Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Conference’ password for my car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
@Xeno, here's one way to get it done:

1) Install Network Analyzer on your iPad. The free version is sufficient.
I like your solution, but network analyzer says mac addresses are not available in ios 11 and newer. (Apple won't let the apps get the info from the OS ARP table for privacy reasons.)

https://support.netanalyzer.techet.n...e-under-ios-11

?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I like your solution, but network analyzer says mac addresses are not available in ios 11 and newer. (Apple won't let the apps get the info from the OS ARP table for privacy reasons.)

https://support.netanalyzer.techet.n...e-under-ios-11

?
That is true when you attempt to get mac address of other devices on a LAN that the iOS device is also connected to. However, in the configuration I provided steps for, the iPad is the router and Network Analyzer does show the mac addresses of devices connected to it. In other words, you can no longer spy on your neighbors but you can spy on your tenants

Give it a try and let me know if you see something different. My test was with an iPhone running 12.2 and a Windows 10 laptop.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Xeno
Are you saying this as a blanket statement including watches?
Properly setup public use WiFI should have client isolation enabled to prevent communication between devices. This is leading practice.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not sure I'm the only one wondering, but I'm willing to be the only one stupid enough to ask:

Is it worth it?

What do you do when you go to the grocery store or the mall or your doctor's appointment or wherever...are you a paranoid wreck?
Yeah, hey here's a tip, if you have anxiety, how about trying not having anxiety??? Duh. It's so easy! No need to thank me.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Yeah, hey here's a tip, if you have anxiety, how about trying not having anxiety??? Duh. It's so easy! No need to thank me.
Don't tell me, I have no anxiety at all about my 2002 Volvo, tell the OP.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:57 am

yeah that one just sailed right by ya, didn't it?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
@Xeno, here's one way to get it done:

1) Install Network Analyzer on your iPad. The free version is sufficient.
2) Set up your iPad as a WiFi hotspot. Be sure sure to record the existing password or set one that's easier to enter on the dashcam.
3) Connect to the iPad WiFi hotspot from your dashcam (you'll need to enter the password from #2 )
4) Start Network Analyzer, select the LAN function (second from the left on my iPhone--iPad may be different), click Scan to get the list of devices on your hotspot. Scan should find two devices, one being the iPad, the other should be the dashcam.
5) Record the Mac address of the dashcam (it should a 20 or so characters-long alphanumeric string)
6) Turn off the WiFi hotspot and uninstall Network Analyzer if you don't want to keep it.
7) While still in the car, call Marriott Tech Support and tell them you are trying to connect a device to the Marriott guest WiFi, that you can't get the log in screen, but that you have the Mac address. If he/she asks, you may need to reveal that the device is a WiFi camera (although these days, it could have been some sort of medical device such as an Apnea machine) . But you probably shouldn't volunteer that the device is in the car.
8) Check that everything is working while still in the car then go back to your room and enjoy.
I just spoke to the manager on duty. She does not think Marriott has a policy forbidding access of certain devices like a dash cam to their Wifi.

When I asked about generating a password, she said that was she they did not the ability to do. She said Internet is all off site and she gave me a phone number to call to see how they would respond.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

At what point does the time and effort expended exceed the benefit (allegedly) received?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
At what point does the time and effort expended exceed the benefit (allegedly) received?
I am often distracted by the investment made to learn things about travel and technology, but once solutions are found they often serve to inform countless encounters.

The work that propels me for all this travel is a totally unrelated science so having a PhD does not shield me from coming to various forums as a novice.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Newman
As long as you're trying to get free access to the conference WiFi (for which the conference organizers paid a fee), how about dropping by the conference room around noon and help yourself to a free lunch.

Newman

While the first post or 2 by the OP, were not very clear, it was made perfectly clear by the time you posted, what exactly he was looking to do. Here's a hint...it wasn't accessing free conference WiFi. That was simply one possible solution to his inquiry. Maybe go back and read up before posting your snide, trying to be funny but failed miserably, remark.
estnet, Tanic, ksucats and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lehava
And to go a step further if it is this important why wouldn't you choose a hotel with a valet or secured parking
Or rent a car for traveling.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:44 pm

When I asked about generating a password, she said that was she they did not the ability to do. She said Internet is all off site and she gave me a phone number to call to see how they would respond.
You need to call the support people and give them the mac address of the device per the instructions above. Did you try to do that? They (the support people) should be able to add it to the guest network manually and you will be able to bypass the login screen at that point. They should ask you when you are checking out so they can add it for the number of days you need.

-David
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You need to call the support people and give them the mac address of the device per the instructions above. Did you try to do that? They (the support people) should be able to add it to the guest network manually and you will be able to bypass the login screen at that point. They should ask you when you are checking out so they can add it for the number of days you need.

-David
Earlier today I called the company that handles Marriott IT issues. Unfortunately, lacking the proper tools - my iPad Pro 3 is Wifi only - it does not seem possible for me to capture the MAC address before checking out in the morning. I will pursue this once back at my office, but here is a description of my phone conversation with the IT company used by Marriott.

It was a very pleasant conversation. First I was told that the “isolation protocol” would likely limit the BV, but it was never clear to me that dash cams are in fact ruled out.
Then I was told they could not generate passwords - as they only help people with login in complications - that only a hotel manager, perhaps being the head hotel manager or perhaps the person over sales for conferences could generate password for a specific hotel.
The person I called then asked if I knew the BV MAC address. I told them that I was just to learn how to capture the BV MAC address. I told them I would call back if my attempts were successful.
In any event, the IT person i talked to said that once I could capture the BV MAC address they would talk to me about trying to rig the connection I have been seeking.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:02 pm

You have an iPhone, right? Do it on your iPhone.

How do you connect to the camera now? If it's via an app, and you don't have to be on the same wifi network, it's probably connecting through an intermediate server. My guess anyway. And if that's true, then it might work.

If you have to be on same wifi network to connect to it, then yeah, the isolation thing probably comes into play.

-David
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I am often distracted by the investment made to learn things about travel and technology, but once solutions are found they often serve to inform countless encounters.

The work that propels me for all this travel is a totally unrelated science so having a PhD does not shield me from coming to various forums as a novice.
I don't believe that you answered my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.