Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Received points and stay credit I cancelled?

Old Aug 14, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold

Due to an emergency, had to cancel a prepaid reservation. Called hotel to cancel, but apparently no one did anything - was offered to check-in by email and app.

Cancelled reservation on the Marriott app, right before the deadline so I could at least recover 10% of the payment, per reservation rules. Have cancellation email.

Received a post-stay template email - "Tell us about your stay...", which got me annoyed.

Was just about to call Marriott, but checked my account first - received unexpected stay credit and points.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
They points may stick, or they may get clawed back. And don't bet your status on keeping the stay credit.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I had a similar issue with this two years back with Hilton (I cancelled a room online; it was a non-refundable-after-24-hours reservation but I cancelled within 24 hours).

In my case, it took a lengthy fight with my credit card to "force off" the resulting charges. The hotel ended up losing because they claimed that I had checked in (I did not, and I had a demonstrated check-in at another hotel in another city), so I suspect the CC decided "you lie, you lose". So if you've got the call in a log (say, with your cell phone company) and a decent CC you might be able to hit them for a chargeback...particularly given the false check-in if you can demonstrate you were elsewhere.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
They points may stick, or they may get clawed back. And don't bet your status on keeping the stay credit.
Noted

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
I had a similar issue with this two years back with Hilton (I cancelled a room online; it was a non-refundable-after-24-hours reservation but I cancelled within 24 hours).

In my case, it took a lengthy fight with my credit card to "force off" the resulting charges. The hotel ended up losing because they claimed that I had checked in (I did not, and I had a demonstrated check-in at another hotel in another city), so I suspect the CC decided "you lie, you lose". So if you've got the call in a log (say, with your cell phone company) and a decent CC you might be able to hit them for a chargeback...particularly given the false check-in if you can demonstrate you were elsewhere.
I am not asking for $ back, at least not all of it. I cancelled a reservation where I was charged 100% of the rate shortly after booking. The cancellation is voluntary and I was looking to recovery 10%. Pleasantly surprised with points/stay credit prior to the 10% inquiry.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
@Repooc17:
Fair point. Your initial statement implied that you had carried out a cancellation subject to the T&C allowing you to do so without penalty (which was my situation), hence my phrasing.

Search this Thread