Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

I’ve realised I don’t have enough points and it’s 14 days before my stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I’ve realised I don’t have enough points and it’s 14 days before my stay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m glad it worked out for our OP. That being said, I’d hate to see award inventory ever held up by people speculating with such award stays. I’d expect it fairer to restrict the number of award stays at any property that can be held in such advance fashion without necessary points to avoid the possible speculation.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by bhrubin
That being said, I’d hate to see award inventory ever held up by people speculating with such award stays. I’d expect it fairer to restrict the number of award stays at any property that can be held in such advance fashion without necessary points to avoid the possible speculation.
One could also throw "restrict the number of award stays any Bonvoy member can speculatively hold without having the points" into the pot too.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
One could also throw "restrict the number of award stays any Bonvoy member can speculatively hold without having the points" into the pot too.
I think we're saying the same thing! Perhaps my post wasn't as clear as yours.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:56 pm

I’m certain this IT change in the system is at the bottom of Marriott’s list of things to consider. If anything, they probably just scrap the points advance program.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Apart from for those of us who don’t use it. We end up with less chance of getting the aspirational rooms we want because a few people have gone and booked every possible combination.
Would happily trade Points Advance for the old SPG redemptions for upgraded rooms. A lot of times a high-category room was available for a tiny point premium, and at many properties that significantly increased the chances of a nice suite upgrade.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Perhaps limiting the number of stays (or number of points worth of stays) you can have held on advance would make more sense? Effectively a "credit limit", probably tied to some mix of your status with Marriott and perhaps bumped by which CCs you have? A points cap probably makes the most sense...the ratio in points cost from an off-peak Category 1 hotel to a peak Category 8 hotel is 20:1, so someone staying at a bunch of lower-end hotels could easily end up having anywhere from (say) 5-20x the number of nights/stays reserved as someone splashing out at a high-end hotel in peak season.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There are other threads that debate the issue of Points Advance, so we probably shouldn't take this one off topic into that realm.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There are other threads that debate this issue, so we probably shouldn't take this one off topic into that realm.
Eh, OP's issue has been dealt with so keeping the thread overly focused seems pointless.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
We could discuss the weather.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m glad it worked out for our OP. That being said, I’d hate to see award inventory ever held up by people speculating with such award stays. I’d expect it fairer to restrict the number of award stays at any property that can be held in such advance fashion without necessary points to avoid the possible speculation.
Your wish is heard by Marriott!

There are limit of 3 of point advance booking starting on 14 September
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Your wish is heard by Marriott!

There are limit of 3 of point advance booking starting on 14 September
I saw that. Good news for most of us, IMO. No one should be speculating on more than 2-3 ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.