservation about 28 hours ahead of the normal check in time. I’m not sure “Ultimate Night Guarantee” applies here since I didn’t officially get walked but I certainly didn’t get my room type or a reasonable room with a bed. I plan to speak to the manager today but wanted to solicit thoughts on compensation (hoping in the form of points). To me it was so odd to even put me in a room like this but to also not have things on the bed or in the room (pillows) was the frustrating icing on the cake.

GrayAnderson Aug 14, 2019 7:38 am

I think you should be able to get a (significant) goodwill gesture at least. Might want to make sure you can show them the call in your cell phone log.

EuropeanPete Aug 14, 2019 7:45 am

In this case I think there is an argument that you were essentially walked. You didn’t get any kind of bedroom (or bed). I’d go for the full guarantee as it is probably at the top end of possible compensation.

Kacee Aug 14, 2019 7:46 am

They should comp you the night or give 1 night's worth of points. That's what a well managed property would do.

EuropeanPete Aug 14, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31415012)
They should comp you the night or give 1 night's worth of points. That's what a well managed property would do.

I’d expect a bit more personally, and I’m genuinely not on the demanding side by standards of people on FT!

GrayAnderson Aug 14, 2019 7:56 am

Yeah...I'd say not charging you for the night and giving you a night's points, possibly plus a few thousand (since these are Marriott and not Starwood...sigh...points), seems fair (given that this wasn't even a "proper" walk and they couldn't be arsed to get you proper handling for the bed). If they had pulled the bed out, provided a blanked, and had a good pillow that would be one thing...but yeah, this was a bungled "walk".

By the way, what chain was it (within the family)?

hhoope01 Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

The Ultimate Guarantee doesn't apply, but the Guaranteed Room type does apply. Assuming you didn't make the reservation the same day you checked-in and that your Bonvoy elite # was in the reservation, you should receive somewhere between $25 to $100 depending on the hotel brand. Most FS brands must pay out $100 for not providing you the bed-type in your reservation. Marriott T&Cs section 4.3.c.vii

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Of course that doesn't preclude you from "negotiating" with the property for something different that may better satisfy both sides.

laangelsfan Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 31415058)
By the way, what chain was it (within the family)?

This was a proper Marriott.

GrayAnderson Aug 14, 2019 8:19 am

Yeah, I feel like gunning for 90k points and $200 would be overkill. Not a bad ask (given that you were told at 2200 that the space was still ready) but feels a little on the "rich" side to me.

Flying for Fun Aug 14, 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by laangelsfan (Post 31414942)
[...]

So I accepted the room and got to my room to find the pullout sofa, but with no pillows and no comforter, just a thin blanket on it. At this point I didn’t want to deal with going back down for a pillow so I just used a towel for a pillow and went to sleep (which was quite poor).

[...]

In my experience, rooms that have a sofa bed are sheeted & have a thin blanket on them as you described. The Duvet & Pillows are in a zippered bag in the closet. Something to check for next time.

James

myperks Aug 14, 2019 11:00 am

Although it may not qualify for the 90k plus $200 by the terms of the guarantee, I feel that a proper bed is one of the most important things I look for overnighting in a hotel whether it’s a king, queen, or twin, heck, I might even take a Murphy bed. But sofa beds as the main sleeping furniture in the room seems like a no go for me. I’d push for something more than $100 guarantee (which you are entitled to) and maybe some points.

arlflyer Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 31415161)
Yeah, I feel like gunning for 90k points and $200 would be overkill. Not a bad ask (given that you were told at 2200 that the space was still ready) but feels a little on the "rich" side to me.

The 75 nights that OP has spent with Marriott to earn Titanium certainly were worth plenty more than 90k points and $200. If MR can't guarantee the OP a bed to sleep in, then that's pretty good grounds for him to take those nights elsewhere. I don't think this ask is too much in return for restoring OP's trust and making things right.

Also, OP, if this was for work, did this involve a negotiated or corporate rate? That might be an angle as well which could apply significant leverage.

MSPeconomist Aug 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Did this hospitality room have a full bathroom or just a powder room or even public lavatory down the hall?

GeezerCouple Aug 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by laangelsfan (Post 31414942)
Last night I found myself in an unusual situation at a Marriott. I had to work very late (3am) and to ensure I wasn’t marked as a no show, I called the hotel around 10pm and told them I would still be checking in but later, and they indicated no issues. When I arrived at the hotel around 3am, the front desk receptionist indicated there was an issue, and that there were no rooms with beds available, however they had put me in a “hospitality suite” with a pull out sofa for the night (and that tomorrow I could switch to a normal room). She said they were fully sold out otherwise. I asked about other hotels which she was relatively clueless about I couldn’t see availability in the app for last night because it was already 3am and the app at that point only shows you nights for the “next” day. They offered to comp the room (which is being covered by my work), and I told them I wanted points but didn’t get into the details. I probably would’ve put up a bigger fuss or just left but it was so late/early and I didn’t have a car. So I accepted the room and got to my room to find the pullout sofa, but with no pillows and no comforter, just a thin blanket on it. At this point I didn’t want to deal with going back down for a pillow so I just used a towel for a pillow and went to sleep (which was quite poor).

I’m a Titanium elite but had to book this reservation about 28 hours ahead of the normal check in time. I’m not sure “Ultimate Night Guarantee” applies here since I didn’t officially get walked but I certainly didn’t get my room type or a reasonable room with a bed. I plan to speak to the manager today but wanted to solicit thoughts on compensation (hoping in the form of points). To me it was so odd to even put me in a room like this but to also not have things on the bed or in the room (pillows) was the frustrating icing on the cake.

You certainly shouldn't have needed to go "back down for a pillow" or proper duvet, but it would have been appropriate for you to call the front desk, and have them expedite delivery to your room, be it by housekeeping or a front desk person, etc.

GC

Bravada04 Aug 15, 2019 6:06 am

Compensation for sure!! I would be livid to show up to the hotel after a phone call advising them of the same and they give me pretty much a couch to sleep on! Seriously.