FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points by Sheraton Qingdao, Chengyang [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1982486-four-points-sheraton-qingdao-chengyang-master-thread.html)

littlevoices Aug 11, 19 5:38 am

Four Points by Sheraton Qingdao, Chengyang [Master Thread]

Looks like I am the first flyertalker to stay at this hotel (or at least share that I did), so here's a few observations. Our stay was actually a short one - essentially our flight was delayed by eight hours due to a Typhoon heading through China, taking us well past our "late check-out" from the Westin Qingdao. Hence we decided to spend a few hours here, knowing there might be a risk we had to return if the flight was cancelled or moved to the next day. We chose the Four Points primarily as the hotel was only 3.5km from the airport (as the crow flies, 15 minutes in a taxi) and my corporate rate was dirt cheap (less than 60USD), whereas the Westin wanted nearly 200USD for an extended night.

The hotel is massive, but appears to be in the middle of a big group of low rise buildings. The nearby shopping centre, which our room had a full view of, seemed fairly cheap/local and didn't look like something that would bring you to the hotel. Check-in was smooth and swift, with no problems that I had booked the hotel online, done on-line check-in and arrived all within an hour. Turns out this hotel is one of the Courtyards that has an executive lounge, hence we were invited to happy hour. There was also a nice large looking Local Brews pub, which looked like it could be pleasant enough to spend an hour or two in eating/drinking.

My cheapest room was automatically upgraded to an executive floor room, with a welcome bowl of fruit (no suite), standard enough room with a bed, shower, comfy chair and desk. I appreciate with no notice of my stay there may not have been time for any pre-planned upgrade. I can't imagine many Titanitum members stay here.

Due to my status I was able to see the executive lounge happy hour, which was a fairly local affair (i.e. tuned for a Chinese palette), but would embarrass a US based Marriott lounge: Beers, some spirits and (really poor) white wine to drink, a good selection of deserts (mini bakery/sweet things, fruit), along with some hot food (mostly very local Chinese style like boiled pumpkin, but also some hash browns) along with cold dishes (salad, salmon bruschetta). There was a lot of space in the lounge, though it did remind me a little of a Chinese airport lounge (with better food), it being on the second floor with a view of the hotel entrance and similar.

Due to our early departure we didn't get to see breakfast, but the one in the lounge looked like it would have a fairly substantial spread, with plenty of space to eat in, as they'd left out the space and the labels for breakfast in the evening.

I can't imagine I'd come back because the location is in the middle of nowhere and over an hour from the city centre in a taxi, but at least I've been here once...

RedSun Aug 11, 19 7:36 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 31403288)
Looks like I am the first flyertalker to stay at this hotel (or at least share that I did), so here's a few observations. Our stay was actually a short one - essentially our flight was delayed by eight hours due to a Typhoon heading through China, taking us well past our "late check-out" from the Westin Qingdao. Hence we decided to spend a few hours here, knowing there might be a risk we had to return if the flight was cancelled or moved to the next day. We chose the Four Points primarily as the hotel was only 3.5km from the airport (as the crow flies, 15 minutes in a taxi) and my corporate rate was dirt cheap (less than 60USD), whereas the Westin wanted nearly 200USD for an extended night.

I know you copied the hotel name from Marriott, but it is not very descriptive. "ChengYang" is the District name and no one cares to know it. The province name is Shandong. Not sure if Chengyang name is even necessary.

There are already 10 Marriott hotels in Qingdao and it appears to be part of the hotel over building. Qingdao is a nice sea side vacation city. But it is not a large commercial hub. So the room prices will be low and can be much lower during the cold off-peak season. So we can be lucky to enjoy the stay with very low cost. I'm not sure if the hotels can turn profit with Chinese economy slowing down.

littlevoices Aug 11, 19 7:55 am

Thanks for the reply RedSun, sounds like you're a local? The hotel is still branding itself as being in Qingdao, just like the nearby TAO airport, a 15CNY taxi away, there was also a free shuttle to the airport twice a day at 07:15 and 10:00 I noticed.

But yes, can't imagine the marriott brand would be enough to tempt people here. The main restaurant was offering unlimited bimimbam for 38CNY on weekday lunchtimes, so clearly its a competitive local market.

RedSun Aug 11, 19 8:30 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 31403506)
Thanks for the reply RedSun, sounds like you're a local? The hotel is still branding itself as being in Qingdao, just like the nearby TAO airport, a 15CNY taxi away, there was also a free shuttle to the airport twice a day at 07:15 and 10:00 I noticed.

But yes, can't imagine the marriott brand would be enough to tempt people here. The main restaurant was offering unlimited bimimbam for 38CNY on weekday lunchtimes, so clearly its a competitive local market.

I'm not local there. Some of the local hotels just want to load international brand name to it to get recognition. There are many more local hotels that local people frequent and they are even much cheaper. Along the coastal cities, there is also a huge vacation home market. Some of the vacation home owners just go to the apartment for two weeks to a month over the year. If the AirBnB market is open, I do not know how those hotels can have local business.

The market for foreign travel is not large. I think they try to develop tourist group trips with cruises etc., particularly from countries like Japan and South Korea.