Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Received points and stay credit I cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Due to an emergency, had to cancel a prepaid reservation. Called hotel to cancel, but apparently no one did anything - was offered to check-in by email and app.

Cancelled reservation on the Marriott app, right before the deadline so I could at least recover 10% of the payment, per reservation rules. Have cancellation email.

Received a post-stay template email - "Tell us about your stay...", which got me annoyed.

Was just about to call Marriott, but checked my account first - received unexpected stay credit and points.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They points may stick, or they may get clawed back. And don't bet your status on keeping the stay credit.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I had a similar issue with this two years back with Hilton (I cancelled a room online; it was a non-refundable-after-24-hours reservation but I cancelled within 24 hours).

In my case, it took a lengthy fight with my credit card to "force off" the resulting charges. The hotel ended up losing because they claimed that I had checked in (I did not, and I had a demonstrated check-in at another hotel in another city), so I suspect the CC decided "you lie, you lose". So if you've got the call in a log (say, with your cell phone company) and a decent CC you might be able to hit them for a chargeback...particularly given the false check-in if you can demonstrate you were elsewhere.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They points may stick, or they may get clawed back. And don't bet your status on keeping the stay credit.
Noted ^

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I had a similar issue with this two years back with Hilton (I cancelled a room online; it was a non-refundable-after-24-hours reservation but I cancelled within 24 hours).

In my case, it took a lengthy fight with my credit card to "force off" the resulting charges. The hotel ended up losing because they claimed that I had checked in (I did not, and I had a demonstrated check-in at another hotel in another city), so I suspect the CC decided "you lie, you lose". So if you've got the call in a log (say, with your cell phone company) and a decent CC you might be able to hit them for a chargeback...particularly given the false check-in if you can demonstrate you were elsewhere.
I am not asking for $ back, at least not all of it. I cancelled a reservation where I was charged 100% of the rate shortly after booking. The cancellation is voluntary and I was looking to recovery 10%. Pleasantly surprised with points/stay credit prior to the 10% inquiry.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
@Repooc17:
Fair point. Your initial statement implied that you had carried out a cancellation subject to the T&C allowing you to do so without penalty (which was my situation), hence my phrasing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.