Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Conference’ password for my car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Lehava
And to go a step further if it is this important why wouldn't you choose a hotel with a valet or secured parking
I personally do not trust valet and some forms of ‘secured parking’. Fortunately, most of my travel is international travel and these driving trips are rare.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s a bit mean to pile in on the OP, but I have to admit to wondering what he would do if he saw someone messing with his car. Maybe this is the paranoid of a non-American here, but I would never rush an American criminal over anything less than someone else’s wellbeing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s a bit mean to pile in on the OP, but I have to admit to wondering what he would do if he saw someone messing with his car. Maybe this is the paranoid of a non-American here, but I would never rush an American criminal over anything less than someone else’s wellbeing.
If the process worked according to form, the idea would be to attempt to stop a theft by using remote control that allows me to honk the horn and flash lights. If the car is stolen, then at least I have a video record of what happened to submit to my insurance company.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:35 pm

The support desk might be able to add the device manually. Can you figure out the MAC address of the device (hardware address, may be printed on a label on the device? But I guess if it's built in to the car, you might not be able to even access it?) And the assigned IP address might also help if the device will display it. If not they should be able to figure out the assigned IP address given the MAC address of the device. Just tell them you have a device that doesn't display the login screen or something like that.

If you don't know the mac address of the device, a router you own and can manage might be able to help you display it.

-David
Xeno, dtremit and ryw like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 10, 2019 at 6:44 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The support desk might be able to add the device manually. Can you figure out the MAC address of the device (hardware address, may be printed on a label on the device)? And the assigned IP address might also help if the device will display it. If not they should be able to figure out the assigned IP address given the MAC address of the device.

-David
Thanks. Those who ride high above my tech level tell me if I had a laptop rather than an iPad Pro 3 that I could spoof the MAC address and go from there.

If you think this works with iOS devices, I can connect via the BV WiFi and see what kind of MAC address shows up in my iPhone settings.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Thanks. Those who ride high above my tech level tell me if I had a laptop rather than an iPad Pro 3 that I could spoof the MAC address and go from there.

If you think this works with iOS devices, I can connect via the BV WiFi and see what kind of MAC address shows up in my iPhone settings.
You need a mac or a router to figure it out. I don't think you can do it with an iPad. You could enable a personal hotspot on an iPhone, but I don't know if it will show you the devices mac address or not. Do you connect with it at home to your own wifi network?

-David
Xeno likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I personally do not trust valet and some forms of ‘secured parking’. Fortunately, most of my travel is international travel and these driving trips are rare.
I'm genuinely curious, since I will never ever own a car of that value...when you are at home in OKC, what is it like? Do you stress every moment you are out and about? Or do you have an old beater that you use for everyday?

I'm not sure we even know where you are right now with your car...how far from OKC...
cawhite, cre95 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

You need a mac or a router to figure it out. I don't think you can do it with an iPad. You could enable a personal hotspot on an iPhone, but I don't know if it will show you the devices mac address or not. Do you connect with it at home to your own wifi network?

-David
I do connect my BV to not only my home Wifi, but also office and various other WiFis.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:53 pm

If the process worked according to form, the idea would be to attempt to stop a theft by using remote control that allows me to honk the horn and flash lights. If the car is stolen, then at least I have a video record of what happened to submit to my insurance company.
so do you watch the streaming video the whole night? Or does your dash cam notify you when there is motion sensed? Just trying to wrap my head around if it’s easier to just sleep in the car rather then constantly watching a video feed.

At at some point, it’s probably easier to just rent a car for the road trip.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:53 pm

I do connect my BV to not only my home Wifi, but also office and various other WiFis.
If you can access your home routers management pages, you should be able to get a list of connected devices and narrow down the one for the car to figure it out for next time.

-----

There's really no reason to attack the OP in this thread .. they just want to know if it's possible to do this or not.

-David
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you can access your home routers management pages, you should be able to get a list of connected devices and narrow down the one for the car to figure it out for next time.

-----

There's really no reason to attack the OP in this thread .. they just want to know if it's possible to do this or not.

-David
And I really would like to know what life with a car like this is like on a day to day basis. I'm not attacking him. It's a glimpse into something I'll never experience and I really want to know.
cawhite and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I suspect it may be something that an IT person could do (if any were working at the hotel). It may be similar to my trying to connect a chromecast device - that device cannot "sign in" but the IT person can add the MAC address into their system and then I can use it as if I had signed in. Maybe not since your device can login but just a thought.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
I suspect it may be something that an IT person could do (if any were working at the hotel). It may be similar to my trying to connect a chromecast device - that device cannot "sign in" but the IT person can add the MAC address into their system and then I can use it as if I had signed in. Maybe not since your device can login but just a thought.
A manager comes in tomorrow so I will get another take on their policy. I asked the night clerk and he simply did not understand the IT issue much less local manager policy although he claimed we were only allowed 3 devices on the Marriott Guest Wifi.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
@Xeno, here's one way to get it done:

1) Install Network Analyzer on your iPad. The free version is sufficient.
2) Set up your iPad as a WiFi hotspot. Be sure sure to record the existing password or set one that's easier to enter on the dashcam.
3) Connect to the iPad WiFi hotspot from your dashcam (you'll need to enter the password from #2 )
4) Start Network Analyzer, select the LAN function (second from the left on my iPhone--iPad may be different), click Scan to get the list of devices on your hotspot. Scan should find two devices, one being the iPad, the other should be the dashcam.
5) Record the Mac address of the dashcam (it should a 20 or so characters-long alphanumeric string)
6) Turn off the WiFi hotspot and uninstall Network Analyzer if you don't want to keep it.
7) While still in the car, call Marriott Tech Support and tell them you are trying to connect a device to the Marriott guest WiFi, that you can't get the log in screen, but that you have the Mac address. If he/she asks, you may need to reveal that the device is a WiFi camera (although these days, it could have been some sort of medical device such as an Apnea machine) . But you probably shouldn't volunteer that the device is in the car.
8) Check that everything is working while still in the car then go back to your room and enjoy.
TerryK and LIH Prem like this.

Last edited by nobodyherebutme; Aug 10, 2019 at 7:38 pm Reason: missing words
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Fascinating. I will take a look at this in the morning and see if the pieces fall in place, but please know that I know failures when it comes to IT adventures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.